• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Shanahan. To punt his ass or not to punt his ass...that is the question.

Fire Shanahan?

• Yes

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • No.

Votes: 39 95.1%
  • Maybe. Pending RG's health.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Perhaps you should read your posts again starting with "you're wrong" as far as us going in the right direction.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I think you misinterpreted what I meant with "you're wrong". That was addressing the reasons why you thought I started this thread. Which was to get a poll going...

Voted no, and I somehow see this horse being beaten well into next season as well.

It's nice to hear other fans wanting to boil their coach in oil for a change after John Fox didn't allow Manning to throw to seal the game against the Ratbirds. There's even a Facebook page to fire John Fox. :gossip:

How am I stuck on "gloom and doom", when the only thing I'm really advocating is Shanahan be held accountable for his actions? RG3 very well may bounce back like nothing happened (please God). This is a big deal.

He is accountable. If RG proves damaged and can't perform, the team will falter and Shanahan will get canned. This didn't need a poll. Reading any of the other threads would tell you exactly where everyone stands. We won the freaking division after complete suckitude for 2 dam decades. Shanahan is as responsible for that as he is for not pulling RG3. We're on an upward trend and I sure as heck don't want to screw that up being knee jerk as we've accused Snyder for so long.

I have pretty much moved on and made my peace with things. I have been absolutely furious with Shanahan over this but I don't see him getting fired for it. He made a bad call. A really really bad call. But the team is moving in the right direction for the first time since ... well since Beathard left really. At this point firing him would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. We're not in the business of revenge. We're in the business of winning football games.

Shanahan made a huge mistake. I do think that needs to be acknowledged, but it's time to move forward. We're not going to do that by firing the coach right now.

the poll is flawed. the decision on Shanahan (for discussion purposes here as I am sure the Redskins are not going to fire him) should not be based on whether Griffin makes it back from the injury.

it should be based on whether Shanahan was reckless in putting Griffin out there after he tweaked the knee in the first quarter and allowed him to struggle for another 30 plus minutes before crumpling to the ground that final time.

the poll is flawed. the decision on Shanahan (for discussion purposes here as I am sure the Redskins are not going to fire him) should not be based on whether Griffin makes it back from the injury.

it should be based on whether Shanahan was reckless in putting Griffin out there after he tweaked the knee in the first quarter and allowed him to struggle for another 30 plus minutes before crumpling to the ground that final time.

I put that option in because some might feel that way. Obviously I voted for him to get canned, and that seems to put me in the minority here @ bgobsession.com. The poll results are a little surprising to me...

nobody here will mistake me for a pollyanna or even a shanny supporter but we had better not fire him YET.

we need a DC, we need a special teams guy and we need to keep the offensive structure in place. we need to draft a young QB again preferably a mobile athletic one who can at least somewhat run this system to sit behind cousins because I doubt RG3 is ready to go at the start of the year.

Shannahan has made some of the most massive screw ups I have seen as a fan, the aborted mission that was our change to a 3-4 that took almost 4 years when everyone else gets better the first year or goes back to the previous scheme lol, the Mcrapp debacle, telling everyone JOhn Beck was good, then playing Rg3 when anyone with eyes could see he wasnt right and then trying to deflect the blame, those things cost him credibility. But then we have him tailoring an offence to Rg3, and resurecting an offence that has been brutal for almost a decade, and doing it with a patchwork line. we also have some great young talent to build around, and if we can get a better Defence, this team can make some noise.

we wont know for another 2-3 seasons pending the development of that draft class and the next two but so far it looks like a decent trade, if Rg3 doesnt comeback all the way then we will deal with that when it happens.

for now, you dont fire shanny this season but you dont extend him either.

If you would have asked me this on monday, I would have said fire his ass and do it now! After time to cool off I can see that if we did that who knows how far back it would set us. He made a mistake, a huge one really, but i bet he will never make it again.

If RG3 said he couldn't go and Shanahan told him to suck it up and play, then he should be fired. But RG3 was adamant about playing and told the coach he was fine. Yes, Shanahan should have seen that he wasn't fine and pulled him. But it's not a fireable offense when RG3 was telling him his knee was fine and he could play.

Step away from the ledge...

Shanahan is a great coach, a lot of owners would give their nard sack to have him. That being said, if it wasn't for his willingness to change the offensive philosophy to put RGIII in the best situation to win, I don't think that you guys would have gone as far as you did.

Mostly, I think Shan is absolutely crucial for Griffin's development as an NFL QB. Firing him would not only be a setback for your franchise and your fans, but your QB too.

I put that option in because some might feel that way. Obviously I voted for him to get canned, and that seems to put me in the minority here @ bgobsession.com. The poll results are a little surprising to me...

You're in good company. :thewave:

Step away from the ledge...

Shanahan is a great coach, a lot of owners would give their nard sack to have him. That being said, if it wasn't for his willingness to change the offensive philosophy to put RGIII in the best situation to win, I don't think that you guys would have gone as far as you did.

Mostly, I think Shan is absolutely crucial for Griffin's development as an NFL QB. Firing him would not only be a setback for your franchise and your fans, but your QB too.

A lot of owners? I'd bet two, at tops.

keep shanny and keep working on putting the parts together on this team..

I'm glad to see we're almost 95% in agreement that Shanahan should stick around. If we fired head coaches for injuring players, there wouldn't be a safe coach in the NFL. Belicheat would be fired today for re-injuring Gronkowski.

Nobody would fire a coach that won 7 straight to end a season (other than the Chargers) but yeah I was calling for RG3 to sit as soon as he threw a pass after his re-injury in the 1st quarter. He was obviously not capable of running the offense and his backup had already won 2 games and would've had a 14 point lead.

Really really surprised by the results. I don't live in Redskins country so I don't know the general feeling, but I see a lot of credit going to Shanahan for winning the division on this board. How much he actually deserves is up for debate, and I'll reiterate my sentiments that without RG3 the Skins are more than likely still hanging out in the cellar; moreover, I can't for the life of me understand how many are so quick to forgive Shanahan. He damaged and put the organization's most important asset at risk. In everyday normal life that all of us live, that gets you insta-fired. That's cool that I'm in the minority and this will be my final written opinion on this matter. I will just focus on staying as optimistic as possible throughout the offseason. What's done is done...

HTTR.

Beans,

Due respect, but I think the disconnect here is that so many observers, fans and media alike, simply do not accept or acknowledge the reality of 'football culture.'

Shanahan's decision can be farily questionned on football grounds---Robert was ineffective after the injury and the team might well have been playing Atlanta last weekend if he had put Cousins in after the half. Hell, I was ssaying I wanted to see Cousins try to put the game away about halfway through the 3rd quarter myself.

But to suggest Shanahan acted inconsistently or irresponsibly, to the point of firing, by leaving a hurting star player in the game, to me ignores what every person attached to the game itself, coaches and trainers and former players alike, has said repeatedly. Players play hurt. It's ingrained in the culture of the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.