• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dan Hellie : Danny Smith leaving for Steelers

Kickers drafted or signed out of college during Smith's tenure in DC:
Ryan Succop
Mason Crosby
Nick Folk
Stephen Gostkowski
Nate Kaeding
Josh Scobee
Connor Barth
Dan Bailey
Robbie Gould
Greg Zuerlein
Blair Walsh
Justin Tucker
Since Danny Smith has been here, over 2,000 players have entered the league. Out of those 2,000+, you pick 12 (5 which are statistically worse than any kicker we've had in that time) to try and back your claim? You're gonna have to do a lot better than that. And throwing in a few kickers that only have one season under their belt is assuming greatness.

Just look at Shayne Graham, Shaun Suisham, & Nick Novak - players who we moved on from who had success elsewhere. Shayne Graham was skipping them off the damn turf here, but goes on to blast 57-yarders for the Texans? Come on.
Shayne Graham, who was gone before the season started? Sorry, can't count him. He's a career 85% kicker who attempted 2 preseason kicks for us and missed them. If you're blaming that on Danny Smith, you just blindly hate Danny Smith. Shaun Suisham was an 81% kicker for us. When he's not playing for us, his career percentage is 82.6%. Not exactly an earth shattering difference. Again, you're gonna have to do better than that. From the way you make it sound, you'd think Suisham hit 40% for us, and 90% without us. And Nick Novak? Are you kidding me? He sucks. He has had one above average season in his entire career. At one point, he sat out 3 seasons because he sucked so bad and nobody wanted him. This is easily the worst example of those you listed.

He made 12 field goals of 40-yards or longer. His leg is plenty strong enough to actually put points on the board, something all the kickoff people seem to forget. And let's not get carried away with why he was cut - he was going against Connor Barth in Tampa and Dan Bailey in Dallas; neither of whom is a terrible kicker by any stretch.
And neither of which has his accuracy, not even close. And if Danny Smith sucks so bad, and he has this magical power over kickers, he should get the credit for Forbath, should he not?

In that case, just hire Farmer Fran and forget about it. If it doesn't matter, then why does anyone care? Its just the crap players anyway, so they will fail or succeed no matter who is coaching them.
The funny thing about this part, is you're joking, and it's the only thing in your entire post that's accurate.

Yeah, it helps to have one guy who is a standout. Just look at what happened to our offense once we got a QB.
Oh damn, here I was thinking that Alfred Morris, the receivers stepping up, the young guys on the line stepping up, etc. all had a part in it.

Since Danny Smith has been here, over 2,000 players have entered the league. Out of those 2,000+, you pick 12 (5 which are statistically worse than any kicker we've had in that time) to try and back your claim? You're gonna have to do a lot better than that. And throwing in a few kickers that only have one season under their belt is assuming greatness.

2000+ kickers have entered the league since Danny Smith was a coach in DC? I think your estimate may be a bit high. You said:

Extreme said:
Because for a decade, every kicker that wasn't crap was locked up by their team.

I was refuting that by showing there have been kickers who entered the league in the past decade, believe it or not. There have also been good kickers who have switched teams in that time period also. Just refuting your post, that's all.

Shayne Graham, who was gone before the season started? Sorry, can't count him. He's a career 85% kicker who attempted 2 preseason kicks for us and missed them. If you're blaming that on Danny Smith, you just blindly hate Danny Smith. Shaun Suisham was an 81% kicker for us. When he's not playing for us, his career percentage is 82.6%. Not exactly an earth shattering difference. Again, you're gonna have to do better than that. From the way you make it sound, you'd think Suisham hit 40% for us, and 90% without us. And Nick Novak? Are you kidding me? He sucks. He has had one above average season in his entire career. At one point, he sat out 3 seasons because he sucked so bad and nobody wanted him. This is easily the worst example of those you listed.

Why can't I count Shayne Graham? He went on to Houston and kicked well for them. That's all that matters. And try again with Suisham, he's kicked over 90% in two of his last three years. Novak was 50% in his last season with us, and 79% in 2011 with the Chargers, when he kicked full time. Last season he was 90% accurate until Kaeding came back.

And neither of which has his accuracy, not even close. And if Danny Smith sucks so bad, and he has this magical power over kickers, he should get the credit for Forbath, should he not?

Ex, you're at that point in your frothing at the mouth where you're just arguing to argue, and have completely forgotten what it was you were arguing in the first place. Yes, Smith gets credit for Forbath - the point was it TOOK HIM NINE YEARS.

The funny thing about this part, is you're joking, and it's the only thing in your entire post that's accurate.

I'm not sure you realize it, but you just undercut your entire argument FOR Danny Smith. So....why are you arguing again?

