• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Stop Replacing Your Alternator

Wow, SA, I'm impressed. You're both a computer expert AND an automotive expert. Anything else you have extensive expertise in ? :)

I'm a mechanic by trade, but only proficient with computers by choice.

If it matters, I have also been a cab driver, an automotive spare parts salesperson / courier, worked in a warehouse, and a maintenance call centre operator.

I'm a mechanic by trade, but only proficient with computers by choice.

If it matters, I have also been a cab driver, an automotive spare parts salesperson / courier, worked in a warehouse, and a maintenance call centre operator.

So, what do you spin wrenches on ? I'm currently working for a Triumph, Ducati, and BMW dealership, as bikes are my passion. Most of my working career has been in auto's, but also have worked on everything from small power equipment to large earth moving machines.

I like to say I'm a well rounded tech, but most think I'm talking about my waist line.

I haven't worked the tools, as a job, due to my disability status, which was about 1990. As I was working on power generation plants, I dealt with cylinder heads the size of a small car! When I trashed my knee, it made it that much harder to scramble over the engines looking for air/water leaks and manually taking exhaust temps.

It was after I left the trade that I 'dabbled' in other employment, but once my back got to a stage where I couldn't even stand for any period of time, it was decided that it was best I go on disability, which also included my knee, hip and shoulder (which is another story!).

I got in to the computer side of things when I realised that seeing as though I spend so much time on one, I may as well find out what makes them work, what makes them break, and how to fix them. All self taught.

However, I do have a diploma in Freelance Journalism / Photography, and I still dabble with that on occasion.

Ya, this work can bust up your body over the years. I'm right there with ya with the knee, back, shoulder problems. Doc tells me I should have retired years ago...

I've always had an interest in the huge stuff you worked with, but never had the chance. Likely better off in the long run for me with the issues with my shoulder since I was a young cuss.

Before you reassemble everything, use a c-clamp to squeeze the caliper back so you can put it on easier. A good rule of thumb is to just keep tightening the c-clamp until the cylinders are flush with the face of their holes.

Trying to get ready to do this procedure, now that I dealt with my exhaust problem. But the above part is the only part I didn't understand. I'm having difficulty mentally following exactly what is being done here. Could you elaborate on this ?

Trying to get ready to do this procedure, now that I dealt with my exhaust problem. But the above part is the only part I didn't understand. I'm having difficulty mentally following exactly what is being done here. Could you elaborate on this ?

Behind the pads on one side is the piston or pistons, that push on the pad to make it work. It will be sticking out of the body of the caliper. Put the fixed side of the c clamp on the outside (back) of the caliper, with the screw side facing in at the piston. Turn in the clamp so it's pushes the piston in. That will leave more room in between the pads so it will slip on easily. You will have to have at least the fixed pad removed to do this.

Caution needs to be taken, as some of the pistons are made of composite, and you can fracture them. I never push directly on the piston. I normally leave the pad in on that side, and use it as a pushing plate, as I'm generally replacing the pads. It's also important if you have two pistons. Often, people will try to compress them one at a time. Depending on how far they are extended out, you can shoot one out of the caliper while compressing the other if not careful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.