• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Select CB David Amerson, TE Jordan Reed

Personally, I like what they are doing under circumstances in which they are being totally screwed by the NFL and in which they gave away the farm for 3 years to have the chance to sign a franchise QB.
First off, part my initial, complaint, was how we seem to like being a doormat.
The NFL/Goodell/Mara, as well as some former players, wipe their feet on us, because we just lay there with "Welcome" written on our foreheads. We allow it to happen. Not surprising that it does. Infuriating, but not surprising.

Second, I don't consider what we gave up to get Robert, "the farm". I see it as far less costly than curling up in the fetal position and accepting the cap theft without any fight, at all.

And, it's only two years. ;)

brother AX

- it's 3 yrs: we switched 1st round positions as part of the deal; yea...minor and we benefitted; and we gave up our second rnd pick; first round this past draft + next yr

- not making a judgment on the value of the deal; just saying that ANY deal that involves trading a second + two firsts is a lot of talent.

yea...I'm surprised we didn't take some swipes ala AL Davis. we don't know what threats were made in the background - don't forget there are other things going on like the Skins miserable record on drug abuses over the last several years and the period Williams was here. also, it looks like Dallas wasn't willing to go along with a hard core response.

I'm going by years without a 1st, which is only two. :cuss:

And, since they could both be busts, it doesn't concern me.

If anyone we drafted 4th rd or later is a starter, it makes the 1st we didn't have irrelevant, to me.

And showing weakness, invites abuse.

.... maybe Ill be less irritated but passing on a solid OT who filled the second biggest need, was ridiculous. sorry, but our Oline is atrociuos, rib looked good because he replaced a guy who was playing terrible football, polumbus was solid in the run game but was embarassing bad in the pass game. chester cant run block. im not looking forward to watching RG3 take needless hits for yet another year and if this team doesnt match last years record, I will be the first one calling for haslett and shanny to gtfo

But RT isn't the second biggest need on this team. I'm not sure you could successfully argue that it is even the third biggest need. I put both Safety positions and a Cornerback ahead of it, especially in light of the FA additions this offseason.

And the numbers don't back you up on the "atrocious" statement. It just isn't true, Ryman, and you continuing to preach your thoughts as fact to all of us won't change that. We all have eyes and, while we may not have played the game, we all have studied the game enough to have more than just slightly informed opinion. Our line is middle of the pack, at worst. Yes, we could do better at RT and I think we will see better play from that position this year regardless of who is starting there simply because there are 4 guys who will fight of it in training camp. But the RT position did not cost a football game last year.

As for matching last year's record, I believe it will happen but I also know it will be tough. This year we play a first place schedule while last year we played a 3rd place schedule. This are different animals. We can do it but it won't be a cake walk.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/..._medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=articlebottom

Undrafted free agents 2013: 10 best signings

By Ryan Rosenblatt Apr 28 2013

Xavier Nixon, OT, Washington Redskins

Nixon had a strong freshman season, but plateaued there. He never made good on his big 6'6 frame, long arms and quick feet that made him one of the nation's most sought-after high school recruits. Most of that can be attributed to technique, but there were also questions about his focus. He rarely showed the consistency of an elite tackle that his physical gifts hinted he was. The Redskins are taking a gamble on the fact that they can tap into Nixon's talent and get him to play hard every snap. If they're right, they'll have stolen a good blocker.

Not sure signing an undrafted rookie FA is much of a gamble. :)

But RT isn't the second biggest need on this team. I'm not sure you could successfully argue that it is even the third biggest need. I put both Safety positions and a Cornerback ahead of it, especially in light of the FA additions this offseason.

And the numbers don't back you up on the "atrocious" statement. It just isn't true, Ryman, and you continuing to preach your thoughts as fact to all of us won't change that. We all have eyes and, while we may not have played the game, we all have studied the game enough to have more than just slightly informed opinion. Our line is middle of the pack, at worst. Yes, we could do better at RT and I think we will see better play from that position this year regardless of who is starting there simply because there are 4 guys who will fight of it in training camp. But the RT position did not cost a football game last year.

As for matching last year's record, I believe it will happen but I also know it will be tough. This year we play a first place schedule while last year we played a 3rd place schedule. This are different animals. We can do it but it won't be a cake walk.

Corner wasnt great but you can win games with decent corners by schemeing and applying pressure, I agree safety was probably our biggest hole, but perhaps you should look closer at the stats, Polumbus did ok run blocking but was terrible in pass pro, so yes atrocious is the right wording. he graded out as one of the worst starting tackles in the NFL and our rush yards avg on that side wasnt great either.

we got by with a very mobile qb and a solid run game, but teams have seen what we do now and even towards the end of the year the better teams were stopping us.

