• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Robert Griffin Stirs Controversy w/ Tweet

Bob, I sure hope you're trolling like I think you're trolling.

Can you explain your comment fanboy - sounds to me like he's saying exactly what he thinks. I don't see any room for interpretation, and Griffin doesn't strike me as someone who says things 'for effect'.

People are going wild over this on the net from every side possible. Some supporting, some bashing.

Which only serves to prove Griffin's point. Love that we have a guy under center who says what he thinks and means it.

Yeah Boone, the way he has handled this is, thus far, has been impressive. It shows 2 things, he is not afraid to discuss delicate topics, and he shows the intelligence to show others their lack of...while being discreet about it. The kid can/will make a good politician one day.

and he shows the intelligence to show others their lack of

This part is up for debate. Many, especially African Americans, seem to be calling him incredibly stupid for these comments. "Tell that to Rosa Parks" one wrote.

The downside of his tweet, if one wants the name to stay as is, is that it is now bringing a lot of attention to the topic.

CBS sports is now starting to run with it.

Twitter can be tough for athletes. "Tyranny" may not have been the best choice of words.

Last edited:
You guys are missing the point. Tyranny is the exactly the right word. We've reached a point in America where we're not only told what we should believe, but anyone who disagrees with the homogenous 'correct' viewpoint and who has the balls to voice their view is attacked by the mob.

Good for griffin for not cow-towing to the mob or cowering in fear of saying something politically incorrect.

You guys are missing the point. Tyranny is the exactly the right word. We've reached a point in America where we're not only told what we should believe, but anyone who disagrees with the homogenous 'correct' viewpoint and who has the balls to voice their view is attacked by the mob.

Good for griffin for not cow-towing to the mob or cowering in fear of saying something politically incorrect.

I don't disagree with your point....to an extent. I love a leader. Lord knows we've needed one for over ten years at the QB position.

I also agree that the politically correct movement is over the top. Way over the top.

But comparing the "tyranny" of being asked to conform to politically correct speech, while wearing the helmet of a people who were thrown out of their own land, and forced to move into camps or reservations--people who lost everything and faced real tyranny--is absurd.

I believe a better word could have been used.

Last edited:
What are you willing to take a stand for these days? There was a time when you could say something without fear or retribution. Say something that you think is innocently stated and with the best of intentions, then someone takes offense and your life can change dramatically (lawsuit, loss of employment, eviction, etc.).

At what point do we say "enough is enough"? One person takes a stand and will we stand by him or will we stand to the side and let tyranny become the norm?

What are you willing to take a stand for these days? There was a time when you could say something without fear or retribution. Say something that you think is innocently stated and with the best of intentions, then someone takes offense and your life can change dramatically (lawsuit, loss of employment, eviction, etc.).

At what point do we say "enough is enough"? One person takes a stand and will we stand by him or will we stand to the side and let tyranny become the norm?

This is exactly right. It's out of control. But knowing that, what choice should the athlete make? Confronting it is great, but the Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning theory is another option--just don't write controversial stuff about social issues on twitter that may prove to be a distraction while employed by the team. Both approaches have merit.

And I'm not sure the stand he is taking--that we are victims of politically correct speech--really compares to the suffering of those the team is named after.

Here is an interesting response written to the article above:

I’m not offended by the name, but lets be honest, the black, yellow, brown, or white skins would have been changed many years ago. If the name was even slightly offensive to the Jewish people, the Anti-Defamation League would sue the NFL into oblivion. I’m sure they could partner up with a local tribe, adopt their actual name, and keep the current logo.

Does anybody disagree that those other names would have been changed? Of course not. So I'm not exactly sure what his stand is.

Good for Robert. I hope, as the ignorance over his proper use of the word "tyranny" grows, he will continue to hold his ground.

Hail To The Redskins

Twitter can be tough for athletes. "Tyranny" may not have been the best choice of words.

It's the perfect word.

We've reached a turning point in this nation where politicians dip into your pockets in the name of "charity" and call you greedy when you want to keep more of what you make, tell you what you can eat, what you can drink, soon what you can say... that's government acting tyrannically.

Tyranny doesn't just have to do with guns and jackboots.

Nick

This is exactly right. It's out of control. But knowing that, what choice should the athlete make? Confronting it is great, but the Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning theory is another option--just don't write controversial stuff about social issues on twitter that may prove to be a distraction while employed by the team. Both approaches have merit.

And I'm not sure the stand he is taking--that we are victims of politically correct speech--really compares to the suffering of those the team is named after.

Here is an interesting response written to the article above:

I’m not offended by the name, but lets be honest, the black, yellow, brown, or white skins would have been changed many years ago. If the name was even slightly offensive to the Jewish people, the Anti-Defamation League would sue the NFL into oblivion. I’m sure they could partner up with a local tribe, adopt their actual name, and keep the current logo.

Does anybody disagree that those other names would have been changed? Of course not. So I'm not exactly sure what his stand is.

yea I'm going to disagree for one reason alone...your entire premise is falsely put since the history of the word, the people and the word's use is not only in question but in direct conflict with said premise. Fact is those other terms are pejoratives foisted on their subjects by other people while Redskin is NOT a pejorative, never has been and was actually a term widely used and made common by those subjects who were subjected to tyranny themselves (only after their tribes went on a tyrannical conquest and wiped all the ORIGINAL tribes tat were once there. So they conquered and eventually were conquered themselves. That's called history and it's happened all over the world so many times I couldn't begin to count it. Every modern day map was drawn by it.).

I hate the offseason.

this is why twitter is dumb, by the way.

there was absolutely no context to Griffin's tweet, yet everyone stepped right up to give it the context they desired.

was it about the team name? who the **** knows, maybe it was a random thought he had after discussing politics at the dinner table with his fiancé's father?

Anyone that's followed Griffin on twitter (I follow him) knows damn well he does this all the time. He says random 1-2 sentence stuff that's meant to be thought provoking, but there's never any context given as to what exactly sparked the thought.

This is par for the course with Griffin, he does this 2, 3, 4 times a day. This is also par for the course for the internet; mob rule, facts be damned, eat it up and run with it as quick as you can.

Instead of getting really wrapped up in whether or not there is a problem with the team name or the way it's discussed, I encourage the rest of you guys to take a step back. Don't get sucked into the bull****.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I assumed he was talking about how is 'Dallas was our home' comment was taken.

It wasn't until I read the firestorm of responses that it occurred to me he might be talking about the team mascot.

In either case I didn't think it was a big enough deal to, you know, care about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.