• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan. To punt his ass or not to punt his ass...that is the question.

Fire Shanahan?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • No.

Votes: 39 95.1%
  • Maybe. Pending RG's health.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beans

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Rival Allegiance
Shanahan has ruined this magical season for me. What was a great ride came to a sudden and abrupt halt. I have even went out of my way to avoid all sports media this past week. I can't stand the chants of "I told you so" from all the haters. Never-mind the facts. I currently have no desire to consume anything NFL...

I hold Shanahan personally responsible for this debacle. He is the coach. A 60 year old NFL coach. I don't care what a 22 year old kid says that's playing in the biggest game of his football life. He should have seen what all of humanity saw after RG3 tweaked his knee. I don't know if it was just flat out stupidity, or he just didn't give a damn, but Shanahan just put the most exciting NFL player's career in jeopardy...and I want his ass fired. If I was a season ticket holder, I'd be canceling if RG3 isn't ready this season. Why would I want to go from watching the RG3 experience to something less exciting?

So, how do the rest of you guys feel? Punt him, or keep him?

Last edited:
Beans, it isn't nice to smoke good stuff and not share, man. Seriously.

And replace him with who? Weve started over enough.

Big mistake, sure. But like Boone said, he didnt intentionally do it, the kid wanted to play, and he deserved the chance. Im sure it won't happen again.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

RG3 didn't deserve anything. He is paid to be the quarterback of the Redskins. He is a member of a team that was too hurt to play. Granted, he is a very valuable member; however, keeping him in only hurt himself and the rest of the team.

Of course it wasn't intentional. It was, however, incredibly incompetent. Worthy of getting the boot in my opinion.

I think you're buying into the hysteria and hype personally.

Step back and consider what this team accomplished this year. Instead of thinking about what happened, Shanahan starting a borderline healthy QB who ended up being a lot more hurt then any of us realized, and who ended up proving that decision to start him to be flat-out-wrong, imagine something else. Imagine that Griffin entered that playoff game 100% healthy, and (as happens plenty of times in an NFL season), had his knee blown out on a standard pocket passing play.

Would you feel devastated? Outraged? No. You'd feel disappointed.

Honestly, I don't agree with or understand Shanahan's decision to keep Griffin in that game, but I do believe it was likely his regard for RG3 and all he's done this year, and a respect for Griffin's wishes to stay in the game, that sealed Griffin's fate. I think Griffin more or less begged to stay in that game, and that Shanahan's admiration for him and appreciation for his contributions blinded him to what he really ought to do.

The end of the season was unfortunate. Not tragic. Not criminal. Just unfortunate. As for firing Shanahan, I think those calling for it should be glad they aren't held to the same standard. Shanahan made 1000 great decisions over the past 2 years. You want to burn him at the stake for a bad one? Okay, but I can't agree with that. I do understand the concern and folks being upset - good fans get upset.

That's what I think.

Beans, it isn't nice to smoke good stuff and not share, man. Seriously.

Trust me, my opinion is more than likely in the majority. Maybe not on this site, but in general. Where I live I'm surrounded by Saints and Falcons' fans, and every single one I've talked to blames Shanahan and thinks he should be fired. Most even say we would have won the game if we had taken out Griffin after the tweak.

I think you're buying into the hysteria and hype personally.

Step back and consider what this team accomplished this year. Instead of thinking about what happened, Shanahan starting a borderline healthy QB who ended up being a lot more hurt then any of us realized, and who ended up proving that decision to start him to be flat-out-wrong, imagine something else. Imagine that Griffin entered that playoff game 100% healthy, and (as happens plenty of times in an NFL season), had his knee blown out on a standard pocket passing play.

Would you feel devastated? Outraged? No. You'd feel disappointed.

Honestly, I don't agree with or understand Shanahan's decision to keep Griffin in that game, but I do believe it was likely his regard for RG3 and all he's done this year, and a respect for Griffin's wishes to stay in the game, that sealed Griffin's fate. I think Griffin more or less begged to stay in that game, and that Shanahan's admiration for him and appreciation for his contributions blinded him to what he really ought to do.

The end of the season was unfortunate. Not tragic. Not criminal. Just unfortunate. As for firing Shanahan, I think those calling for it should be glad they aren't held to the same standard. Shanahan made 1000 great decisions over the past 2 years. You want to burn him at the stake for a bad one? Okay, but I can't agree with that. I do understand the concern and folks being upset - good fans get upset.

That's what I think.

What this team accomplished this year was awesome. But that is now the past. 1000 great decisions? Please...NcNabb...the 3-4...RexBeck. Shanahan should have known better. Sometimes you have to make the hard decision. He should have looked RG3 in the face and told him he was unfit to play. For his protection and for the team.

