• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Looking forward to free agency

Wait a second folks.

With 7 seven draft picks beginning in Round 2 and a MASH ward of players rehabbing at several key positions, the Redskins IMO are NOT going to spend TWO selections on a TE.

Just isn't going to happen.

You are not going to find a top playmaking TE in free agency, but teams have been able to get by (if Davis leaves) with the Zach Miller (Seattle), Jacob Tamme (Denver) types in mid-tier free agency.

But we don't need a mid-tier TE. We need a top-tier TE to make the current stock of WR's more productive. If we go for a mid-tier TE then we have to improve our stable of WR's and you are one who is continually mentioning the need to upgrade there.

With a top-tier TE, we "could" kill 2 birds with one stone this year. Jared Cook, with the right scheme, healthy and his head on straight can be a pro-bowl TE, better than Davis. He has the size and ability.

If we don't go for him in FA, then we should look at a TE early in the draft...2nd round or definitely 3rd round. Of all our needs, TE is likely the position we could likely get the most value with our 1st pick being so late in the 2nd round.

The TE plays a critical role in this offense and Shanahan is searching for another Shannon Sharpe and unfortunately his pet project Niles Paul will not fit the bill. Shanny might surprise me and give Fred another contract...I just hope not with all his baggage and his lack of size. We need a big boy in that position...someone 6' 5" or bigger. All the greats today have that kinda size and are exploiting teams down the middle with regularity because LB's in the game today can't cover these guys and even safeties have a hard time with them.

Edit: I saw in the other thread you mentioned a couple of needs...RT and FS...that are more important and I agree, those a crucial upgrade needs. I just don't think we are going to plug a RT in on opening day from the draft. Perhaps a starting FS can be found at that spot with our 1st pick, I just don't know enough about this class of safeties. I think the best value comes at the TE position with our draft position.

Last edited:
I don't agree. I think if you are looking to a TE to make your WRs more productive, then you have the wrong wide receivers.

My personal feeling is that a 100% Garcon (as we saw briefly against Dallas) and a 100% Morgan should provide the physical upside to the WR position that they could only show in snippets in 2012 due to the injuries.

We plugged Jon Jansen in at RT as a second round pick. I think OT is one spot where you really do need to invest decently to provide a return. Waiting for 6th and 7th rounders to come through for you as flyer picks works much better at positions like fullback, linebacker, punter/kicker and DT.

I don't agree. I think if you are looking to a TE to make your WRs more productive, then you have the wrong wide receivers.

My personal feeling is that a 100% Garcon (as we saw briefly against Dallas) and a 100% Morgan should provide the physical upside to the WR position that they could only show in snippets in 2012 due to the injuries.

I just think the transformation of the TE position changes this. Jimmy Graham, Gronkowski and Hernandez, Gonzalez, Whitten...these guys are a different breed. Shanahan has seen the success a TE can have first hand with Shannon Sharpe. I am surprised you don't see that with his attempt to make Niles Paul into a TE...or maybe you see it you just don't believe Shanahan would be willing to get the best TE available even if it meant getting the most value out of a first pick that is so late in the draft.

Edit: And I think the RT should be addressed in FA with someone like Ryan Clady (if he's available) or even Sebastian Vollemer... I would love to have Jake Long come in and signed moving TW over, but after the year TW had he ain't going nowhere...that position is his.

Last edited:
Alot obviously depends on if Voldemort's cap stays in place. If it does then we'll obviously have to sign on the cheap one more season and hope the front office can pull a stunning draft class.

I'd rather draft a RT, TE and FS early this April and maybe look for the FA guys sprinkled along in secondary and LB. No big names just solid as possible with our $ situation.

It's interesting because we really don't know how the team is going to go about free agency with the draft following a month later.

Is Washington 'all in' on youth and developing picks while letting older players go? If so, you may see Hall and other 30 year olds go to continue Allen's cautious approach to the cap.

Some seem to feel Davis will still warrant a big contract in the spring, but coming off an achilles, which is actually worse these days than an ACL, I frankly don't see it.

If a healthy Davis was 'worth' $5M coming into 2012, then it would appear an incentivized deal that only costs a team about $2 to $2.5M would be right for a guy with this many questions.

If he wants a bigger deal I say let him walk.

My guess is that is what Allen and Shanahan will do.

With Peyton Manning in Denver at age 37 there is NO chance the Broncos let Ryan Clady walk away as the LT.

That is strictly wishful thinking.

We are going to have to find a RT and reinforce the interior the old fashioned way, by developing those 2012 picks and selecting an additional prospect or two in 2013.

Wait a second folks.

With 7 seven draft picks beginning in Round 2 and a MASH ward of players rehabbing at several key positions, the Redskins IMO are NOT going to spend TWO selections on a TE.

There's a lot of people who would have said the same thing about QB last year, especially considering the price we gave up to grab the first one.

It's hysterical reading how this position needs to be drafted in these rounds, verses others. As if it matters.

And again, the resolution of our stolen cap money dictates everything.

We obviously will have a plan in place for another $18mil screw job in 2013.

But you can bet your sweet bippy we have another wish list ready when we get our rebate. :)

It's hysterical reading how this position needs to be drafted in these rounds, verses others. As if it matters.

And again, the resolution of our stolen cap money dictates everything.
)

Come on Ax, teams always base their draft selections on one of two things...need and best player available.

