• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Work Thread

Glad to see the entire process appreciated by you Ss...glad to see you acknowledged for your real value. Now let's hope you indeed get the job.

I sat down with the boss and requested a raise last week. Nope...

But...

He is doubling my monthly gas allowance.

He is buying me the camera I almost bought 6 months ago... Nikon D800.

He is buying me a Macbook Pro.

And he is going to back pay me for the out of pocket gas expenditures for the past year. That's significant in itself.

He also said we can revisit the raise in 6 months after the office move is complete.

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but I asked for a 10% raise...did I ask for too much? What he is giving me is not 10% of my annual income but it's a nice compensation nonetheless since I will no longer have to cover expenses nor have to continue to put wear on my computer.

Be careful thinking you can work from home and babysit mike :)
Everyone is different and different jobs are different but I couldn't imagine taking care of a kid and working from home.

I just spent an hour and 45 minutes on our weekly conference call. I was looking for sharp objects about halfway through. Seriously, I know my boss is salaried, but I work on commission. You know what I can not do while I'm on a conference call? I'll give you a hint: he spent 30 minutes telling us we needed to do more of it. SELL. I can NOT make money while I'm stuck on these stupid things.

I'm gonna let it go this time, but if it happens again, I'm going up the ladder. I can not afford to sit on a call that takes 1/2 an hour to call roll and take projections.

Just learned that I was turned down.

I Made it to the final round of two out of hundreds so I'm proud of that but I am so freaking depressed that I wasnt chosen. It was the perfect job for me in scope and direction for my career (the $150k annually didnt hurt either) and I really thought I had it in the bag after the 5th interview. It was a rough homecoming from China for me to learn this and that a treasured Uncle passed away yesterday too.

Sorry to hear that. Really sorry about your Uncle. The job isn't so important.

I held off saying anything a week ago, but any job that requires you to go through 4 or 5 interviews sounds like a place you may not have enjoyed working at.

That's an absurd amount of bs.

You might be much happier starting your own company. Good luck in the future.

Just learned that I was turned down.

I Made it to the final round of two out of hundreds so I'm proud of that but I am so freaking depressed that I wasnt chosen. It was the perfect job for me in scope and direction for my career (the $150k annually didnt hurt either) and I really thought I had it in the bag after the 5th interview. It was a rough homecoming from China for me to learn this and that a treasured Uncle passed away yesterday too.

I'm so sorry my friend, on both counts. Prayers for you and your family, and encouragement anytime you need it here.

Hang in there SS. To get that close, you had to have some serious strengths. I'd let them know to keep you in mind if their first candidate backs out or doesn't work out. Always good not to burn any bridges. And sorry to hear about your uncle :(

SS, you made it that far and now they know who you are and the value that you bring to the company. Even better times are just ahead - just wait and see.

Mike, what is it that you do that enables you to work at home?

Thanks for the kind words and support everyone. Feeling pretty glum, but this too shall pass.

Last edited:
Massive reorganization today. Have a new manager after not having a manager for all intents and purposes. Cautiously optimistic.

Ive been holding off from posting this. not sure if its out of shame or simply that I wanted to wait to be sure what was going down.

I was downsized today. For legal reasons, I cant give too much detail, but suffice to say I'm in a world of hurt suddenly.

I've saved as much as I can and will be ok for a short period of time. Its after the first of the year that things will get more and more tight financially.

I'm devastated emotionally. They didnt take performance nr seniority into account at all. I was just a number on a spreadsheet.

Friends, if you are of the type, please pray for my family. Mine was our sole income and NC unemployment pays a tiny $200 a week.

I'm sacred I will lose everything.

From a netowrking perspective, I have a great employement record and show multiple success stories where I personally have saved my companies millions through my project and strategy work.

My field is in Six Sigma/quality/process improvement. It's all in a non-manufacturing environment for the past decade but I am confident that the same skills will work in manufacturing for anyone willing to give me a shot.

If you refer me, I promise that it will always reflect positively on you. I'm a good and dedicated employee who just was in the wrong department at the wrong time. If I can supply any other details or my resume, I would be greatly beholden to you.

Thank you for your prayers and help if you are able.

Respectfully,

SS (Don)

Aw man, SS. Keep your head up, companies are always looking for six sigma and process improvement people! I'm sure something will come along - is relocation an option?

Aw man, SS. Keep your head up, companies are always looking for six sigma and process improvement people! I'm sure something will come along - is relocation an option?

I'd prefer to stay in the charlotte area, but am open to Syracuse (where Dad lives) also will keep other locations somewhat flexible if I cant find anything else

Don, I'm so sorry brother. Prayers AND good vibes heading in your direction, and I will certainly keep my ears open for any opportunity for you.

If there is anything I can do beyond those, please do not under any circumstances hesitate to ask.

Sorry to hear it brother - there's a lot of it going around so I would try and avoid falling into the male tendency of equating job/career/salary with life success. It's clearly not a reflection on you. I've got some ties with folks in the performance improvement industry and I'll also keep my eyes and ears open for you. Hang in and let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

Thanks guys. Your support is awesome. Going to use some deer stand therapy this weekend and back to interviews Monday. I was ready for this and have a few in process all ready.

Sorry SS, but it sounds like you have a jump on things.

I don't know much about computer systems, but I do have a great friend who heads up computer security for all of BP. He stops hackers, does reverse hacking and protects their systems globally.

He is based out of Houston. I'm not sure if this can help you, but I'm happy to try if it can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.