• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Something Positive

Been working dang hard lately... But since I'm in Fort Lauderdale I've been able to see some of my good friends for visits lately. Rode the scooter up to Fort Pierce this weekend to spend some time with one of my best friends in the world. Good friends make all the difference in this world. I feel recharged and ready to take another beating this week.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I had an amazing encounter at work this morning. The owner of the company (who is rarely ever seen by anybody) decides to show up and call me into a conference room to talk to me. He proceeds to tell me that he went out to several dozen stores last week chatting up the employees. He told me one thing he noticed was that my name consistently came up at nearly every stop, and that it was in a very positive way. He said managers, drivers, receivers and other vendors were praising me for my energy, work ethic, and punctuality. He told me the thing that impressed him the most was when he kept hearing that I'm working just as hard and with as much energy at my last stop as I am my first stop, and he was highly impressed.

He then went on to tell me that he doesn't like the current sales rep on the route I merchandise for, because she is always letting her stores run out of stock, she does blind orders, and she has a terrible relationship with managers and store owners. Since the company doesn't like to fire people, he said they will be moving her to a lower volume route at some point, and asked me if I would be interested in taking over her route if the opportunity becomes available. I told him that was my goal the minute I started with the company, and I would love to.

With that promotion comes a 150% pay increase, plus bonuses and commission. For them to offer up the highest grossing route in the territory, that just makes me feel even more proud that the hard work I've been doing these past 5 months is really being noticed. They've never promoted anyone in their first year, but I told my boss months ago I would bust my ass and be a sales rep by the end of the year. That's now become closer to becoming reality, and when I came out of the meeting, my boss was there with a smile on his face and shaking my hand. All he said was, "I'm impressed, I wish we had a dozen more guys like you." Yeah, it's gonna be a good day :D

Considering where my life was as recently as 6 months ago, I never could have imagined things would be going this great right now. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

very nice!! congrats on that!

so, my son is getting smarter and more active day by day. He can sit up on his own now for minutes on end and even catches himself when he starts to lean to the side one way or the other too much. He tries to help hold his bottle, he responds when you speak to him like he is trying to talk back, he is just so freaking cool and fun.

This morning when his nana was holding him she came in the living room and he saw me and just started squirming in her arms until she said, "I think he wants you" he has never done this before. So when I walked over and grabbed him he put his head on my chest and then lifted it up, looked at me, and smiled from ear to ear.

I am not too big to say it brought a tear to my eye. That little boy loves me dearly and it just affirms that all of my hard work is paying off.

Grew up in a very outdoorsy family and my older brother has been a a river rafting guide since he was 16. Through that work, he became best friends with some of his rafting company's other guides and they began competing in river rafting/kayaking events. They were very successful, representing the US in the World Championships in 1999 and winning US Nationals in 2001 and placing 5th in the Worlds in 2001 (a once in a lifetime trip to Zimbabwe I was lucky enough to go on). After that trip (which was crazy, having involved a near death encounter with a hippo, a near drowning, one of my family members getting thrown in a Zambian jail, trying to fly home on September 11 where we found out our country was under attack and getting stuck overseas for 8 days where my brother missed the birth of his child) the guys decided to retire (likely with prodding from their wives) so they could get on with their real careers and raising their families.

ANYWAY, fast forward 13 years and the former team captain found out the US National Championship was being held on the Cal Salmon, close to where we live. All the guys still live in the area and they decided on a whim to enter the competition as kind of their little swan song. Having not paddled together for over a decade, not being in their prime physical shape, and well, being close to their 40's, they just wanted to have fun and see where the rafting world was, competition-wise, over a decade later. All the guys started getting in shape in January and tried to fit paddling in with one guy or another as their crazy schedules allowed. Their first time all paddling together as a foursome was Friday, a day before the competition, lol.

Well, they ended up blowing away fully-sponsored, much younger teams who train year around and finished 2nd in every event and 2nd overall, by literally 1.5 seconds! As it turned out, people in the rafting world have been wondering for years where the heck they've been since disappearing from the scene after '01 and were always wondering if they would make a comeback. They couldn't believe the guys came back and did so well with their ragtag 4 month training and the crowd gave them a standing ovation at the award ceremony :laugh:

Anyhow, just a very fun weekend with a lot of laughter (i.e. one of the guys' couldn't properly fit into his old wetsuit and it kept popping open, one of the young guys on another team recognizing my brother and saying he watched old VHS videos of his 1999-2001 team as part of his training when he first started competing in rafting and just the hilarity of these old farts getting back into the competition against a bunch of young guys). Just wanted to share because it was pretty cool to watch these 4 best buddies get back together, this time being watched by their 11 kids, and teach the young college guys a few things about rafting. :laugh:

Here's a link to the story in the local newspaper.
'Dads with jobs' regroup to run the river | MailTribune.com

K-, don't you need a man to put the worm on the hook for you? :laugh:

What Brian means is, he's got my phone number if you need help :)

Way cool story Katie! Old guys rule!!! :cheers:

Thanks guys! Definitely a lot of fun and a lot of good stories for the guys to reminisce about for years to come :)

seems like every time your family touches the water they have a story to tell.

wasn't it the last time that he had to save the life of a guy who jumped and almost died?

seems like every time your family touches the water they have a story to tell.

wasn't it the last time that he had to save the life of a guy who jumped and almost died?
Maybe it's just because we're on the water so much there's more opportunities for hippo chases and drunk people jumping off bridges trying to commit suicide, lol. Good grief.

Holy cow, that is absolutely incredible. Goes to show there are miracles happening around us all the time. :)

I had to refrain from posting it on Facebook. Its like baby fever on there right now and the last thing I need is accidentally causing someone to worry when they most likely have nothing to fear.

Today was so fun it felt like fathers day

It takes just over nine minutes to watch this video, but it is worth the time. Russell is a very special cat and has defied the odds. The medical team in Raleigh, NC has been nothing short of phenomenal. Russell still has a ways to go, but he will be fine. A few scars here and there will remain, but any kind of recovery is miraculous under the circumstances. Go Team Russell!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.