• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2013 Washington Capitals Thread

Should that have been a penalty? I've never played hockey and when you add to that that I'm a casual fan I just don't know where the fine line of letting them play and calling the penalty lays :\

I think if he had gone down instantly, it would have been a penalty. There is supposed to be some continuation, if he's losing his balance. At least, that's my understanding.

Good morning, good afternoon & goodnight Buffalo! Caps win!

It's because I wasn't watching.

I swear Washington area teams do better when I'm not watching. For the longest time I had assumed I was the curse of the Redskins :\

The loss last night was sad to watch. They blew a 2-0 lead. It's funny, right before they blew the lead Craig Laughlin was talking about how the caps got the lead - mainly by staying out of the penalty box which allowed their defenders to stay fresh and not have to kill off the power play so much.

And within 2 minutes of him saying that the caps went down a road of committing penalties and constantly being on the PK - they even got away with some that should have put them on the PK even more. And they lost - they gave up 3 goals rather quickly.

They did get a BS high stick penalty on a follow through (which isn't supposed to be a penalty?), you just can't put yourself in the box that often and expect to win. Especially when you're supposed to be protecting a lead in the later half of the game.

Another blown lead. All because of penalties. They don't get any breaks either, they're just not good enough to overcome not getting the breaks.

You can't spend 10 minutes of the first period (that's half the period...) on the penalty kill and expect your defense to be able to play worth a crap in the 3rd period.

Honestly, I turned last night's game off after the first Toronto goal. I could see the writing on the wall. We score. We take a slew of bad penalties. The PK squad gets abused. I go to bed pissed off.

Can we ever score and just enjoy having a little mo for a change? Ever??

The Caps aren't playing very good hockey this season, but that game against the Pens was egregiously poor officiating. Not sure if the outcome would have changed, since our Power Play is close to nonexistent, but man. Some really bad no calls, and then they gave the Pens some Power Plays that should not have been called - the "trip" on Crabb springs to mind.

Just awful officiating that game, made it hard to watch. Plus, NBC fellates Sir Cindy every time he does anything. Ugh.

Canucks GM & Assistant GM were in the building for the Capitals/Penguins game on Sunday, which has started the Luongo to Washington rumors swirling. There has been a "mystery team" in the mix, so I guess its possible. I for one would HATE this move.

I haven't decided at what point I'm going to stop watching the games.

On one hand, i'm not exactly a huge hockey fan. So being a crap team plays a big part.

On the other hand there just flat out isn't that much good TV on this time of year. With a DVR I can blow through shows quickly and wind up with nothing to watch. Wizards and capitals games are great for that.

Decisions decisions...

one thing is for sure, i'll never ever allow a caps fan to talk **** about redskins fans again. caps fans are unbelievably pathetic. they're already not going to the games. empty seats in the lower level the last 4 games, and the season just started.

they're not even in the same league as redskins fans.

Man, you used to be able to get lowers for like $25 in the early 2000s, aka "the atrocious years" before Ovechkin. His first year, prices were still very low. It wasn't until Boudreau's run in 2007 that they started selling out. This is admittedly when I started paying attention more closely, I was always a pretty casual fan before that.

You're right though, Caps fans are the definition of bandwagon fans.

That was just clown hockey right there.

I haven't seen that much asshattery in a sporting event since the javale and young crew.

This team is excruciatingly bad, approaching 03-04 levels. I'm not really sure what has happened, but they can't maintain the puck, they can't buy a shot within 10 feet of the net and when they do, they're getting some really bad puck luck. John Carlson looks like a high school player out there, completely overwhelmed. At least Alzner still looks fantastic. Bonafied Norris candidate that one.

Mike Ribiero is everything we hoped he would be, only a couple years too late. If GMGM had traded for him (or someone equivalent to him) 3 years ago, the Caps would already have a Cup. Too little, too late McPhee! I've been an ardent GMGM supporter these past few years, but I think its time to go. He put together some really good teams, but never could really put all the pieces together. We're seeing more of that this year.

And Ovechkin...the huge Russian gorilla in the room. What the heck? His game has become so predictable its laughable. And then there was this. Unlike the other great players in any sport, he refuses to adapt and become better. The skills are still there, he just insists on doing the same thing over and over. Skate into the Offensive zone solo, try a curl & drag, fail. Wash, rinse, repeat. DO SOMETHING ELSE.

I actually think Ovechkin is putting forth way more effort than he used to, especially on defense and in the forecheck. He's responsible for most of the turnovers they get on defense because of his speed and ability to just surprise people and steal the puck.

You're right about his endless desire to go 1 on 3 into the offensive zone only to trip up and lose the puck. It's actually lead to goals for the other team in a few cases where they caught the rest of the caps off guard in the transition.

He's always going to do that though, it's what you get with a player like him. It just so happens the rest of the team isn't playing well enough to compensate for it, so it's become just another item in a long list of problems. I'll take it though if it means he continues to give the effort he's giving on defense, even when oats is double-shifting him all night long like has lately.

I actually think Ovechkin is putting forth way more effort than he used to, especially on defense and in the forecheck. He's responsible for most of the turnovers they get on defense because of his speed and ability to just surprise people and steal the puck.

You're right about his endless desire to go 1 on 3 into the offensive zone only to trip up and lose the puck. It's actually lead to goals for the other team in a few cases where they caught the rest of the caps off guard in the transition.

He's always going to do that though, it's what you get with a player like him. It just so happens the rest of the team isn't playing well enough to compensate for it, so it's become just another item in a long list of problems. I'll take it though if it means he continues to give the effort he's giving on defense, even when oats is double-shifting him all night long like has lately.

Interesting take, but I feel quite the opposite, and am more apt to side with Homer McFanboy's take on it. The team around him is actually playing well, but its filled with role players. They need their superstar to step up. Guys like Ribiero, Ward, Brouwer, Chimera, Beagle, etc. are playing their asses off. Ovi is lackadaisical at points. He disappears for periods at a time.

Interesting take, but I feel quite the opposite, and am more apt to side with Homer McFanboy's take on it. The team around him is actually playing well, but its filled with role players. They need their superstar to step up. Guys like Ribiero, Ward, Brouwer, Chimera, Beagle, etc. are playing their asses off. Ovi is lackadaisical at points. He disappears for periods at a time.

Yeah, as I've said many times before, I'm not a hockey person much less an expert. I'm a person that watches a lot of capitals games because I enjoy cheering for Washington teams and the caps have been exciting to watch for the better part of the few years.

I think Ovie is putting in more effort than he ever has on defense, and that's something I had a problem with back in the glory days of the Ovechkin capitals. I'm enjoying watching him hustle after people in the defensive zone and cause turnovers, instead of just standing there waiting to start a breakout like he used to.

But I could also be misinterpreting what I'm seeing, or missing the bigger picture. I've watched almost every game this year, but I'm not under the illusion that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to hockey :)

I'll give you an example of him just not being in the game mentally:

Against, the Pens, he and Ribiero skated in to the offensive zone, with a very good chance to score. Ovi actually pulled a pretty nifty move to get around the defenseman, and then passed it to Ribiero who was in the slot. Instead of then crashing the net to either get the puck back from Ribiero or try to deflect his shot or smack in a rebound, he lazily skated around the back of the net, leaving Mike there by himself in the slot. Turnover. That is NOT the Ovechkin we've seen in previous years.

Yeah the announcers made a big deal about that when it happened, so I remember what you're saying.

I agree - he's not giving the lights out performance he's capable of. I do like his new hustle in the defensive zone though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.