• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Building Blocks For Future

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Iam glad the WP decided amid the current chaos to run the story on Jeremy Jarmon and his more rapid than expected development at DE.

For some younger Redskins fans seeing the team identify talented college players, bring them in and then successfully develop them might think this quite novel and new, but older fans can only smile at the symmetry with what we used to see happen here quite frequently.

Certainly Jarmon is not the only younger player on this team with a potentially bright future, ignoring for a moment Jimmy Johnson's blanket statement about the teams lack of players.

But the future of a number of these players is really dependent upon how they are used by the next coaching staff.

There is no reason Orakpo, Landry and others can't or shouldn't be freed up to play their natural positions and other players found to fill the holes created and complement them.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Jarmon and Orakpo should be the starting DEs from 2010 on....

The Skins should re-sign McIntosh, either draft or find an affordable FA SLB and determine if Blades or Henson will be the next Fletcher or find his future replacement now.

I also think the Redskins need to find 2-3 more defensive tackles to replace Griffin and Montgomery and determine if Golston really is a starter or a solid rotational guy (either way resign him).

At CB, I would re-sign Carlos but not even close to what Hall is getting and get some veteran depth at that position. I'm still not sold that Tryon is a legit nickle and we have no clue what Barnes will do (other than ride the bench) at this point.

Landry is better as the in the box SS, the attempt to move him to FS was valid (b/c look at the guys skill set), but I'm not convinced he can do the same role as Sean Taylor. Maybe the Skins could trade either Doughty or Horton (two guys I really, really like but realize they will lose snaps to Landry) and try to find a solid FS, unless Moore or Horton could fit that bill.

My 2010 projections (? will mean a player that either isn't here or we don't have anybody there) for 1st and 2nd team

RDE Orakpo, Wilson
RT Haynesworth, ?
LT Golston/?, ?
LDE Jarmon, Alexander

WLB McIntosh, Blades/?
MLB Fletcher, Blades/?, Henson
SLB ?, Wilson/Orakpo/?

CB Rogers, ?
SS Landry, Horton/Doughty
FS ?, Moore
CB Hall, ?

The team definitely needs to err on the side of getting younger, a process already underway due to the injury bug that has hit in 2009.

The next HC needs to make an honest assessment of Kelly, Thomas and the rest of the Vinny picks from 2008.

A lot hinges on whether these guys can really play or are being kept to avoid embarrassment.

It seems to me when I think of the Redskins roster, and who I would keep if I were totally rebuilding this team, most of the players are on defense. The only one on offense I'd really fight to keep would keep Cooley. Moss and Portis are good, but aging, and if I'm rebuilding, might as well shed some salaries and get younger. There's nothing to keep on the line, unless you want to keep some of our starters as backups.

The team definitely needs to err on the side of getting younger, a process already underway due to the injury bug that has hit in 2009.

The next HC needs to make an honest assessment of Kelly, Thomas and the rest of the Vinny picks from 2008.

A lot hinges on whether these guys can really play or are being kept to avoid embarrassment.

Here is the problem as I see it. The team really does lack alot of young talent to build around. We do have Chris Cooley, Laron Landry, Jeremy Jarmon, Brian Orakpo, Kedric Golston, and Chris Horton. Other than that, who cares.

If the team steps away from Vinny Cerrato and brings in a professional, i know my focus would be offensive line FIRST. I would be looking at 2 free agents (younger ones) and 2 draft picks, maybe the first and third rounds. It needs rebuilt. I think we can get by with Casey Rabach for one additional year. BUT qwe must get a new RT and RG, and provide some good quality young depth at both OG and OT.

Other than that, the Redskins have too many needs to address all in one offseason. I'd start on the Line. Because that is where winning begins.

Players I don't let go for any reason: Orakpo, Jarmon, Haynesworth, Cooley

Players I don't let go for anything less than a stupid good deal*: Landry, McIntosh, Blades, Doughty, Horton, Rogers, Mitchell, Dockery, Golston, Wilson

Players I might want to keep but want an honest evaluation of by coaches: Davis, Thomas, Kelly, Rinehart

Almost anything else is negotiable if it's me making the decisions. ARE is likely gone at this point. I would keep Moss but would want to investigate using him in the slot (hey, if ARE is effective there Moss should be scary good). I would also keep Portis, I think. He has a lot going for him on the field and we just don't have anyone who can do what he does right now. You can't fill all the holes this team has in a year (or even two years, for that matter).

QB and Offensive Line are the major question marks at this point and that is where the resources need to go. I'm not sure we can really figure out if we have anything in Davis, Kelly and Thomas until such time as we solid QB play.

(*)Stupid good deal is defined as a draft pick equal to what we gave to get them or better. A lot better in some cases (example - Horton would not go anywhere for less than a 3rd at this point even though we only gave a 7th for him).

Last edited:
I wouldn't think about keeping Portis. Sorry.

I see nothing in him that the Redskins couldn't get from a fourth-round running back.

I wouldn't think about keeping Portis. Sorry.

I see nothing in him that the Redskins couldn't get from a fourth-round running back.

I am not arguing that we couldn't. Just that we need that 4th round pick for other things as long as we have Portis now. Like I said, this is not a one year fix. Might not be a two year fix. That means someone has to stay for a while and Portis is head and shoulders better at RB today than most of our Offensive Line, our Receivers and much of our Secondary are at their positions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.