• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Problem With DMV Sports

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I'll let you in on a little secret that I learned many years ago.

Another early exit by the Caps yet again illustrates a painful truth about sports in the DMV.

The Caps suffer from what nearly all DMV sports teams, be it high school, college or pro teams seem to be plagued by. Except the Redskins.

They're soft.

The DMV is an incredible place. It boasts some of the best high schools and colleges in the country. It produces very intelligent, well-rounded and successful people. The housing market is near the top, and it has a job market that provides wonderful opportunities. It's an amazing place to raise a family. Those are the things that really matter in this world. But when it comes to sports?

Forget it.

No chance.

The Caps have been soft for thirty years now. Rod Langway was a man's man. But those around him? Pansies for the most part. Kevin Hatcher was tough, but Bobby Carpenter and Bengt Gustafsson weren't. Then Hatcher left.

It's always been the same story.

The Caps have been outmuscled by teams like Philly and Pittsburgh for decades. Blue collar towns, that may not produce the highest SAT scores, but have always known they could have their way with the Caps.

It starts early in life, and unfortunately for fans of DMV teams all over, it never seems to stop.

A Virginia high school football team versus one of the top Florida high school football teams? It's a rout. They'll suffer the same sentence against a team from Texas.

Ugly.

Cover your eyes.

It continues into college football. It's how you know that while you watch what seems to be a pretty good Virginia Tech football team--you never fool yourself into thinking they ever have a chance of going all the way. When they face the really good teams in a game that matters, the outcome is tragically certain.

Another early exit by the Caps just shines light again on an obvious truth. This time the refs are the excuse. But that's not the real reason. It's never been the real reason.

Thankfully, sports rank far down the list of what's really crucial in life. And that's what's important to remember. And that's where the DMV truly shines as a national champion.

Last edited:
You do realize that most players on professional sports teams are not actually from the same city, right? Especially in the NHL.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Yea your post does not bring up the suspected actual and specific cause, or common denominator, other than the location that they play their games in, which is not enough evidence to support that there's something about DC that makes teams soft. Which, until that is indicated, would leave one to believe that it's pure coincidence. And it's actually not a huge coincidence, considering a lot of pro teams, and entire cities have multiple teams, that consistently suck, and/or are soft, and/or can't make it to the next level.
In fact, there's only ONE team each year, that does NOT make an early exit from contention.

Not to mention, the Penguins two biggest stars are a Canadian and a Russian, both of whom make a bag of cotton balls look like cinder blocks. :)

You also realize that places like Florida, California, and Texas bus kids to different schools for better opportunities in sports as well, right?

I've witnessed it first hand.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

This is no longer true in Texas. In fact, schools and teams can get in real trouble for this now. They can also get into real trouble for recruiting athletes from other school districts and getting them to move to attend a school with better athletic teams. A local high school was recently stripped of a couple of state basket ball titles for these types of violations.

This is no longer true in Texas. In fact, schools and teams can get in real trouble for this now. They can also get into real trouble for recruiting athletes from other school districts and getting them to move to attend a school with better athletic teams. A local high school was recently stripped of a couple of state basket ball titles for these types of violations.

Does that only apply to public schools? Or all of them?

I actually think the problem with DMV sports has more to do with the fans/media in the area, coupled with owners trying to appease those fans/media instead of doing what is necessary.

Very over-reactionary, over-critical, bandwagony, pretend experts.

Not to be confused with people that just want to offer their opinions on things. I'm talking about the people that take it to the next level, make demands on the organization, and can't identify with the fact that they're just a fan not a professional GM/owner/coach/etc.

I actually think the problem with DMV sports has more to do with the fans/media in the area, coupled with owners trying to appease those fans/media instead of doing what is necessary.

Very over-reactionary, over-critical, bandwagony, pretend experts.

Not to be confused with people that just want to offer their opinions on things. I'm talking about the people that take it to the next level, make demands on the organization, and can't identify with the fact that they're just a fan not a professional GM/owner/coach/etc.

Welcome being a sports fan? News flash: this happens in every city, lol. It is NOT unique to the DMV.

Damn!

I didn't even know the Department of Motor Vehicles had any teams.

Bump......

Why would you bump this, because the Caps did not reach the paloffs?

Your theory is absolutely correct in terms of younger kids, college and high school athletes. DMV is one of the richest areas in the country and the children (for the most part) are not in desperate need to use an avenue outside of academics to succeed like you see in Pahokee, Okeechobee, the Glades or other similar areas in Texas and other states where their only way out is their athleticism.

The idea that the Caps not making the playoffs supports this theory is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard!

There's some validity to McD5's comments. I myself frequently ask my Caps and 'Wizards (God it's hard for me to call them that ridiculous name)-loving friends how they can stomach all that pain. Isn't being a Redskins fan typically stressful enough? :) But there are many other sports towns that are far worse, and it's not even close. As far as colleges go, I think you're way off base complaining there. Even my alma mater, although a weak football school, has a number of NCAA championships under it's belt - baseball, tennis, soccer, lacrosse - and that's JUST UVa! The DMV area is fantastic for college sports. Nitpicking because Va Tech isn't the National Champion in football every year, well, that's really tunnel vision.

Now Pro Sports - I think you may have a point, although I believe the Nationals are going to break through big one of these years. And, of course, our Redskins :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.