• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sarge's Annual Memorial Day Thread

It's this time of year, I always think of and miss Sarge! Hope to see another drive-by this year!

11231865_10206958822834954_7910000755227038952_o.jpg

Last edited:
Still going is it? Hey guys! Glad to see the old gang is here and I hope you had a meaningful Memorial Day. Sorry I haven't been around much the past few years. It's been a long climb back from losing Mrs Sarge at the end of 2012, and raising a little Mini Me Mrs Sarge has kept me busy. She's 15 now but has the social schedule of someone that has a drivers license, only she doesn't have a license. And frankly, with the current state of the NFL, I haven't even watched a game in a season and a half. All those POS's can kneel or do what they want, but I don't have to watch it or help support their lifestyle. Not tuning into football kinda makes going to a football message board kinds moot.

So, how has everyone been? Let me know what's going on. Who knows, after Little Sarge is out the door, I might have a little more time to visit. Take care guys!

Still going is it? Hey guys! Glad to see the old gang is here and I hope you had a meaningful Memorial Day. Sorry I haven't been around much the past few years. It's been a long climb back from losing Mrs Sarge at the end of 2012, and raising a little Mini Me Mrs Sarge has kept me busy. She's 15 now but has the social schedule of someone that has a drivers license, only she doesn't have a license. And frankly, with the current state of the NFL, I haven't even watched a game in a season and a half. All those POS's can kneel or do what they want, but I don't have to watch it or help support their lifestyle. Not tuning into football kinda makes going to a football message board kinds moot.

So, how has everyone been? Let me know what's going on. Who knows, after Little Sarge is out the door, I might have a little more time to visit. Take care guys!

Sure glad to see you, Sarge. Life keeps chugging along! You're not the only one who limited their NFL involvement, although not nearly as much as you. Sundays with the kids was far more important.

Just glad to see you drop by!

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day and hopefully gets a well-deserved day off from work. I'll be hanging at home with the wife, throwing some ribs on the grill, watching some UVa national lacrosse championship action, and relaxing. While the day itself has a more serious meaning, those that made the ultimate sacrifice did so in order that we might all enjoy what the US and the freedoms it represents are all about. Hope everyone has a great one :cheers:

I know there are BGO members who have served their country at one time. Stands to reason that a number of them followed their father and even their grandfather when they enlisted. Some of you veterans have probably lost loved ones in the line of fire. I never served. though if I could do things over again I would jump at the chance. To the best of my knowledge very few in my family line ever have, and I can't think of a single relative who died in combat. Memorial Day probably doesn't mean quite the same thing to me as it does to you who have stood a post, but I want you all to know that I will never forget the countless numbers I never knew who made the ultimate sacrifice to preserve the way of life I and everyone else in the United States are privileged to enjoy. I don't know who you are, but you do. Words don't begin to cover it, but thank you.

Thanks for the post brother! I often tell people, there are countless ways to serve. If you or a relative have taught, coached, been in law enforcement, served as a healthcare provider, been a first responder, or volunteered in any capacity - you have absolutely 'served'. One regret in my life - I know next to nothing about my grandfather (my Dad's father). He divorced my Dad's mom when my Dad was just a little kid but went on to serve in WW2 in Patton's tank brigade in North Africa, Sicily, and France. He survived the war, only to come home and contract polio the same year he returned. He died soon thereafter. My Dad was only 10 years old and suffered from that void his whole life.

Well, it was the same pilgrimage I've taken every year since my father passed away 10 years ago for me and my family today. On Memorial Day every year, we pack up the Excursion and head down to Arlington National Cemetery where we visit my father, then meander our way around the cemetery to recognize the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice.

My oldest is now starting to get it...with his very limited 7 year old understanding. He's just proud to know his paca (grandfather) was a Marine. Like you Dude, I wish I'd served in the US Marine like my father before me.

Here my kids sit before his remains. I will make sure they know him, and understand why we honor those who gave all for us.

DSC_2144.jpg

And oh yeah...miss you Sarge!

Thanks for the post brother! I often tell people, there are countless ways to serve. If you or a relative have taught, coached, been in law enforcement, served as a healthcare provider, been a first responder, or volunteered in any capacity - you have absolutely 'served'. One regret in my life - I know next to nothing about my grandfather (my Dad's father). He divorced my Dad's mom when my Dad was just a little kid but went on to serve in WW2 in Patton's tank brigade in North Africa, Sicily, and France. He survived the war, only to come home and contract polio the same year he returned. He died soon thereafter. My Dad was only 10 years old and suffered from that void his whole life.

He served under Patton against the Afrika Korps? Wow. That's upper-tier greatest generation IMO. I find it fascinating that every one of the millions of heroes who arose in that one era (!) never thought of themselves that way, not during or after. It had to be done, so they did it. (damn good thing it wasn't on me and my borderline Boomer/Gen X contemporaries; we'd all be sprecken zie deutsch right now)

Well, it was the same pilgrimage I've taken every year since my father passed away 10 years ago for me and my family today. On Memorial Day every year, we pack up the Excursion and head down to Arlington National Cemetery where we visit my father, then meander our way around the cemetery to recognize the men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice.

My oldest is now starting to get it...with his very limited 7 year old understanding. He's just proud to know his paca (grandfather) was a Marine. Like you Dude, I wish I'd served in the US Marine like my father before me.

Here my kids sit before his remains. I will make sure they know him, and understand why we honor those who gave all for us.

View attachment 4130

And oh yeah...miss you Sarge!

Amen brother. I lost my Pops (Grandpa who raised me) 13 years 11 months ago and I have a hard time with it to this day. I bet you feel something like that with your Dad gone. In my case doing a hitch wouldn't have been following in anyone's footsteps, but I know it would have taught me discipline and mental toughness that would have likely eliminated many of the behavioral issues that tripped me up and held me back for so many of my prime adult years. I don't regret not serving...but I do consider it a missed opportunity. Cheers brother.

My great Uncle Joe died in Italy so I never got to meet him, My great uncle Charlie was a major influence in my life, here is the news story that ran after he passed. its kind of sad, he served as a scout/sniper right up until they reached germany, he was a funny little guy who always helped anyone who asked.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/alberta-veteran-dies-while-france-70th-anniversary-d-010535241.html

Wow - thanks for sharing that - pretty amazing stuff. They both sound like incredible men. And there are probably hundreds of thousands of those kinds of family stories out there.

Memorial Day was great. On D-Day I had a medical appointment at Bethesda Medical Center Walter-Reed and met some WWII vets getting Smartrip cards and using the Metro subway for the 1st time to get to the Memorial. There is something about meeting couples from that generation who have been married60 to 70 years and hearing a portion of their stories.

I thought it would be a great way to close out the day by bumping this thread.

God Bless the USA!!!

On Friday I had the chance to put out miniature flags on veteran graves located in my wife’s hometown. We just got done picking them all up & packing them away. The very least I could do on this weekend to honor the fallen.

sometimes you need a sad face emoji.

far too many people who make me not hate humanity, are killed defending our way of life. we live in a world where all anyone wants to do is fixate on the bad things in america and canada, ignoring that we live in one of the greatest places in the world to live, and the reason it is great is because people gave their lives to make it so

One more ride. What do ya say, Sarge?

I always think first of my Marine Lt. buddy Mike Monroe who lost his life during Desert Storm. One of the nicest guys I’ve ever known who we shared so many good times with in Hawaii. So many others I think of on Memorial Day weekend. Thanks to all who have served or are serving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.