• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WEx: Sources: Gruden atop Snyder's wish

Don't put it past Snyder and Cerrato to keep Zorn. I could see them doing it just out of pure stubbornness.

Especially if the Skins can win 3 maybe 4 more games this year. I am not saying we win that many but if we do, I would bet Zorn stays.

I can see the scenario of Zorn staying if the personnel and scheme juggling continues to work but I wonder, if we were to win, say, 3 more games would they also keep Sherm Lewis? Vinny? Everybody else? In other words would everybody's job, other than players, be secured for the 2010 season?

This is one thing I think Snyder is probably on the right track about, though as you say, perhaps not for the right reasons. I think offensive coaches are preferable to defensive ones because the NFL is a scoring league. The rules are mostly tilted to produce big offensive performances, especially in the passing game.

Therefore, teams like Buddy Ryan used to put together probably wouldn't win more than six or seven games in today's NFL. They'd be penalized too much for things like roughing the passer and P.I. which would in-turn remove what made those teams successful , i.e. forcing turnovers and scoring defensive TDs.

Another concern is the supply/demand issue. In general, it's not too difficult to find a decent to very good DC as there almost always seems to be a bunch of them around. However, finding good offensive minds that know how to call a game, develop game plans, get the concepts across to the QB and other offensive players and then turn all of that into points on the scoreboard is much harder.

Just my .02

Bill Cowher, Bill Belichik, Tony Dungy and Mike Tomlin. 6 Super Bowl titles between them in the last 8 years.

I'm just saying... ;)

Point well taken Neo. However, I think one could also argue that your list is an equally good argument for having a franchise QB. Just sayin'. :)

As a businessman, Danny has NEVER ceded full control to ANYONE. It's simply not in his nature and asking him to give total control over to a GM not named Vinny would be akin to asking Sonny Jurgensen to give up his stogies.

It's what WE all want but we probably aren't dentist enough to pull those teeth. It's gonna take an established HC to get Danny to step back. If we bring in a first time HC, whether it's a guy like Grimm, Zimmer or even Jim Harbaugh, I can pretty much guarantee we'll be seeing more of the same from the FO. Maybe the bigger question is, can we get to the playoffs, in spite of Dumb and Dumber, with a HC NOT named Joe Gibbs?

Point well taken Neo. However, I think one could also argue that your list is an equally good argument for having a franchise QB. Just sayin'. :)

Touche, sir. Touche.

I think offensive coaches are preferable to defensive ones because the NFL is a scoring league. The rules are mostly tilted to produce big offensive performances, especially in the passing game.

I disagree. Having a defensive coach allows you to minimize the offense of the opponent. With the rules as they are you don't need an offensive genius to score points, but a defensive one can be helpful.

Think of some of the recent SuperBowl winning coaches: Belilchik, Dungy, Mike Tomlin... they all come from the defensive side of the ball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.