• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Joshua Morgan Wins Walter Payton Award

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
January 30, 2013

JOSHUA MORGAN SELECTED AS REDSKINS’
WALTER PAYTON MAN OF THE YEAR

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins have selected wide receiver Joshua Morgan as the team’s 2012 Walter Payton Man of the Year. The Man of the Year honor is a league award that recognizes players’ off-the-field community service as well as playing excellence.

As the Redskins’ winner of the award, Morgan, a native Washingtonian, will receive a $1,000 donation for his designated charity, the Beacon House. The charity aims to assist at-risk children and youth to identify and pursue their educational objectives.

“The way I was raised, they always told me that God’s going to bless you with a lot of things,” Morgan said about why he gives back and gets involved with helping the youth from his community. “So, it’s up to you to bless people with all the blessings that he blessed you with.”

Throughout the 2012 season, Morgan participated in multiple Washington Redskins Charitable Foundation community events including flag football clinics, Read Across Prince George’s County events and speaking at 4th & Life, a program for high school athletes on how to be successful on the field, in the classroom and in the workplace. He also participated in the Pediatric Halloween Party held at Georgetown University Hospital, he passed out winter clothes to underserved D.C. area children at Covered for the Holidays and handed out toys to youth in need at the Skins Santa Shoppe.

The prestigious award was renamed in 1999 for legendary Pro Football Hall of Fame running back Walter Payton. The award has been given annually since 1970.

Past Redskins winners of the Walter Payton Man of the Year include: Lorenzo Alexander, 2010-11; London Fletcher, 2008-2009 (selected as NFL finalist in 2009); Rocky McIntosh, 2007; Renaldo Wynn, 2006; Shawn Springs, 2005; Chris Cooley, 2004; Darnerian McCants, 2003; Eddie Mason, 2002; Chris Samuels, 2001; Darrell Green, 1996 (won the national award); and Joe Theismann, 1982 (won the national award).

Yeah, I wanted him skinned and quartered at the end of the Ram game. But, he progressed well throughout the season. Looking forward to seeing him completely healthy next season.

Congrats Josh!!!

No, Morgan is signed for another year and his bonus is accelerated in Year 2. So, he will be here. Besides, after hearing about his surgery, one can understand why his 2012 season was disappointing.

I think Leonard Hankerson has more to answer for heading into 2013. Is he serious about being an NFL receiver? About putting in the work to be a focused and consistent performer?

We can't just keep plugging and playing at WR. It's time we develop guys and have some patience. Even with Hankerson, although it's not always easy.

We can't just keep plugging and playing at WR. It's time we develop guys and have some patience. Even with Hankerson, although it's not always easy.

I agree to a certain point but oh how it hurts to have that patience and then have it not work out (haha Taylor Jacobs, The Comb, Devin Thomas come to mind) Hankerson is maddening he just has the body language that says he doesn't care. I have to hope these guys step up, Morgan did a little less than I had hoped but he was a bright spot in a few games.

I get it, believe me. But our current WR corps at their worst is outplaying the guys you mentioned at their best. And consistently. We need to get better, but I think with Garcon, Morgan, Davis (if he is around) healthy, and if Hankerson and Aldrick Robinson can improve, add in Moss and we have a very solid group. I'll be disappointed if we drop a pick on a WR in the next 2 drafts. We have so many other needs.

I agree that Hankerson is the one that really needs to step up at this point. He seem sto lose focus too easily.

That said, it all hinges on Garcon. If he plays a full season our WR corps will do just fine. They all play better when he's on the field. Still, it would be nice to see a solid #2 WR emerge from this group. It's a young group, though, so I agree with those preaching patience at this point.

Any word about who the new WR coach is going to be?

Agreed. It's a mentality that needs to be adopted across the board with this team. Going 10-6 and winning the division means the team is finally at a point where it can keep majority of it's starters and focus on the next layer of guys.

Good for Morgan. Yes, the rams game still irritates the hell out of me, but it sounds like he's a quality guy off the field which, in addition to everyone else Shanahan has brought in, is a much appreciated change in culture in my opinion. Hope he has a better '13 season :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a fan of Hank for a while. I do think this coming year will be big for him. Either he breaks out and becomes the perfect complement to Garcon, or we may have to go in another direction in 2014. He shows flashes where he pretty much dominates, but those flashes are FAR outweighed by the times he flat out disappears. He needs to be consistent.

And yes, good for Morgan. The Rams game was infuriating, but he presumably learned from it, and it won't happen again.

Morgan promptly threw the award at Courtland Finnegan.

Kidding. Seems like a character dude. The kind you want on your team.

'Grats, Josh.

I've been a fan of Hank for a while. I do think this coming year will be big for him. Either he breaks out and becomes the perfect complement to Garcon, or we may have to go in another direction in 2014. He shows flashes where he pretty much dominates, but those flashes are FAR outweighed by the times he flat out disappears. He needs to be consistent.

It is the mythical year 3 for Hankerson - the make or break year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.