• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

2013 Washington Capitals Thread

We've lacked significant depth for the past several seasons, GMGM needs to be held accountable for that. We simply can't compete against teams built with contributors on all lines while we depend primarily on two.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I don't know, when you look at the stats - http://capitals.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

the points came from all over the place. 3 of top 5 point contributors came off the 3rd an 4th lines.

I felt like the 3rd and 4th lines matched up well against the rangers. The first and second not so much, but Erat was missing the last few games...

The caps just can't beat the rangers style when the rangers have the lead... They're supposedly a very good defensive team. They take a lead and clamp down, the caps couldn't get through it.

Oh well. The new division next year will make things interested. Making the playoffs will be quite a bit more challenging.

Yeah, they missed Erat badly those final two and a half games. I like Fehr a lot more as a dominant 3rd-liner than a mediocre 2nd-liner.

They did win games 1 and 5 after going down 1-0, but Lundqvist really stepped his game up in games 6 & 7. And after watching this series, I'm not sure how McDonaugh is not a Norris candidate every year...dude is unbelievable.

When Kevin Sheehan on ESPN 980 talks about the capitals, he only does it when there's been disappointment (for the most part, he talks when there is success, but the %'s are clearly skewed.) And when he does so there's just a tiny bit of glee in his comments.

I can't say I blame him. I'm in the same boat as him as a fan - A die hard redskins fan, who also cheers for the capitals because they're a Washington team.

Right after the caps came onto the scene in the area big time after the 2007/2008 season, their fans were ****ing obnoxious. I mean, absolutely obnoxious. It was right when Jim Zorn took over and the redskins were at the lowest I've seen them in my life time. It's when chants at FedEx Field were 'FI-RE VINNEY - clap clap clapclapclap - FI-RE VINNY', signs were banned, etc etc.

All we heard about was how awful the redskins were, how dumb the redskins fans were for still following, and how the capitals have done it right - their success was inevitable. They would have not one, but multiple Stanley cup trophies. Leonsis even started taking shots at Snyder in the media and in his blog.

The collective puffing of the chests was obnoxious, and even though I'm a fan of the capitals I can't help but laugh at their die hard fans that acted like this. It's been 5 years and the team's done jack **** other than win a terrible division.

I'm not sure how people here remember that, or experienced it. I would imagine if you're here, you're a big enough redskins fan you didn't act like that. But there were plenty who did.

The nats fans should take notice, because they started doing the same thing last year and during this past offseason...

I told a friend of mine, who now hates the redskins and is a huge nats fan, a few months ago before the season started that he better be careful how much gloating his does before the season starts. Teams that tend to think they've accomplished the goal of winning a championship before the season even starts tend to have a less than expected future...

Well, anyone who hates on one DC sports team over another for any reason is an asshole to begin with, and you shouldn't give them any of your time.

They do have a point though - until recently, the Redskins were building the wrong way and the Caps were building the right way. But all that is past us, now that we've got Shanallen in charge. :)

Czaben on the other hand was surprisingly optimistic about the caps.

2013-14 is going to be a rough year...we might finish above the Hurricanes, but I think we're going to be in the bottom 2 or 3 of our new division. 2014-15, on the other hand, is going to be much better. They will have more cap space, Tom Wilson should be ready to contribute full time, and they'll be getting Kuznetsov from Russia.

They may be able to salvage next season if they trade Holtby or Neuvirth for some 3rd line depth or a 2nd line center, but I'd rather just be really bad next year, maybe get a really high draft pick and then make another couple runs.

Well, the season ends on a somewhat high note...Ovechkin collected his third Hart Memorial Trophy as the NHL's Most Valuable Player, as voted on by the sports writers (Crosby won the Ted Lindsey trophy, for Most Outstanding Player as voted on by the NHLPA).

As the regular-season goals-scored leader, Ovechkin also became the first 3-time Rocket Richard winner, surpassing Jerome Iginla, Pavel Bure & Steve Stamkos in total Richard trophies.

The Capitals have decided to let Ribiero walk...I have no idea why they didn't trade him at the deadline this year, but oh well. I guess they legit thought they had a chance at the Cup with Ribs in the lineup. If Erat doesn't get injured...who knows? But, he did.

Vinny LeCavielier has been bought out by the Lightning - I don't think the Caps can afford him, but you never know. Would be interesting to see him in DC, that's for sure.

Caps are reportedly going to use their 1st compliance buy-out on Jeff Schultz. So long, Sarge! Don't let the door hit ya...

This team is bi-polar, they either look lethargic or out of sync or just rolling on all cylinders, gotta find more goals outside of the pp though, depending on penalties to get goals doesn't seem wise to me.

Yeah, its a wild season. Ovechkin is certainly on a tear though; hit his 20th before Thanksgiving. Currently on pace to hit 68 on the season. That's highly unlikely, but I think he's a safe bet for another 50+ goal season, and not too much of a longshot for another 60-goal season. Dude is just playing out of his mind right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.