• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Disagree With Tandler's View on Davis

Paul is good to go on special teams and as a returner. Still on his rookie deal so he's a cheap and productive player.

It was just when Shanahan came out and gushed over him publicly I thought we were really onto something, ie a player that like Morris or Griffin was about to emerge :)

Don't you think Shanny uses that to help push along /motivate players? I mean he's done it with Hank, Banks, a couple of the RBs in the past. Comparing him to Shannon Sharpe was stupid though.

Paul has the athletic skills to merit comparison to a Sharpe...expect maybe the hands based on what we've seen to date. Mike has surely envisioned Paul long-striding through zones and making plays after the catch...I know I have. The multi-million dollar question will be the same one football has asked of so many young athletic players before. Can he turn all that potential into production?

2013 to me will be Paul's year to either emerge or settle in as just another guy.

I'll tell you what, he was outstanding in his coverage play on special teams, on top of giving us better field position as a returner replacing Banks.

I am happy to see him on the field if for nothing more than ST's. Of course, if he were to develop into a true TE...

OM - saying Paul is like Sharpe except for his hands is like saying that Josh Wilson is like Darrell Green except for his speed.

Isn't a consistent pair of hands what gets most wide receivers into the HOF?

Paul had few chances in 2012 to actually catch the ball. He dropped a few, as memory serves. Does that mean he can't improve on that given more chances and comfort at a new position? Nope. He might, he might not.

My reference to Sharpe was solely in terms of what I thought Shanahan MIGHT have been alluding to...that Paul had an athleticism and potential that reminded him of the Hall of Famer.

Don't go gettin' hyperbolisitc on me, BT. We have that need more than covered around here. :)

Last edited:
Year three is the typical 'breakout' year for WRs, and there should probably be a similar (or even extended) timetable for a WR converting to TE. If Paul does not start to "get it" by week 8 or so, then we can probably write him off as nothing more than a ST standout.

I'm not sold on Paul after what I saw last year, but I'm not on the coaching staff so it doesn't really matter. :) As has been mentioned, his hands leave a lot to be desired, but it could be from the position switch. If he's not showing massive strides after this year, I would be in favor of ending that experiment.

As far as Davis is concerned, if he won't come for a smaller, incentive based one or two year deal, I wouldn't mind seeing him wearing an orange helmet next season. He has never lived up to the hype, and I have had reservations about him since day one when he "over-slept" (Partying hard the night before the first real day on the job does not speak well for one's decision making and character).

I remember all the arguments of how Davis was so much better than Cooley, yet, in his Redskins career, Cooley has shown and proven more than Davis in his best performance. It is a shame that 47 spent all of his prime years on mediocre teams. Hell, Chris would probably come back for the minimum if offered. If TE depth is needed, I'd rather have a savvy, older vet than lost potential. Considering our cap situation and how the team has performed without him, I will not lose a moment of sleep or half a tear if Davis is not a Redskin come September.

I don't buy the "his hands failed him because of a new position." You can either catch, or you can't. I would imagine the hardest part about transitioning from WR to TE would be additional blocking assignments; possibly learning a new route or two. Other than that, how hard can it be???

I don't buy the "his hands failed him because of a new position." You can either catch, or you can't. I would imagine the hardest part about transitioning from WR to TE would be additional blocking assignments; possibly learning a new route or two. Other than that, how hard can it be???

Well, I give him the benefit of the doubt that making the position switch may have been causing him to over-think on the field, not react, which may have led to more drops due to his concentration being spent on other nuances of the play that haven't become second nature to him yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.