• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Redskins still not ready to yield in cap fight

That's missing the point LL. I'm asking what specific legal or other remedy those critical of the team for not having the stones to "do something" about this would have had the team pursue? Namely, something that would not put their own interests in jeopardy as well?
For me, if you're not willing to challenge the injustice of it, because you are part of the hypocrisy, afraid of kicking the golden goose? Then just STFU, from day one. Be good little butt boys, admit you did wrong, and let it go.

As it is, they look, and sound, like neutered toy poodles. Deserving of more punishment than they got.

Al Davis had chunks of these guys in his stool.

Well, that's one way of looking at it, Ax.

My sense is that the Redskins were caught off guard by the severity and suddenness of the colluder's penalty against them. I think they believed from day one and right up through last week that once word got out just how draconian and arbitrary the penalties were, public opinion, and maybe even governmental pressure, would force the league to backpedal and make it right at least in part.

I think the LEAGUE even realizes how close they came to being called to the mat on collusion and thereby killing the proverbial golden goose ... by stupidly allowing the blatant collusion to come to light and even essentially bragging about it. I think their only possible hope to escape being brought down by their own stupidity was to hold the line once they'd drawn it, and hope like hell Snyer and Jones were smart enought to understand the big picture and NOT put the entire league on trial and at risk.

I think Little Mara is an embarrassment to himself, the league and professional sports, and I can't even imagine what old Wellington would have thought about his moronic progeny.

I think the Redskins, despite how easy it is to NOW paint them as gutless, researched every single conceivable legal and other avenue they might have had at their disposal, and realized, in the end, that the only way they could have gotten that cap money back was to sue the NFL for collusion. The same NFL, inconveniently, in which they are a full partner and upon which their own golden goose so comfortably nests.

I'm talking about the Big Goose here, the multibillion-dollar one from which the Redskins intend to continue enjoying their share of the bounty for many decades to come, not the comparatively "small" one that puts them behind the competitive 8-ball for a couple years.

I think Mara, the other owners and the empty-suited Goodell out and out colluded. I don't think any reasonable thinking adult could conclude otherwise. I think the NFLPA, led by a self-interested simpleton, allowed itself to be bought on the cheap to shut up about it, and as a result missed perhaps the best opportunity they will ever have to break up the old boy NFL by exposing its collusion and forcing it to become accountable.

And I think the Redskins, gnashing their teeth, when it was all said and done, did the right, smart and ONLY thing they could in order to NOT put their own long-term future at risk. They were forced into a risk/reward analysis and made the hard decision to let themselves get ****ed once in order to not be ****ed perhaps forever.

Sometimes the smart move is to do nothing at all.

Last edited:
I think Mara, the other owners and the empty-suited Goodell out and out colluded. I don't think any reasonable thinking adult could conclude otherwise. I think the NFLPA, led by a self-interested simpleton, allowed itself to be bought on the cheap to shut up about it, and as a result missed perhaps the best opportunity they will ever have to break up the old boy NFL by exposing its collusion and forcing it to become accountable.

And I think the Redskins, gnashing their teeth, when it was all said and done, did the right, smart and ONLY thing they could in order to NOT put their own long-term future at risk. They were forced into a risk/reward analysis and made the hard decision to let themselves get ****ed once in order to not be ****ed perhaps forever.

Sometimes the smart move is to do nothing at all.
While I agree with this final analysis, I find it impossible to accept that it took them this long to figure out what they would, or wouldn't do about it. Which makes them look inept, to me. Not to mention, spineless, gutless, and nutless.

I know that if they made the unmistakeable case of collusion stick, that they're consolation of regaining some cap space would have been dwarfed by their share of the tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars they would have owed the NFLPA.

To say I think they've handled the entire drawn out melodrama poorly, would be an understatement. And I hold Snyder, Shamahan, and Allen (aka Spineless, Gutless, and Nutless) equally responsible.

If they were a singing group, I'd call them The Ineptitudes.

Only thing you and I disagree on is that the Skins come out of this looking " inept....Not to mention, spineless, gutless, and nutless." I think they waited as long as they could for the league to blink, Mara to die and/or outside pressures from the media or some enterprising politician to force the league's hand. Then they did what they had to.

I'll stop of of lauding their public stance on this---my approach would have been to answer each and every question posed about the matter with a "no comment"---but in the end I understand and am okay with the decision to live to fight another day.

The only problem with them "waiting it out" in hopes someone else would fight for them, is that they STILL would have been the "bad guys", and paid the price, if the league got their ass chewed off. Leaving it out there for so long, left more room for that to happen.

They should have just said, "my bad" from the start, if all they were ever going to do is whimper and snivel about it. IMHO

I'll say it again. My belief is that the Redskins weren't just sitting on their hands waiting on the league or divine intervention to help them out. From what I know about Dan Snyder, the one thing he was NOT doing was sitting idly by. I think every hired suit withing a thousand miles of the man was tasked with finding any possible avenue to **** the NFL short of going Pyrrhic on his own house with a collusion suit.

That may be true. I just think it was fairly obvious that the nuclear option was the only legitimate one. And that the NFL knew we wouldn't do it from the start.

Doesn't take much of a lawyer to figure that out.

In other news the Redskins have applied to join the CFL. We are trying to work out an exemption for the standing quota for US players.

In breaking news... There was seen black smoke coming from chimney at NFL headquarters. We still don't have a commissioner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.