• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

It's the end of the year. It's an uncapped season. What do YOU do?

Sarge

Let's not go all danny on this and play fantasy football. But within reason, who goes? WHo stays? Who do we target?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just brutal that we’ve come to this point so early in the season. I don’t disagree that this is a lost season it’s just tough to deal with. The players and coaches are saying the right things but I don’t see any magic fix on the horizon. I think what you see is what you get with this team. Ok, let me stop crying and answer the question.

What to do?

Step 1 - Have an organizational moment of clarity.
The organization needs to understand that money is not the answer to all of our problems. Period. The willingness to spend money has not equaled one victory for this team. In fact it may have created more problems than it’s solved. If we are going to spend money it needs to be done wisely and as part of a plan (see step 2).

Step 2 – Hire a real GM.
There are a lot of individual steps that will follow this one but if this step isn’t taken I think our troubles will continue. The team needs a direction, an identity that it hasn’t had since Gibbs I. This is absolutely critical. The players we draft need to fit the plan. We have to have goals beyond this season.

Step 3 - Let the GM find a coach he is comfortable with.
I’ll depart a bit from the conventional discussion surrounding the available coaches. The coach steers the ship but the GM builds the ship. I’m fine with not hiring a “big name” guy as long as there is progress being made towards a goal. If our new GM is comfortable with one of the big names and vice versa….great. All of the part need to work together.

Step 4 – The Coach and GM need to hire their coaches
As much as we might like members of the current staff, the call on keeping or replacing coordinators and position coaches needs to be made by the new head coach and the GM. You can’t put the cart before the horse.

Step 5 – Draft with a purpose
Have a plan when you draft and stick to it. The draft is critical, act like it.

Step 6 – Any players not willing to get with the program need to go.
There are currently a grand total of zero players on this team who have “Super Bowl” credibility. We can lose just as easily without them as we could with them.

Step 7 – Have enough patience to let this work.
Right now we don’t have a plan and things need to be blown up. Once we institute a plan we need to give it time to work without bringing in “special consultants” or other foolishness. Three years would be about right but something earlier would be even better.

The problem with my plan is I can’t see anything like that ever happening. We sort of had that when Marty was here (although he wore both hats which I didn’t like) and you saw how long that lasted. Dan wants to be closer to the decision making process than he was with Marty. Vinny is his cover for doing that.

What do I see happening? I see Vinny staying as….whatever it is his title is, and I see one of the big four or five big name coaches being lured to come coach here for a big wad of cash. The players will stay largely the same. I’m sure we’ll draft a QB in the draft next season and we’ll see what happens. My guess is even with a new coach and some new faces we’re going to be about a .500 team till we get the organization straightened out.

Hog Fever said it perfectly. Snyder has hired, fired, and courted all kinds of coaches. None of these coaches have had any real success. The one constant is Cerrato, except for one year at ESPN while Marty ran the show.

If Snyder is smart and really wants to win...he needs to cut ties with Cerrato and hire a real GM. Someone that has a plan on how to build a winning team for the long haul.

Until then we will win the FA Super Bowl and play fantasy football in March.

1. Fire Cerrato and Zorn.

2. Hire Shanahan and allow him to select the franchise's next quarterback with the 2010 #1 selection.

3. Release the following players: Portis, Rabach, Griffin, Carter, Randle El, Betts, Randy Thomas, Rinehart.

4. Allow Campbell to depart in FA.

5. Allow Carlos Rogers to depart in FA and find a cheaper alternative at CB. Rogers is going to want a max deal like Hall but doesn't come up with any picks year after year despite being in close coverage. Rogers could have won a number of games for this team over the past 4 years if he had been able to hold onto the football.

I'm thinking something similar to HF-but with a bit of a twist as far as the perspective to use when approaching the "design philosophy".

Look at the current Redskins the same way you would an expansion franchise.

Hire someone as GM with a credible track record as a GM-or, HC, OC, DC-and tell him-pretend this is a new franchise and you're operating uncapped-and your goal is to create a competitive team. New scheme, new coaching sraff, new philosophy if necessary; whatever direction you think is best. You're given a minimum of three seasons with a no-fire contract-and total control of personnel and football operations, no questions asked. Go for it.

Then step the hell back and watch-it, in my estimation, would be better than the way things are done now-and, who knows it just might produce some remarkable successes.

Well, hire a GM would be the logical first step, but I had already ruled that out as something that is remotely possible :laugh:

My steps list already assumed that the best we could hope for was a new coach that also wanted to do personnel and was willing to let go some of the big contracts we have on guys whose productivity is in sharp decline.

Of the coaches out there, I'd go after Cowher the hardest. Then Holmgren. Give either of them as much freedom as you can stomach.

Firesale. Trade or cut most of our deadweight. Trade down in the draft. Get as many picks as we can ... 10-12 hopefully and truly rebuild for real.

That is, if you refuse to hire a GM to do it for you, which at this point should be the biggest no-brainer of all.

I'm thinking wholesale trades. No one would be immune. See what can be gotten for Portis, Moss, Samuels et al.

Probably keep Fat Albert and start to build the D around him.

Make ourselves Dallas circa 1989

According to the latest trends ... :book: , we should target a tight end, and another punter. Trade the rest of the picks for underachieving injury prone free agents. The rest of team can wait till next year.

Championship!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.