• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Work Thread

i can't stand people that schedule meetings and then don't show up without a word.

i feel like charging them anyways just on principle

YOU ****ING BAILED ON ME TWICE?! TWO DAYS IN A ROW?!?

i should rip your throat out and then beat you to death with it.

A month ago, I found out they were finally going to fill the position I'd applied to 16 months before. Not with me, though at that point, Em had (and still does) a job and we weren't ready to move to Minnesota, so we were actually pretty happy with things. I was coming off an amazingly good Fall season and we were content.

I just got notified that I'm on the short list for being the "assistant" to the position I didn't get but wanted. It pays about 5k less than what I would have gotten and we won't have to move. Sometimes, things work out the way they're supposed to, I guess. :) I don't have it, but have been told that multiple regional managers have told those making the hiring decision that they are "idiots" if they don't hire me. Crushed an interview on Wednesday, just waiting for the final round now. And I'm now saving my (maybe) future boss's rear end with a dropbox transfer that she would have been screwed without.

Feeling good today. :)

Given my recent situation this winter, I've come to appreciate this thread and the work stories within. I especially love hearing ya'lls success stories!

So I just finished my first week as a contractor. I've never done this before.

Con's: the hovering specter of unemployment potential in the future and no extras like paid parking and cheap insurance.

Pros: Focused assignments with more clear goals. No pressure to work "casual overtime" and a strange sense of liberation that comes from less emotional investment.

I'm still hoping that the perm role I mentioned comes through, but as time passes with no word, I'm starting to have doubts. I'm looking forward to closure either way.

Best wishes and keep looking forward. I heard that you got a nice promotion at BGO in another thread. :)

Just did my taxes. Made more last year than I have ever made in my life. But...where the hell did it all go? Oh, I know! I have to pay Uncle Sam more money! For the first time in my life I owe the Federal Gubment! ****!!! The joys of the new tax bracket! OK, I gotta be honest, my wife's music income was 1099'ed so I had to cover her...but still, I thought I made more than enough to have covered that!

The perm job called for a fourth interview with a senior vice president today. My buddy whom Im competing with isnt saying much right now. Not sure if he is getting the same. Even though Im enjoying the contract gig, I have to go with the other should the opportunity arise and its a good offer.

Just did my taxes. Made more last year than I have ever made in my life. But...where the hell did it all go? Oh, I know! I have to pay Uncle Sam more money! For the first time in my life I owe the Federal Gubment! ****!!! The joys of the new tax bracket! OK, I gotta be honest, my wife's music income was 1099'ed so I had to cover her...but still, I thought I made more than enough to have covered that!
Damn, that sucks. Would this be the wrong time to let you know I'm getting my biggest refund ever this year? Lol.

*sigh*
a consultant restarted a production database in the middle of the afternoon.

i ripped into him hard too. he's really upset at the way i talked to him, lol.

i promptly took away his access to everything and am making him guide me through the rest of his update verbally while i have control.

he's really, really angry. but **** you, you just took down a production database mid afternoon.

"I didn't do it"

then who did? was it magic or something?

that erks me the most. own up to your mistakes.

idiot.

So kind of bummer news, Friday afternoon, my buddy also got the call for a fourth interview. They are having each of us draft 30/60/90 day business plans for the inception of a new process improvement department. They will compare our two plans and go with the one they feel is the best for them. My family was on the way to Myrtle Beach when they called me, for a weekend long Kung Fu demonstration that we were a part of. I ended spending every second of free time writing up my plan. To give you an idea of what Im up against for competition with my friend, he pre-emptively submitted a plan a month ago! I present it tomorrow morning.

The interview went pretty well, I think she liked my strategy and thoughts. She mentioned there may be even more interviews. Gosh, I'm so ready for some closure on this! Its exhausting!

Happy happy, another interview with an SVP this time, the woman over my prospective boss. My buddy called yesterday saying he thought it was his because they told him "he couldn't have done better and there will be no more interviews". I'm hoping he misread the signals. I can't see why someone that high in the org would want to talk to me and not him and have it be negative. Who knows?

Happy happy, another interview with an SVP this time, the woman over my prospective boss. My buddy called yesterday saying he thought it was his because they told him "he couldn't have done better and there will be no more interviews". I'm hoping he misread the signals. I can't see why someone that high in the org would want to talk to me and not him and have it be negative. Who knows?

Sounds to me like you may have this if he is having no more interviews!

That's my hope! Though they have changed their minds on what they said came next before. Hoping he really doesn't get more!

Mayhaps they want both of you, but the higher-ups need to be convinced?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I try. I really do. I put effort into educating people. I put effort into laying out a plan that can be easily understood and get people over the fear of change. But people are just fundamentally lazy, stupid, or ignorant; often some sort of combination of the three.

People would rather sacrifice security so that something can be easier for them. Completely disregarding the fact that it's only easier because they're completely ignorant of how the system works, despite me explaining it very plainly in an effort to convince them that not only is this way not easier than the right way but it's also severely less secure.

Whatever. Pay top dollar for my advice and then ignore it. That's how successful people get through life. I'm sure your company otherwise functions flawlessly and this type of decision making and its impacts couldn't be found elsewhere in your business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.