• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Fallout From Griffin's Injury

Forget the doctors. Shanahan's EYES should have told him that Robert could no longer compete effectively in the game.

Knee or no knee that is the time you make a change, for the benefit of the team.

Now it appears Griffin could miss a significant portion of 2013 beibg injured so severely, this late.

Who's interest does that serve?
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

So, he pulls griff, we lose and redskins nation thinks hes scared and doesnt have it.

He was ****ed no matter what he didn

I don't agree, Mike. I think most of Redskin nation figured we were "playing with house money", to steal from my friend Henry. After all the injuries (Rak, Carriker, Davis, Neild, Merriweather, Helu), I think nearly everyone felt like we had a great season and making the playoffs was a great step.

I think everyone would have been fine if Shanahan had pulled Griff at halftime, if not before. He was not helping the team at that point and it is really tough to look at the tape and argue anything different. By the middle of the 2nd Qtr it was obvious to anyone watching the game that Griff wasn't right and was only hindering our offensive efforts.

Not true. Nobody wants to win more than I do but you have to keep your eye on the prize. The prize is building a team that over time wins the Super Bowl.

And that goal is not advanced by allowing a clearly compromised player from going until he figuratively drops dead.

The irony?

Even if the Redskins won the game after Griffin was re-injured we were likely to see Cousins the rest of the way in the postseason.

So, what was the harm in putting him out there to try and help win this game on two feet?

But that is why Shanahan is making $7M a year, to take the hard decisions and not to let fan exuberance overwhelm better judgment.

As others have said we were 10-6 with a host of injuries. This team came really close to its ceiling with the talent on the field.

If some fans can't accept that keeping Griffin healthy is the biggest priority AT THIS STAGE of the team's development then they don't deserve to see a winner.

So, he pulls griff, we lose and redskins nation thinks hes scared and doesnt have it.

He was ****ed no matter what he didn

I don't think so at all Mike. As Boone deftly mentioned during the game chat after we went up 14-0, Shanahan should have pulled him then as it was obvious he was struggling and we could save him for Atlanta, if possible. I agreed then and, obviously, I agree now.

I thought it was pretty apparent even then that, unless it's short yardage or we're in the red zone, Griff probably wouldn't be effective. Even though hindsight is 20/20, I don't think Mike should be canned but I DO think he deserves a HUGE kick to the balls.

Mike, I think most of us have documented proof that we were calling for Cousins by the second half. We're not making this up after the fact.

Had we simply lost the game I'd have already let it go by now. But losing Griffin, possibly for a long long time ... well, it's a big deal.

But that is why Shanahan is making $7M a year, to take the hard decisions and not to let fan exuberance overwhelm better judgment.

As others have said we were 10-6 with a host of injuries. This team came really close to its ceiling with the talent on the field.

If some fans can't accept that keeping Griffin healthy is the biggest priority AT THIS STAGE of the team's development then they don't deserve to see a winner.

Lol, don't deserve a winner? Come on, man. Get off it.

Yes, I see that keeping Griffin healthy is very important to this franchise. I also see that like Mike said, Shanny was between a rock and a hard place. Every decision was the wrong one.

Fact of the matter is, I don't think a rookie Kirk Cousins, behind our OL, beats the Seahawks. 14-point lead or not. But, then again, that's just my opinion. I'm also not willing to just lay down and lose to protect the future of the franchise, who is just as likely to blow out his knee running drills in training camp, as we've seen happen around the league so many times.

Lanky, there was a glaringly obvious difference in Robert's ability to get out of his own way, much less plant the leg to throw off of, after the ill advised sideline throw when he immediately took his helmet off, in pain.

Giving him until halftime to prove he could get the job done was more than enough. He was worse than Rex Grossman and Mark Brunell, on their worse days, combined.

As I've said, Stevie ****ing Wonder could see it. I'm amazed that anybody, could not.

Its not about what you or I saw. Its not even about what Shanahan saw. Its about the dynamic between the head coach and his star player. It wasn't the first time a star player stayed in the game with an injury, and it won't be the last.

Fact of the matter is, I don't think a rookie Kirk Cousins, behind our OL, beats the Seahawks. 14-point lead or not. But, then again, that's just my opinion. I'm also not willing to just lay down and lose to protect the future of the franchise, who is just as likely to blow out his knee running drills in training camp, as we've seen happen around the league so many times.

Lanky, Griffin literally laid down and lost the game on Sunday. That's a fact.

Sorry, that trumps any opinion that Cousins wouldn't have been able to win after being spotted a lead.

Either way you look at it Shanahan made a very bad call. If you want to protect our start player: wrong call. If you want to win the game: wrong call.

Those wrong calls are going to be potentially very very costly to this team.

Last edited:
Yes, I see that keeping Griffin healthy is very important to this franchise. I also see that like Mike said, Shanny was between a rock and a hard place. Every decision was the wrong one.

