• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What the Redskins need-according to the Sporting News

Ryman, there was an article (Can't remember where) that said we had one of the best OL's in the league. I couldn't help but laugh!

Cowherd actually said he thought our OLine was better than Seattles, and that was why he thought Wilson should have won ROY.

Ummm... yeah.

Cowherd actually said he thought our OLine was better than Seattles, and that was why he thought Wilson should have won ROY.

Ummm... yeah.

Cowturd has slobbed Pete Carroll so long, it's a surprise they haven't met up in a state that allows gay marriage.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nick

Cowturd has slobbed Pete Carroll so long, it's a surprise they haven't met up in a state that allows gay marriage.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nick

Well Cowturd is from Seattle so the man love has done nothing but grow.

Our oline was probably better than many of us will admit, without Robert threatening to run it gets exposed badly.

I think our OLine was decent, but Griffin's running ability certainly enhanced the entire offense. It gave better running lanes for Morris, which also made the Line look better. I don't think we need 5 new starters, and I personally was encouraged with McRib in his spot appearances, I think picking up a RT in FA and then drafting some depth/eventual starters would be great.

Am I the only one that thinks $5M to bring back Fred Davis is a mistake?

If someone else offers him money in free agency, I say let him go.

I agree with you, BD. I think it is a mistake coming off the injury he had this last year and if someone else wants to pay him that much we have to let him go but I don't think anyone will.

I also think our O-Line was better than most here think. We have a lot of guys who have ragged on the line for so long that it is a habitual thing. We might need a BGO 12 step program to break some of you out of the old way of thinking. We had a back with the second highest yardage total from scrimmage this year and a QB with out of sight completion and yards per completion numbers. These stats don't show up with a poor line.

Yes, Griff's running helped out but this is a TEAM game. Manning and Brady have both been helping their lines out for years with their ability to throw the ball quickly. Griff is doing the same thing just in a different way.

Could we use an upgrade at RT? Sure. But if we sink this draft mostly into the defense and the O-Line comes back intact from this last year I'm not going to bitch because the Line isn't why we didn't beat Seattle.

Last edited:
I doubt he'll get anything other than incentive-laden deals; its not like when he was healthy he was putting up Gonzo or Gates numbers. He's got the potential, but that took a serious hit with an achilles injury. Not to mention, he's got a one-year suspension looming over his head. I bet he comes back on the cheap.

Could we use an upgrade at RT? Sure. But if we sink this draft mostly into the defense and the O-Line comes back intact from this last year I'm not going to bitch because the Line isn't why we didn't beat Seattle.

While I agree mostly, the line at least contributed to the lack of a comeback by Cousins in the Seattle. Having been placed in the situation of having to drop back, Cousins had zero protection from our OL. And Polumbus was the worst...LeRiebus was getting schooled every other play too.

I know we can't judge the line on 6 minutes of playoff football, but Tyler Polumbus' pass pro is next to non-existent. We need a true starting RT with Polumbus as a serviceable backup.

I liked BB's assessment of this position. I think this is where we sign a younger vet like Vollemer or or we could pull it off, Jake Long to plug in...provided his injury is healed.

While I agree mostly, the line at least contributed to the lack of a comeback by Cousins in the Seattle. Having been placed in the situation of having to drop back, Cousins had zero protection from our OL. And Polumbus was the worst...LeRiebus was getting schooled every other play too.

I know we can't judge the line on 6 minutes of playoff football, but Tyler Polumbus' pass pro is next to non-existent. We need a true starting RT with Polumbus as a serviceable backup.

I liked BB's assessment of this position. I think this is where we sign a younger vet like Vollemer or or we could pull it off, Jake Long to plug in...provided his injury is healed.

I agree with your assessment based on that 6 minute sample and any simple drop back passing Griffin did this year. Without the scheme with the threat of qb run we are very week.

But, I keep hearing how deep this draft is at tackle and how many tackles are heading for free agency. Hope we can get lucky and get one or another that upgrades TurnsTyler Polumbus. :cheers:

Oh yeah Jordan Black looked pretty good in his last game, how much does he have left in the tank?

As far as the OL goes, my opinion on it is that this past season our OL overachieved. They basically played over their heads-better than their normally expected level of play. I attribute this to a large extent to the enthusiasm and confidence engendering of Griffin and Morris and a few others. Enthusiasm and confidence-combined with surprising levels of success-can enhance athletic performance beyond even what a player usually expects of themselves and the collective adrenalin rush of the Redskins suddenly playing seriously good football affected the OL enough to surpass everyone's expectations-even (perhaps especially) we fans. Certainly the media was surprised.

