• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

AJ Smith to the Redskins????

CounterTrey

The Team Captain
Reaction score
What in the wide world of sports....WHY???????

Former San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith appears set to join the Washington Redskins front office in an advisory role after meeting with the Redskins this week.

According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Smith is expected to join the Washington Redskins as an advisor and consultant in the personnel department. Smith’s son Kyle also works as a scout for the Redskins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/a-j-smith-expected-to-join-redskins-front-office-as-advisor/

Well, he knows how to pick players.

As long as he's not in charge of anything related to keeping players or picking coaches he could be an asset.

I have to wonder if his kid wasn't on the staff whether he'd even have gotten an interview. He might be able to pick players, but so could Vinny. It's who they pick that's an issue for me. SD was a clusterfudge the whole time he was in charge and by all appearnces he's an absolutely epic douchebag. That team went in the crapper after Bobby Ross moved on.

AJ Smith hired Norv. :paranoid:

Smith ran into the same trouble as McPhee with the Capitals. He built a winning team of draft picks and bargain free agents, but could never seem to tweak the roster and coaching staff to produce in the postseason.

But before 2006 the same could have been said of
Bill Pollian.

As long as his focus is on the draft and finding value in free agency,
I say welcome aboard.

May also signal additions to the scouting ranks, I assume he has several in his contact pipeline that aren't onboard with the Skins yet.

Well, the one thing Snyder has yet to fully invest in is the scouting/personnel angle. If this turns out to represent a paradigm shift in that direction we might all look back on the move someday with a smile. Here's hoping.

It took a long time to get rid of the stench that was, Norval Turner.

Anything Redskins related, that even remotely conjures up his name, must be viewed with disdain.

**** AJ Smith.

Guys, relax. Before he hired Norv, AJ assembled one of the better teams of the 2000s in San Diego. They failed because of coaching, and we're all set in that department. I'm not really sure why they feel like they need him here, but my guess is to help with the selection of defensive players to fit the 3-4. Smith found some of the better players in that scheme (granted, Merriman turned out to be a roid-head).

This seems like very good news to me. He loaded SD with talent immediately, helping to fix a 4-12 team almost overnight. He has a great eye for talent.

Also, Shanny has had a prior reputation of making a few crazy picks in Denver. Hopefully this addition will help to erase those.

I also welcome another pair of eyes to evaluate how healthy RG3 is, and when he can get back on the field. I don't trust Shanny to make that decision.

Well, the one thing Snyder has yet to fully invest in is the scouting/personnel angle. If this turns out to represent a paradigm shift in that direction we might all look back on the move someday with a smile. Here's hoping.

This is how I see it. Post Draft is when all the personnel/scouting dept changes are made and this could be a prelude to that. I was never a fan based on the results but he has had a lot of good players in San Diego over the years.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Rich Tandler on twitter:

Chargers were 4-12 year Smith took over. Went 12-4 next year. 5 playoffs. 11 Pro Bowlers in '06. Worst season 7-9.

As long as he is focusing on finding talent, this appears to be a good fit.

Ax captured my feelings perfectly,and Mike reinforced them. Mike lives in San Diego,he saw the AJ era. I'm in full wait and see mode,trending towards pretty darned negative.

I just don't think you can look at the zoo in SD and compare it to what we have here. He's got talent on the personnel and scouting side of football. He was horrible at choosing and not replacing his coach in SD and player contracts were his Achilles heel. He has nothing to do with contracts OR coaching in DC, how can this be so horrible?

Its not comparable.

He's a GM that's out of work, he comes in works hard and keeps his nose clean and maybe someone will hire him as such again in the future.

I just don't see this as such a negative and I was not a fan of his in SD.

What has me leery is this could theoretically be the beginning of him getting more involved in the future. I know he put together some decent rosters but the Drew Brees move doesn't hold in his favor IMO and the caustic atmosphere that every employee who left there seemed to gripe about along with the fact that he seems pretty universally reviled is a huge red flag. The chemistry of our team seems to be gelling finally, bringing in a guy who was known for alienating and pissing off those whom he worked with at the very least makes me "norvous".

I hope you're right Om and logic says that's indeed what's happening but I am so leery of ANYONE with personality issues coming on board. It's taken almost 20 years for this thing to finally start turning back around...don't screw it up by hiring more a-holes who wore out their welcome in their last stint.

In defense of the Brees situation, there were some saying his career was over. His recovery & subsequent production is pretty remarkable. Not to mention, they had just invested a #1 pick in Rivers, who was no slouch over the years.

I think if Smith were being brought in as GM I'd be concerned. Just like some decent coordinators don't make good head coaches, some good personnel guys don't make good GMs. I think Smith knows some things about some things, and if that's why he's being brought here, I fine with it.

He is known for drafting some great DBs in San Diego....

In defense of the Brees situation, there were some saying his career was over. His recovery & subsequent production is pretty remarkable. Not to mention, they had just invested a #1 pick in Rivers, who was no slouch over the years.

A whooooole lot of teams took a pass at Brees, including the 'Skins. The guy was coming off shoulder surgery (throwing arm) and it could have just as easily been the end of his career.

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.