• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Dan Hellie : Danny Smith leaving for Steelers

I have watched Danny Smith up close many times - he's a great guy, and a great coach - he just hasn't been able to produce anything more than a serviceable ST unit during his tenure in DC.

Great guy - I don't think there's a more likeable coach in the NFL.

But I'm ready to give someone else, preferably a young and hungry ST coach (perhaps from the college ranks) a try.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!111!!!!!oneone!!!

In other news, Antwaan Randle El fell down in his living room upon hearing the news. He lost two yards.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js[/media]

But I'm ready to give someone else, preferably a young and hungry ST coach (perhaps from the college ranks) a try.
I have no problem bringing in someone fresh, I've never been a fan of keeping the same staff around too long. I just think anyone who thinks Danny Smith was the reason for the ST failures is extremely short sighted.

If a new guy comes in, no matter how great he is, if he doesn't completely overhaul the entire unit, we will still be full of suck.

This ex-Redskin used to be a hot commodity. We missed our chance at making him an assistant

33422d1328204425-colts-hire-greg-manusky-defensive-coordinator-greg-manusky.jpg

I just think anyone who thinks Danny Smith was the reason for the ST failures is extremely short sighted.

It's always amazed me how Danny Smith gets held accountable for nothing when it comes to the performance of his ST units.

From blocked kicks to the same culprits committing bonehead penalties, it was always someone else's fault and not the coach.

The guy should run for political office.........

It's always amazed me how Danny Smith gets held accountable for nothing when it comes to the performance of his ST units.

From blocked kicks to the same culprits committing bonehead penalties, it was always someone else's fault and not the coach.

The guy should run for political office.........
It always amazed me how Danny Smith gets blamed for everything when it comes to the performance of his ST units.

From blocked kicks to the same culprits committing bonehead penalties, it was always his fault and not the players.

The guy had no control over personnel, and had nothing to work with. And the players, ironically, received all the credit when performing well. It was only his fault when they screwed up.

Smith was in favor of keeping Gano for distance, and Kai wasn't available then. He also got overruled on Cundiff, look how that turned out.

Uh, that turned out excellent. We started MAKING field goals instead of missing them. Speaking of kickers - it took him nearly a DECADE to find one worth half a crap.

And as far as distance is concerned - Danny Smith COACHED Forbath to directional kick on kickoffs.

Extreme, I get your point of view, I really do. However, special teams is ALWAYS comprised of mostly the worst players on your roster - this is true for every team in the NFL. That's the ST coach's job - take the deep bench and bubble players and turn them into a unit. And you keep saying how poor the talent was on special teams while he was here - I disagree. Not every ST coach has Lorenzo, special teams standout, for their entire tenure.

I'm not an expert on special teams, and admittedly am among the group of people that don't really pay attention to them unless they've done something wrong.

But I can't help but wonder if Smith was really to blame for all the problems our ST unit has had. Until recently we've been a team that paid high prices for 'star' players. That was a strategy that everyone looked at and stated the obvious - we were overpaying for players that were overhyped and/or past their prime. The real problem with it that seemed to go unnoticed by many is that it then meant we had much less money and (maybe more importantly) fewer draft picks to spend on 2nd and 3rd string guys or on non-star players - and those would be the players that made up the special teams unit... We were never grooming young players in those roles the way successful teams did. Smith had the worst of the worst to work with in his tenure, and probably up until this past year which was year 3 of shanahan's rebuild.

Smith was here for 9 years. There is a reason for that... There is a reason every new coach kept him. There is a reason the Steelers wanted him, and got him, when they needed to fill the role.

You guys can blame him for all the troubles and you very well may be right. But there are a lot of people saying a lot of nice things about him as a coach and an organization that is known for being well run and making good decisions just hired him. We all know for a fact that for the better portion of the last 9 years we've been a very, very mismanaged team in terms of personnel. I'm sure it didn't help that we had an anemic offense for the better part of the last 9 years either.

Ah the old "throw out the first year" article.... nice.

I'll take Boone's word for it that he's a nice guy and that he's highly motivational, you can see that to a certain degree attending only 10 or so games and a couple of training camps as I have during his tenure.

Overhaul though ? On special teams? LOFL You get the final say on what 3-4 players....maybe? And one of those players has been Brandon freaking Banks for too long. Overhauling special teams has to come from the coaches not the personnel side. I get it we haven't had the best of depth... but you do your best with what you have. You telling me we didn't have the players to keep FGs from getting blocked consistently?

I'm hoping for a spark but truth be told sometimes people just get complacent or the job gets stale or whatever. He had time and seems he mostly got what he wanted for a spell. Sometimes you just need to move on.

Uh, that turned out excellent. We started MAKING field goals instead of missing them.
You obviously misunderstood me. He wanted to keep Gano. Instead, Shanahan brought it Cundiff, against the wishes of Danny Smith. That did not turn out excellent by any stretch of the imagination. When Danny Smith was insisting on keeping Gano, Kai Forbath wasn't available.