Perhaps he WAS between a rock and a hard place but had Cousins come in and we still lost, I wouldn't be one of those second guessing him. I WOULD consider putting a hit out on Haloti Ngata though. :hammer:

Lanky, Griffin literally laid down and lost the game on Sunday. That's a fact.

Sorry, that trumps your opinion that Cousins wouldn't have been able to after being spotted a lead.

Either way you look at it Shanahan made a very bad call. If you want to protect our start player: wrong call. If you want to win the game: wrong call.

Those wrong calls are going to be potentially very very costly to this team.

It's an important point lost in the injury debate that he was wrong on BOTH counts. Griffin did not give us the best chance to win after he reinjured himelf. It was plain as day and was discussed thoroughly in the game chat.

Okay Lanky, so Sam Bradford and Ryan Tannehill could beat the Seahawks defense but Cousins with a 14-0 lead was a definite 'no way'?

Come on. I've got my own ROFLMAO mojo going now.....

And what some of us are doing is agreeing that some fans may very well have complained about removing Griffin the way fans complained about the Nationals shutting down Strasburg.

But Shanahan at his level needs to look beyond the immediate reaction and make the right call for the team going forward, those today or bust fans be damned.

bull****, you pull a guy who cant barely walk and put in the guy YOU drafted in the 4th round instead of an Olineman because it is common sense.

Cousins should have been put in because the threat of the QB running the boot or the read option is the only thing that made the run game work. the key to this offence is freezing the dline with ball fakes and with having to read, as soon as we lost that Seattle sold out on the run and pass and absolutely punked our oline. Griffin at 75% in the first Q was able to move the ball easily, Griffin at 20% was not, even on the last boot where he was obviously limping, it was wide open, a hhealthy guy turns that into a 30 yard run, an injured guy got 12. THATS hwy this was was stupid.

we paid 3 first round picks for one player, basically saying " we think this guy is the future" He justified that price with his play and we need to protect that future, so letting him back in the game when it was obvious he could no longer defend himself was abject stupidity and negligence. I wouldnt have even played him in this game at all.

have any of you ever played football with a sprained knee? even with a brace the likelyhood of making the injury worse is extremely high because it reduces the stability of the joint. thats why Andrews whose reputation relies on being right, said he wasnt consulted. I will be extremely surprised if he is back with team next year.

There do appear to be some folks that think risking a guy's career or simply his availability next season to try and win a wildcard game is a balanced trade.

Take out for a minute what Cousins would have been able to do.

Let's imagine Grossman or Beck was still here.

The argument on that level is basically the same.

It's sad there are fans that are so in the 'now' that keeping Griffin out there because they think it was the only way in their minds to win wildcard game is fully justified.

Franchises are not remembered often when the go to but lose the Super Bowl.

Imagine how low on the totum pole this game was in that context.

Okay Lanky, so Sam Bradford and Ryan Tannehill could beat the Seahawks defense but Cousins with a 14-0 lead was a definite 'no way'?

Come on. I've got my own ROFLMAO mojo going now.....

That's faulty logic. Sam Bradford beat them in week 4. Their most recent meeting went differently. Tannehill beat them over a month ago, a loss that propelled them to a 4-game win streak, including dropping two 50-bombs in consecutive weeks. Not to mention Sam Bradford & Ryan Tannehill have been the starters from day one, and prepared like it. Cousins was coming in with minimal preparation.

And I didn't say it was a definite no-way, I'm saying it was not definite at all. Shanahan clearly thought he had a better chance with a gimpy Griffin. It was a tough call that he either left up to Robert, or let Robert sway him.

My only point is that its silly to fault Shanahan, when none of us know the details behind the decision.

have any of you ever played football with a sprained knee? even with a brace the likelyhood of making the injury worse is extremely high because it reduces the stability of the joint. thats why Andrews whose reputation relies on being right, said he wasnt consulted. I will be extremely surprised if he is back with team next year.

Actually, that is 100% wrong. The brace is designed to stabilize the knee, hence the reduction in mobility. It literally holds it in place so it is harder to move.

There do appear to be some folks that think risking a guy's career or simply his availability next season to try and win a wildcard game is a balanced trade.

Take out for a minute what Cousins would have been able to do.

Let's imagine Grossman or Beck was still here.

The argument on that level is basically the same.

It's sad there are fans that are so in the 'now' that keeping Griffin out there because they think it was the only way in their minds to win wildcard game is fully justified.

Franchises are not remembered often when the go to but lose the Super Bowl.

Imagine how low on the totum pole this game was in that context.

The future is not guaranteed.

No, you cannot guarantee success but you can more easily take the steps to prevent success from coming to you. I think we did that here.

I just think that the whole LCL dilemma started with the Ravens game, so its a bit hypocritical to call for Griffin not to play Sunday if you wanted him to play the previous two weeks. Just my 2 cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.