Dont fall in the trap of looking at paper to decide where the holes were, thats why we always thought we had a great oline with jansen and samuels even when it was clear Jansen was done. Polumbus is a backup, Rib was better than Lick but lick is not a starter quality player either.

we got by with a very mobile qb and a solid run game, but teams have seen what we do now and even towards the end of the year the better teams were stopping us.

"Better teams were stopping us?" We won our last 7 games, averaging 30-pts a game doing so. Nobody was stopping us, including the superbowl champs, on who we dropped 31.

Against Seattle, we scored two first-quarter TDs when Griffin was healthy, and there's no reason to think we wouldn't have dropped 30+ on them as well the way we were playing.

Mobile until the Baltimore game. After that not so much. There were 3 regular season games after Griff's injury, one with Cousins who got sacked twice and 2 with Griff who got sacked once in each game. So 4 sacks in the last 3 games with less than mobile QB's.

It is true that Morris had one of his worst outings of the year against Cleveland. He averaged only 3.2 yards per carry and that was the game without the read option but you still have to recognize that Cousins, a much less mobile QB than Griff, went 26 of 37 for 329 and 2 TDs. You don't do that with an "atrocious" Offensive Line.

Dont fall in the trap of looking at paper to decide where the holes were, thats why we always thought we had a great oline with jansen and samuels even when it was clear Jansen was done. Polumbus is a backup, Rib was better than Lick but lick is not a starter quality player either.

To hear you tell it the only "starter" quality guy on our line is Williams. If that were really true there is just no way this offense does what it did last year. This is the NFL and if you put 4 guys out there who are all really just backups, you get eaten alive and that just didn't happen.

Could the line be better? Yes, yes it could. But unless you have a future Hall of Famer at a position, every team in the league could say that about pretty much every position on the field.

The only thing last year's OL really lacked was solid pass protection from the right side. Polumbus is a liability in pass protection. Not sure anyone would argue that?

Beyond that one negative, the 2013 OL was as good as we've seen around here in many years, and was an integral part of the late-season surge.

They also remained healthier than any OL we've seen around here in many years.

Heading into 2014 there are three things to watch, then, by my simple reckoning:

1) can we upgrade pass protection from the RT spot?
2) will we stay equally or at least reasonably healthy again, and
3) do we have capable backups if we don't?

The only thing last year's OL really lacked was solid pass protection from the right side. Polumbus is a liability in pass protection. Not sure anyone would argue that?

Beyond that one negative, the 2013 OL was as good as we've seen around here in many years, and was an integral part of the late-season surge.

They also remained healthier than any OL we've seen around here in many years.

Heading into 2014 there are three things to watch, then, by my simple reckoning:

1) can we upgrade pass protection from the RT spot?
2) will we stay equally or at least reasonably healthy again, and
3) do we have capable backups if we don't?

pretty good list. I would also say the center position has been suspect at times. as I infer from the press, the value function is the ability to make quick reads and call adjustments to the scheme....and not necessarily physical skill (particularly in pass pro).

left guard is pretty sad, lick is just too small, when he is healthy he is a just below average starter, when he is even a bit banged up he is terrible. rib is a question mark. chester is not very good but is decent who flashes. Polumbus is a turnstile at RT in the passing game and not great at inline blocking, but he is a decent on the move run blocker, but if you look at the football guys website, they ranked him as the worst starting RT when they graded olines. chester was below average and lick was well below average. monty graded out mid level and tw graded out well.

we run a scheme that hides a lot, the zone and the read option really help but if we had good linemen it would be scary, look at san fran and seattle, seattle doesnt even have a great olin and looked solid. when we lost the run threat from griff, it does a lot.

David Amerson ‏@DavidAmerson1
I love the Redskins defensive scheme, perfect for me! �� #LetsEat

There are plenty of folks here who aren't Haslett haters. I'm one l them.

there are a lot of people who dont hate Haslett, we just dont want him to be our coach is all. I can already see this is gonna be like norv, he will go from horrible, to just decent enough to save his job and we will play out the string because god forbid we try to improve the defence by getting a decent coach, thats too much like what the old administration would do. besides he takes a lot of heat off shanny.

there are a lot of people who dont hate Haslett, we just dont want him to be our coach is all. I can already see this is gonna be like norv, he will go from horrible, to just decent enough to save his job and we will play out the string because god forbid we try to improve the defence by getting a decent coach, thats too much like what the old administration would do. besides he takes a lot of heat off shanny.

I've heard of glass half empty people, but I think you're a "glass is unbalanced and is going to fall off the table and break on the floor and I'm going to cut my foot and it's going to get infected and they're going to have to amputate and I'll have a prosthetic limb for the rest of my life" pessimist.

My goodness, man! The rookies have had exactly 5 practices!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.