Come on Ax, teams always base their draft selections on one of two things...need and best player available.
Correct. But needs can, and do change. Based on who you may, or may not, pick up in FA before the draft.

And if, as I suspect, we get some rebate on our illegally looted cap money, it could change even more.

So then, final draft strategy will be, at least in part, based on results of the early FA period.

Better?

Correct. But needs can, and do change. Based on who you may, or may not, pick up in FA before the draft.

And if, as I suspect, we get some rebate on our illegally looted cap money, it could change even more.

So then, final draft strategy will be, at least in part, based on results of the early FA period.

Better?

Yes! Now be more clear next time! ;)

Better?

My goodness that would be fantastic if true. Is the team working with the league on this behind the scenes any more or is it wishful thinking?

Mara is the ****ing antichrist.

Last edited:

Better?

I would love to believe it's possible, but wouldn't that already have occurred if it was going to? I just don't see it happening although I would love to see it.

My goodness that would be fantastic if true. Is the team working with the league on this behind the scenes any more or is it wishful thinking?

Mara is the ****ing antichrist.
Shanny said at his end of the year presser, that the team was indeed challenging that punishment. He also said he couldn't talk about it until the process was through. But that when it was over, he definitely would.

I assume, that they have been doing this for some time, behind the scenes. It was referenced at a presser during the season, and Shanny had said the same thing, then. I think the reason the negotiations haven't been public, at all, is a requirement of the NFL to not make them look bad. I further assume, that they, the NFL, will NEVER give it all back. But, in the light of reduced sentences for some of the BountyGate Charade victims, they will want to look, generous, and forgiving.

Also, for the NFL, it's good business. They can see that we need some more cap room, to more quickly help propel us into the upper ranks of the league. A successful, winning Washington Redskins team, led by the dynamic, talented, merchandise machine that is Robert Griffin III, will generate millions of dollars for the revenue sharing pool. And, unless Maggot Mara will pay the other owners out of his own pocket, greed will rule the day. These billionaires know where money comes from. As long as we're not publicly giving them a wedgy, I'm confident they'll make a deal.

That's why I've predicted a 25-50% rebate of this years $18mil penalty.

Great post Ax - you make a compelling argument...

Shanny said at his end of the year presser, that the team was indeed challenging that punishment. He also said he couldn't talk about it until the process was through. But that when it was over, he definitely would.

I assume, that they have been doing this for some time, behind the scenes. It was referenced at a presser during the season, and Shanny had said the same thing, then. I think the reason the negotiations haven't been public, at all, is a requirement of the NFL to not make them look bad. I further assume, that they, the NFL, will NEVER give it all back. But, in the light of reduced sentences for some of the BountyGate Charade victims, they will want to look, generous, and forgiving.

Also, for the NFL, it's good business. They can see that we need some more cap room, to more quickly help propel us into the upper ranks of the league. A successful, winning Washington Redskins team, led by the dynamic, talented, merchandise machine that is Robert Griffin III, will generate millions of dollars for the revenue sharing pool. And, unless Maggot Mara will pay the other owners out of his own pocket, greed will rule the day. These billionaires know where money comes from. As long as we're not publicly giving them a wedgy, I'm confident they'll make a deal.

That's why I've predicted a 25-50% rebate of this years $18mil penalty.

the 25% - 50% rebate...Would that mean money returned that was already taken, or simply less taken this season and still out what was lost last season?

edit: PS, Your post literally cheered me up on a day I am in bad spot emotionally. Thanks for that!

the 25% - 50% rebate...Would that mean money returned that was already taken, or simply less taken this season and still out what was lost last season?

edit: PS, Your post literally cheered me up on a day I am in bad spot emotionally. Thanks for that!

Yeah, I gotta believe the 18 million from last year is gone and he's talking about a 5-9 million dollar break from the 18 this year.

Also, if you're having a bad day...this always cheers me up:

http://www.bgobsession.com/showthread.php?t=9326

Thanks Ax, something i was hoping/needing to hear on the situation. I'm glad you caught those tidbits from the pressers, they obviously flew way the hell over my head.

I was really believing that the antichrist convinced the league to uphold the BS penalties on us for another year. Even though that still MAY happen it's nice to know the team is fighting it quietly.

No doubt 5-$9M would go a loooong way in our plans. RG3's contribution to ratings and such definitely seems a good reason to erase a portion of the penalty, if anything to save face. Agree with the others, great post.

Great post Ax - you make a compelling argument...
Thanks Boone. I hope Heir Goodell and the owners not named Mara, agree. ;)

It was in my post...
...I further assume, that they, the NFL, will NEVER give it all back.

...That's why I've predicted a 25-50% rebate of this years $18mil penalty.
And, glad I could help. :)

I was really believing that the antichrist convinced the league to uphold the BS penalties on us for another year. Even though that still MAY happen it's nice to know the team is fighting it quietly.

No doubt 5-$9M would go a loooong way in our plans. RG3's contribution to ratings and such definitely seems a good reason to erase a portion of the penalty, if anything to save face. Agree with the others, great post.
Agreed. I know I was one for going Scorched Earth on their punk asses. But, if quiet negotiation can get us some reprieve, I'm fine with that.

If it doesn't though, I'd still advocate Snyder and Jerruh burning the league to the ground, in court. :evil:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.