Why can't I count Shayne Graham? He went on to Houston and kicked well for them. That's all that matters.
Because he didn't kick for us, that's why you can't count him. He attempted two kicks in preseason and got cut. Don't embarrass yourself by using this in your argument.

And try again with Suisham, he's kicked over 90% in two of his last three years.
And the aseason he didn't was what? That's right kids, 74.2%. Without Danny Smith. And it doesn't change the fact that he has a fractional percentage difference between his time here and his time elsewhere. No matter how you twist it, the numbers speak for themselves. You calling him good doesn't make him good.

Novak was 50% in his last season with us, and 79% in 2011 with the Chargers, when he kicked full time.
And in between, he sat out of football for 3 seasons, because nobody wanted his sorry ass.

Apparently after a pathetic skill level (which followed him here btw, it didn't originate here) and 3 years out of football, he must have hired someone, as a lot of position players do in any sport to get better.

Last season he was 90% accurate until Kaeding came back.
Professional kickers tend to have a decent accuracy when 80% of their attempts are under 35 yards :)

Whatever man, I'm moving on. You're just arguing to argue at this point. I will agree to disagree.

I love how when I bring numbers in, or facts if you prefer to be really descriptive, you always accuse me of "arguing just to argue." If that's what they call it when someone's opinion is trumped by the hard facts, then yes. I suppose I am arguing just to argue. Carry on with your wrongness :D

Last edited:
I just hope the redskins can find a replacement that will be able to
make them even better...

hey hey HEY

You be careful what you say about Nick Novak. He may not have had the best career with us, but he provided us with a moment I'll never, ever, in my entire life forget. Until we beat dallas this year to win the division, I hadn't seen the stadium like this ever. People were refusing to leave. I've never hugged so many random people in my life, than I did on this day, or been so happy to be covered in beer or whatever else was flying once that kick went through.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zFdD5v_nBg#t=1m56s

I love how when I bring numbers in, or facts if you prefer to be really descriptive, you always accuse me of "arguing just to argue." If that's what they call it when someone's opinion is trumped by the hard facts, then yes. I suppose I am arguing just to argue. Carry on with your wrongness :D

it is indeed annoying when that happens.

;)

hey hey HEY

You be careful what you say about Nick Novak. He may not have had the best career with us, but he provided us with a moment I'll never, ever, in my entire life forget. Until we beat dallas this year to win the division, I hadn't seen the stadium like this ever. People were refusing to leave. I've never hugged so many random people in my life, than I did on this day, or been so happy to be covered in beer or whatever else was flying once that kick went through.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zFdD5v_nBg#t=1m56s

I was at that game also, it was amazing. The best part was we were sitting next to two Cowboys fans who were talking sh!t the entire game. That shut them up nicely! I'm getting old, because for the life of me I can't remember who I was sitting with - it was definitely an old-school ESer though. Most likely one of the 4-C, maybe Andy. Damn my old brain!

Coincidentally, also my favorite ST moment of all time. Gibbs described it perfectly - "the guy who you want to have the ball in those types of situations, picked up the ball." Also my favorite Troy Vincent moment of all time. :p

Yeah I brought a cowboys fan with me to the game cause he'd never been able to see them play live. We were actually getting ready to walk out as the cowboys were lining up to kick the field goal, and he was talking a lot of smack.

Was a fun turn around to say the least :) He had a miserable ride back with us.

Yeah I brought a cowboys fan with me to the game cause he'd never been able to see them play live. We were actually getting ready to walk out as the cowboys were lining up to kick the field goal, and he was talking a lot of smack.

Was a fun turn around to say the least :) He had a miserable ride back with us.

I've been on the opposite end of this. While the smack talk was friendly, the fans in Tampa for the Alstott for 2 game made me eat it...and bad!

Before that play, they were pouring out of the stadium because we had the lead late in the game. I didn't understand it either because it wasn't that big of a lead. I guess I gotta remember they are Tampa fans. :laugh:

So when Alstott was given the GIFT and they took the lead, the girl sitting a few rows in front of me with whom I had been jawing, jumped over seats just to get in my face and scream at me. Then she grabbed me and started shaking me...had it been a dude I would have punched him dead in the mouth. Since it was her, I grabbed her hands, took them off my shoulders and said, "Gloat in it, but don't touch me." She knew she'd crossed the line, but I still had to eat crow!

Then Scott Brunell comes in with a chance to win it and blows it!

Yep. I also can't stand watching how many illegal motion penatlies there are NOT called every game, and think about the GB game.

:twitch: :twitch:

You're getting my goddamn blood pressure up. GRRRRRR.

I still want Greg Manusky.

The Original Moose.

Because you think he's a good STs coach or because he's a former Redskin during out glory years? Lowry's STs have been some of the best for the past 10 years or more. I don't like hiring ex-Redskins unless they bring something to the plate besides being part of the glory days. I'm tired of living off the 80s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.