Speaking of kickers - it took him nearly a DECADE to find one worth half a crap.
Because for a decade, every kicker that wasn't crap was locked up by their team. Hard to get when there's nothing to be gotten.

And as far as distance is concerned - Danny Smith COACHED Forbath to directional kick on kickoffs.
When you have great accuracy, but a noodle leg, you have to do something. Coaches know more than we do, and if he was doing something wrong by making that decision, then neither you or I would know it. He got cut by two other teams because he could barely get the kickoff beyond the 35.

Extreme, I get your point of view, I really do. However, special teams is ALWAYS comprised of mostly the worst players on your roster - this is true for every team in the NFL.
Which completely validates my point. When you're the coach that gets the worst players from a ridiculously horrible roster full of practice squad players, how do you shoulder the blame for their epic failures? He had zero to work with. Nothing plus nothing is still nothing, no coach can make that work.

That's the ST coach's job - take the deep bench and bubble players and turn them into a unit.
There's where the problem lies Lanky. Our starters were ****, and our bench was below ****. You can't polish a turd.

And you keep saying how poor the talent was on special teams while he was here - I disagree. Not every ST coach has Lorenzo, special teams standout, for their entire tenure.
One guy? One guy makes an entire unit not worthless? That's the best joke you've ever told. And as good as Lorenzo is, he gets flagged constantly. Is that Danny Smith's fault too, or could it be that Lorenzo Alexander is just a bone head?

As far as that article you linked goes.......any other ST coach ranks 32 every year with what Danny Smith had to work with. I'd bet money on it.

Chris Russell just brought up a point - Alexander is a UFA this offseason and could go with him.

I would think Alexander's allegiance is with the team more so than the ST coach but I thought it was an interesting point at least worth sharing.

Because for a decade, every kicker that wasn't crap was locked up by their team. Hard to get when there's nothing to be gotten.

Kickers drafted or signed out of college during Smith's tenure in DC:
Ryan Succop
Mason Crosby
Nick Folk
Stephen Gostkowski
Nate Kaeding
Josh Scobee
Connor Barth
Dan Bailey
Robbie Gould
Greg Zuerlein
Blair Walsh
Justin Tucker

Just look at Shayne Graham, Shaun Suisham, & Nick Novak - players who we moved on from who had success elsewhere. Shayne Graham was skipping them off the damn turf here, but goes on to blast 57-yarders for the Texans? Come on.

When you have great accuracy, but a noodle leg, you have to do something. Coaches know more than we do, and if he was doing something wrong by making that decision, then neither you or I would know it. He got cut by two other teams because he could barely get the kickoff beyond the 35.

He made 12 field goals of 40-yards or longer. His leg is plenty strong enough to actually put points on the board, something all the kickoff people seem to forget. And let's not get carried away with why he was cut - he was going against Connor Barth in Tampa and Dan Bailey in Dallas; neither of whom is a terrible kicker by any stretch.

Which completely validates my point. When you're the coach that gets the worst players from a ridiculously horrible roster full of practice squad players, how do you shoulder the blame for their epic failures? He had zero to work with. Nothing plus nothing is still nothing, no coach can make that work.

In that case, just hire Farmer Fran and forget about it. If it doesn't matter, then why does anyone care? Its just the crap players anyway, so they will fail or succeed no matter who is coaching them. I'm sure there are a ton of people in the DC area who would do the job for free.

There's where the problem lies Lanky. Our starters were ****, and our bench was below ****. You can't polish a turd.

Our starters were average to below average, but the bubble guys & 4th-5th stringers are pretty much equal across the league. Every once in awhile someone will come out of nowhere and be really good, but for the most part, every team has its Ade Jimohs & Byron Westbrooks.

One guy? One guy makes an entire unit not worthless? That's the best joke you've ever told. And as good as Lorenzo is, he gets flagged constantly. Is that Danny Smith's fault too, or could it be that Lorenzo Alexander is just a bone head?

Yeah, it helps to have one guy who is a standout. Just look at what happened to our offense once we got a QB.

As far as that article you linked goes.......any other ST coach ranks 32 every year with what Danny Smith had to work with. I'd bet money on it.

I highly doubt that.

Anyone know when the last time was we gave up a kick/punt return TD? THAT is Smith's strength, and motivation, as Boone said.

It's a good strength to have, no doubt. I think Smith was underrated by the fan base here, but that doesn't mean he is a GREAT ST coach either. I'm fine with trying someone new if they are young and hungry.

Sean Taylor played on special teams. And we all know that guy sucked.

This guy had standouts in Ladell Betts, Rock Cartright, Lorenzo Alexander He's had decent depth at times. Unfortunately we never used Moss as we should have because he was too busy carrying the offense.

Your Extreme view of saying that he had nothing but crap to work with his whole tenure is bogus. Some of the worst teams can field a decent special teams unit and he's done that to a certain degree. But he never took the next step and his time ran out.

To defend this man like you are is pretty shaky... you got a Big League Chew stand in NOVA or something?

Oh and where are you getting your information that Shanahan overuled Smith and brought in Cundiff? I'd like to see that in writing... sounds like a major assumption to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.