Shanahan became popular this season because of RG3. Make no mistake...

Last edited:
McNabb? You're pulling that out? We all know that was a shot in the dark that didn't work out. And the reason he started Grossman and Beck is because he didn't draft a QB because fans thought he should - he waited for a real franchise QB. You think we LUCKED into RG3? Come on! Shanahan saw who this kid was and he and Allen did what it took to get him.

He also plucked Alfred Morris from obscurity to stardom. And he's generally done a great job. If you want to ignore the good and seize on the few bad calls he's made, that's fine. But that IS what you're doing.

It's about balance, my friend.

Without Shanahan, we are not in a position to draft Griffin to begin with. If you think for one minute that anyone other than Mike had the last word on the decision to trade 4 picks for 1 so we could get Griff, you are kidding yourself. It was Mike's decision to name Robert the starter in OTA's. Probably Mike's decision to allow for the adaptation of the read option and the Pistol.

Yeah, he made a bad call at the end of the season. So did Griffin. Shanahan also made a lot of correct calls this year.

Balance.

Hmmmmm...might be a blog in this post somewhere....

If the national media and fans of other teams are saying he should go. I, of course, shall vote for him to stay.

Firing him after the season we just enjoyed is an absolute stupid idea.

Kyle will be driving soon enough.

Mike deserves two more years at least.

We were a disaster just 10 short weeks ago...now, we're contenders.

Contenders because of RG3. I get some of y'alls positivity with regards to this team. But I believe that without RG, this team is still a dumpster fire. The defense stinks. The right side of the O-line stinks. And none of us know how the offense will look without RG3. An asset that might not ever be the same because of a coach's incompetence. Does anyone think that if RG is finished or not the same, that this blunder will not define Shanahan's time with the Skins? It will more than likely be considered the top worst coaching blunder of all time.

Last edited:
This is a really tough one. After some time has passed, and emotions have calmed, I do believe his decision to play RG3 when he was clearly injured seriously, makes this the single worst coaching decision in franchise history.

Upon further reflection, I can't think of a worse coaching decision in the history of the entire league. If there is ever a NFLN show on "stupidest coaching decisions ever" this is easily taking the top spot. Hands down.

Through his stupidity, he didn't just run one great player into the ground. He ran three separate first round picks into the ground. He risked the career of three separate firsts with one ignorant decision.

It's also easy to see right through his weasel-like attempt to deflect the blame, rather than standing up like a man. And his decision to try and hide the MRI results? He believes he's smarter than everyone else--when clearly, he isn't.

I'd fire him right this second. I'd fire him three separate times; once for each first round pick.

So, when RG3 returns, has a great career, and the Redskins win the NFC East for the next 5 years and add 2 more Super Bowl trophies to the cabinet, what will you say then?

I guess that will be all in spite of Mike Shanahan, huh?

Kyle will be driving soon enough.

Mike deserves two more years at least.

We were a disaster just 10 short weeks ago...now, we're contenders.

Yup, Daytona 500 is in a month! JGR!!!

So, when RG3 returns, has a great career, and the Redskins win the NFC East for the next 5 years and add 2 more Super Bowl trophies to the cabinet, what will you say then?

I will say he was worth the trade up to get him...

I guess that will be all in spite of Mike Shanahan, huh?

One can only dream your scenario happens. Love the optimism.

One can only dream your scenario happens. Love the optimism.

You've already credited your scenario (that Griffin is permanently damaged and will never be the QB he 'could have been') as a done deal. I guess only possibilities more positive than that are 'scenarios'.

You have no more idea than any of us what the future holds. We just won the NFC East in case you didn't notice. I'd say that's reason for 'optimism'.

Love the sarcasm.

Of course you say that. All you want is to see the negative. Thats the whole reason you created a thread about firing shanahan instead of just posting in one of the other ones

But we are on our way. We won the division, we have a good team, and no matter how you try to rationalize it, its the truth.

You're wrong. I created this thread for the poll because I wanted to see where the members of this site stood with regards to Shanahan. I do see plenty of positive, but all that kind of went out the window. The foreseeable future of this franchise has been put in peril by the actions (or inactions) of one man. Please explain to me how the current turmoil is not his fault?

Youre so dead set on doom and gloom no matter what I try to say you'll argue it and not get my meaning.

Its sad that even in the midst of a winning season you still cant be happy. Even when griff, doctors, coaches, players, friends, etc say he will be back you cant get on board too. I get you're just so used to tje team sucking your first instinct is to scream like the sky is falling, but this isn't 2006.

How am I stuck on "gloom and doom", when the only thing I'm really advocating is Shanahan be held accountable for his actions? RG3 very well may bounce back like nothing happened (please God). This is a big deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.