• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Select Seven Players in 2013 Draft

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
April 27, 2013

REDSKINS SELECT SEVEN PLAYERS IN 2013 NFL DRAFT

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins finalized their 2013 NFL Draft class on Saturday, selecting seven players over three days, including three defensive backs – the most since selecting three defensive backs in the 2008 NFL Draft. The team’s 2013 draft class is as follows:

ROUND (PICK) PLAYER SCHOOL
2 (51) CB David Amerson North Carolina State
3 (85) TE Jordan Reed Florida
4 (119) S Phillip Thomas Fresno State
5 (154) RB Chris Thompson Florida State
5 (162) LB Brandon Jenkins Florida State
6 (191) S Bacarri Rambo Georgia
7 (228) RB Jawan Jamison Rutgers

NOTES ON REDSKINS OVERALL DRAFT
• With seven selections, the Redskins made at least seven picks for the ninth time since the institution of the seven-round draft in 1994. This is the first time in that timeframe in which the Redskins have picked at least seven in three consecutive years.

• Washington has now selected 28 players in the past three drafts, the most of any three-year period in team history since the institution of the seven-round format. The team had previously posted a three-year total of 27 from 2010-12. The 28 picks by the Redskins in the past three seasons are the most since selecting 29 players from 1991-93, which included two 12-round drafts and one eight-round draft.

• The Redskins selected two players who led the Football Bowl Subdivision in interceptions over the past two seasons (David Amerson, 13 in 2011; Phillip Thomas, eight in 2012). Safety Bacarri Rambo was second in the FBS in interceptions in 2011 with eight.

• This is the second time in three years that the Redskins have selected three players who played collegiately in the state of Florida (2011 – WR Leonard Hankerson, OL Maurice Hurt, LB Markus White).

• This is the 15th time in the Common Draft era (since 1967) that the Redskins have selected college teammates in a draft class (1969, 1970, 1974, 1975, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1993, 2002, 2005, 2011, 2012, 2013). This is the fifth time that this has happened since the NFL instituted the seven-round format in 1994.

• The Redskins have selected a set of college teammates in three consecutive years for the first time in the Common Draft era (2013: RB Chris Thompson, LB Brandon Jenkins – Florida State; 2012: G Josh LeRibeus, CB Richard Crawford – SMU; 2012: G Adam Gettis, S Jordan Bernstine – Iowa; 2011: RB Roy Helu, Jr., S DeJon Gomes, WR Niles Paul – Nebraska).

• This is the first time in the Shanahan/Allen era that the Redskins did not make a draft-day trade.

• This is the first time since 2003-05 a Mike Shanahan-coached team has selected five running backs in a three-year span (2011 – Roy Helu, Jr., Evan Royster; 2012 – Alfred Morris; 2013 – Chris Thompson, Jawan Jamison).

NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF DAVID AMERSON
• The selection marks the earliest the Redskins have taken a defensive back since selecting safety LaRon Landry out of LSU with the sixth overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. It marks the earliest the team has taken a cornerback since selecting Carlos Rogers out of Auburn with the ninth overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.

• The selection marks the earliest a Shanahan-coached team has taken a defensive back since selecting cornerback Willie Middlebrooks out of Minnesota with the No. 24 overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft as head coach of the Denver Broncos.

• Amerson is the sixth defensive back selected by a Shanahan-coached team in the first 51 picks of a draft, joining Middlebrooks, Kenoy Kennedy (No. 45, DEN 2000), Deltha O’Neal (No. 15, DEN 2000), Tory James (No. 44, DEN 1996) and Terry McDaniel (No. 9, LA Raiders 1988).

• Amerson is the seventh player from NC State selected by the Redskins all-time and the second in the Common Draft era. Below are the six previous NC State products drafted by the Redskins:
Year Rd. Pick Pos. Player
1937 10 96 E Dom “Mac” Cara
1952 22 259 B Jim O'Rourke
1953 11 123 B Alex Webster
1958 11 126 T Darrell Dess
1960 18 208 G John Lawrence
2000 3 64 DB Lloyd Harrison

• Amerson is the first NC State product drafted by a Shanahan-coached team.

• Amerson is the fifth player to be selected by the Redskins with the No. 51 pick of a draft all-time, joining the following players:
Year Rd. Pick Pos. Player College
1945 6 51 E Johnny North Vanderbilt
1953 5 51 B Nick Carras Missouri
1997 2 51 LB Greg Jones Colorado
2008 2 51 WR Malcolm Kelly Oklahoma

• Amerson shares his draft selection in common with Redskins Defensive Coordinator Jim Haslett, who was selected with the No. 51 overall selection in the 1979 NFL Draft.

NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF JORDAN REED
• The selection marks the earliest the Redskins have taken a tight end since selecting Fred Davis out of USC with the No. 48 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. He is the first college tight end selected by the Redskins in the Shanahan era.

• Reed is the second tight end selected by the Redskins in the third round all-time, joining Utah State’s Chris Cooley, the team’s all-time leader in receptions by a tight end, who was selected by Washington with the No. 81 overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft.

• Reed is the 12th player from the University of Florida selected by the Redskins all-time and the fifth Gator selected by the Redskins in the Common Draft era.

• Reed is only the second player all-time selected by the Redskins at No. 85 overall, joining Kansas running back Bert Coan (1962).

• Reed is the seventh college tight end selected by a Shanahan-coached team and the first since Tony Scheffler, who was selected by Shanahan’s Denver Broncos in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft.

• Reed is the eighth player from the University of Florida selected by a Shanahan-coached team, the most of any school.

• Reed is the third player selected by the Redskins in the Shanahan era to have played for a school at which Shanahan used to coach, joining Hurt (Florida, 2011) and tackle Trent Williams (Oklahoma, 2010). Including Shanahan’s time in Los Angeles and Denver, Reed is the 18th player taken by a Shanahan-coached team to come from a university at which Shanahan has coached in his career (Oklahoma, Northern Arizona, Eastern Illinois, Minnesota and Florida).
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF PHILLIP THOMAS
• Thomas is the first Fresno State product selected by a Shanahan-coached team.

• Thomas is the sixth player selected by the Redskins with the No. 119 overall selection all-time. He joins E Joe Tereshinski (1946), T Weldon Edwards (1947), B Billy Joe (1963), DE Dexter Manley (1981) and LB Keenan Robinson (2012).

• With the selection of Thomas and Robinson in consecutive years, the Redskins have made selections at No. 119 overall in consecutive years for the second time in team history (1946-47).

• Thomas is the third player from Fresno State selected by the Redskins all-time, joining B Jackie Fellows (1944) and WR Tydus Winans (1994).

• This marks the fourth time a Shanahan-coached team has selected at least two defensive backs in the first four rounds of the draft, joining Shanahan’s 1996 (Tory James and Darrius Johnson), 2000 (Deltha O’Neal and Kenoy Kennedy) and 2005 (Darrent Williams, Karl Paymah and Domonique Foxworth) draft classes with the Denver Broncos.
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF CHRIS THOMPSON
• Thompson is third player selected with the No. 154 selection by the Redskins, joining Delaware State receiver Darnerian McCants (2001) and Louisville linebacker Robert McCune (2005).

• Thompson is the 22nd running back selected by a Shanahan-coached team but the first to have played collegiately in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

• Thompson is the second player selected with the No. 154 selection by a Shanahan-coached team along with wide receiver Muneer Moore (2000 – Richmond).
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF BRANDON JENKINS
• This marks the fifth time in the Common Draft era (since 1967) that the Redskins have drafted a pair of college teammates with consecutive picks. The five instances are as follows:
Year College Players (Overall selection)
2013 Florida State Chris Thompson (154), Brandon Jenkins (162)
2011 Nebraska Roy Helu, Jr. (105), DeJon Gomes (146), Niles Paul (155)
2005 Auburn Carlos Rogers (9), Jason Campbell (25)
1993 Notre Dame Tom Carter (17), Reggie Brooks (45)
1969 Virginia Rick Brand (347), Paul Rogers (374)

• Jenkins becomes the eighth Florida State player selected by the Redskins all-time, joining the following players:
Year Rd. Pick Pos. Player
1958 23 270 E Ron Schomburger
1961 19 255 E Tony Romeo
1962 20 267 QB Ed Trancygier
1966 9 131 LB Jack Shinholser
1993 4 101 DE Sterling Palmer
2011 7 224 LB Markus White
2013 5 154 RB Chris Thompson

• Jenkins is the fourth Seminole selected by a Shanahan-coached team. He is the first player from any school taken by a Shanahan-coached team with the No. 162 overall pick.

• Thompson is the 15th linebacker selected by a Shanahan-coached team and the second to have played collegiately in the Atlantic Coast Conference (White).

NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF BACARRI RAMBO
• Rambo is the third player selected by the Redskins from Georgia in the Common Draft era (since 1967), joining cornerback Champ Bailey (1999) and defensive lineman Kedric Golston (2006).

• Rambo is the fourth player selected by a Shanahan-coached team from Georgia, joining running back Terrell Davis (1995), running back Olandis Gary (1999) and tackle George Foster (2003).

• Rambo will become the second safety on the Redskins’ current roster to have been drafted by the organization in the sixth round (Reed Doughty – 2006).

• Rambo is the fifth player selected by the Redskins with the No. 191 overall pick all-time, joining back Steve Juzwik (1942), center Heath Wingate (1966), running back Larry Brown (1969) and cornerback David Terrell (1998).

• Rambo is the second player selected by a Shanahan-coached team with the No. 191 pick, joining tight end Jeb Putzier in 2002.
NOTES ON THE SELECTION OF JAWAN JAMISON
• The selections of Jamison and running back Chris Thompson (No. 154 overall) represented the seventh time a Shanahan-coached team has selected multiple running backs in a draft class and the second time in his tenure with Washington (2011 – Roy Helu, Jr. and Evan Royster).

• Jamison is the third player selected by the Redskins from Rutgers, joining defensive back Don Harris (No. 300, 1977) and back Bully Austin (No. 329, 1959).

• Jamison is the sixth player selected by the Redskins with the No. 228 pick, joining tackle Hal Mullins (1947), back Dick West (1948), back Frank Pattee (1949), kicker Mike Flater (1974) and defensive end Dallas Hickman (1975).

• Jamison is the first player from Rutgers selected by a Shanahan-coached team.

• Jamison is the second player selected by a Shanahan-coached team with the No. 228 pick, joining defensive back Chris Young in 2002.

I will, of course, jump in here with my yearly "Why the **** didn't we select any Offensive Linemen" post. What good is having RGIII and/or Cousins if they're going to get creamed?

Sarge, forgive my edit, but I don't think you meant to quote the entire OP. I'm just taking it out so we can get to your post more quickly. -- Henry

Last edited by a moderator:
I will, of course, jump in here with my yearly "Why the **** didn't we select any Offensive Linemen" post. What good is having RGIII and/or Cousins if they're going to get creamed?

Hi Sarge!! Great to see ya back!!

I was a little concerned over that as well, but looking at the roster, I think we have something like 12 or 13 OL for depth where most teams are using 5-7.

I know that zbs linemen take a little longer to develop so maybe they expect some to blossom this season that were added in previous years?

A Sarge sighting! :)

I think one reason was that we had the #1 run offense in the league, 2nd in rushing yards per attempt and were 12th in sacks allowed. While our offensive line may not be great, particularly at RT, and obviously Griffin's dynamic play covers for that a lot, our OL is just not something that's a glaring weakness any more.

Our secondary absolutely is.

I know Shanahan likes to draft at least one RB every year just cuz, but I wish he was that way about linemen. Can't have everything I guess.

The only issue I have with what you are suggesting Ss is while this system is going to create a great run game, the right side of our line was abysmal in pass pro. I like many of the pics we made but I just don't think we could afford to take flyers in UDFA to fill the need at RT. Tyler Polumbus isn't going to get it done and neither of the old vets brought in are likely to fill that need.

Overall, I am not entirely disappointed with this draft. We filled positions of need with apparent steals in guys like Thomas and Rambo, but Chris Thompson? As a Seminole, I am scratching my head with that pick.

Who knows? Maybe the kid we got in UDFA from UF...Dixon will develop. He seems to be a solid guy for what we do here. Eww...I think this Seminole just threw up in his mouth a little.

Last edited:
NOTES ON REDSKINS OVERALL DRAFT
• With seven selections, the Redskins made at least seven picks for the ninth time since the institution of the seven-round draft in 1994. This is the first time in that timeframe in which the Redskins have picked at least seven in three consecutive years.

Washington has now selected 28 players in the past three drafts, the most of any three-year period in team history since the institution of the seven-round format. The team had previously posted a three-year total of 27 from 2010-12. The 28 picks by the Redskins in the past three seasons are the most since selecting 29 players from 1991-93, which included two 12-round drafts and one eight-round draft.
These are the types of stats I am really happy with. So glad to be building from the draft these past few years. :D

I wasn't as concerned about drafting OL players going into this draft as I was shoring up our ABYSMAL secondary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.