Another thing is what was there to compare the 2012 Redskins OL to? If anything the past few seasons have-again, IMO-been marked by what seemed to be a team unsure of itself and its abilities-a team lacking confidence which can also sap the energy needed even to play up to normal expectations.

The problem is, for me, will there be a drop-off in this team-wide emotional energy level to the extent that the OL regresses slightly to what would be a realistically expected level but not quite up to the level shown particularly during the last half of last season. This is where the question of "new blood" really comes to the forefront-once more, IMO, of course.

I think we might be seeing the system finally "clicking" with this group of OL. Are they physically overmatched at times? Yes. But that doesn't matter as much in this scheme. LeRiebus stepped in and played very well (IMO), and we haven't even seen what Gettis has yet. I think they'll draft a tackle, but don't be super-shocked if they stick with what they have. The entire staff was confident enough in Compton to quadruple his practice squad salary after he received an offer from another team.

Did they overachieve last year? Sure. But this scheme is built for that...to make the most of out of very little. Montgomery was ranked very high by a lot of different respected sites out there - so with him anchoring the line, and Trent playing up to his potential, we've got a nice little OL going.

Just one man's opinion, though.

RE: Seattle game and the 6 minutes Cousins played - I don't think you can accurately judge based on that, because the whole team was deflated when Griffin went out. Not to mention it was a bad situation, because the D could just pin their ears back and come without fear of running the ball. I'd be more inclined to judge based on the Cleveland game with Cousins, in which he was only sacked twice, but threw for over 300 yards & a couple scores.

I am surprised that people who watched the games are falling for the damn lies of statistics here.

1- the oline was physically overmatched Lick is too small, too weak and simply gets beaten. Chester has good feet but lacks any real push, any time we ran anything other than stretch with the threat of griff bootlegging he was exposed as a poor run blocker. Polumbus is a beast who overacheived at RT his run blocking is excellent, its too bad he is a turnstile in the passing game. MOnty was perhaps our best Oline but gets dinged up every year. TW has flashes of greatness followed by below average play. So we have a definate need at LG, we should be able to run the ball far better to the left side but look at the stats the last 6 games and playoffs, all our yards came running right.

Lerib really stepped up in the playoffs but he is a guy who is not great, just average, which was better than lick who was terrible.

anyone who watched the games saw this, griffs threat to hit the edge on a counter or boot prevented the Dline from rushing to hard laterally, they had to come upfield carefully and they really had to be aware of gaps, Morris's ability to slide into those gaps really made this Oline look better than it was. when there was no run threat from Griff we were exposed and exposed badly.

You caught me, Ryman, I didn't watch the games at all. I didn't see any of Alfred Morris'

SIXTEEN HUNDRED YARDS RUSHING.

Not a single yard.

You caught me, Ryman, I didn't watch the games at all. I didn't see any of Alfred Morris'

SIXTEEN HUNDRED YARDS RUSHING.

Not a single yard.

Take off your homer helmet for a second and just admit if we were to run any other NFL passing scheme our QB gets put on a stretcher for good before week 10. A big part of our success was due to the scheme making up for the deficiencies up front. If you can't at least admit that, you're beyond saving. Everybody loves Morris... put your FAU towel down and be reasonable.

I think Lanky's point is simply that our OLine couldn't have been in the bottom of the pile and still have Morris rush for the second most yards in the NFL, regardless of Griff's influence on the D or the scheme.

It's not the best OLine in the league, nor is it the worst. Middle of the road sounds about right.

I think Lanky's point is simply that our OLine couldn't have been in the bottom of the pile and still have Morris rush for the second most yards in the NFL, regardless of Griff's influence on the D or the scheme.

It's not the best OLine in the league, nor is it the worst. Middle of the road sounds about right.

I don't think anyone here is talking about run blocking being much of an issue. (OK Ryman probably is but i'm not)

I don't know about anyone else but I'd like my QB to be able to drop back and fire one without running for his life. Remember that he got hurt on plays that were not runs by design, which meant that either his reads were covered or he was running for his life. I'd bet it was the latter.

We definitely need a RT. And a LG wouldn't hurt either.

That said, the line was better than it should have been last year. I think some of it came from the fact that they all stayed amazingly healthy all year. The more a line plays together, the better it gets. No matter who's on it.

And this line is probably better than the sum of it's parts because of this continuity. Again, I'm not against upgrading. But it's something to think about.

I think one of the biggest factors, other than Griffin's ability to break it open, was continuity. That is something we haven't really had since Gibbs 2.

I think we are all in agreement...we need a real starting RT. With a quality RT, Chester is better. Montgomery and TW will bring LeRiebus along. Ryan, I don't think you have to worry about Lichtensteiger, I don't think we keep him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.