• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

HOW This Game Was Managed Has Me Steamed

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
The proverbial shoe has already been thrown through the TV set, so there is no point in talking me down on this one.

Mike and Kyle Shanahan to me lost on two fronts today:

First, they both failed to protect this team's greatest asset, Robert Griffin, in a case where we had a one-legged race horse out there for almost 3 quarters before he fell for the final time re-injuring the knee a second time in the same contest.

That is UNACCEPTABLE.

Second, they failed to see through what could have been a Redskins victory by substituting Kirk Cousins early in the third quarter after Griffin showed in the first drive or two that he could not properly plant and throw the ball accurately or competently run any form of the option attack. Worse, Griffin was showing that he could not protect himself in the pocket or on the edge by eluding even DL and LBs.

This game was 14-13 for the longest time and the defense consistently held the Seahawks out of the end zone. Yet, there Shanahan stood on the sidelines watching Griffin throw errant balls and limp back to the huddle. He watched Griffin try and sprint to the outside, pass up running lanes and hobble out of bounds on a couple of occasions.

Cousins I think could have made a difference if he had most of the second half to work with instead of what became essentially garbage time.

But again, you lose the game AND put your defenseless qb in a position to sustain a major injury, you don't get coaching kudos from me.

The decision-making today was very poor.

I agree with you. I also suspect that the Shanahans looked Griffin in the eye at the half and asked him, are you up to this? And I'm equally sure he told them he was fine, when he knew he wasn't.

It is what it is. Griffin's got to be smarter, and the coaches have to realize they have to protect him from himself. On top of all that, we abandoned the run almost completely after the 1st quarter, inexplicable given that we were opening up gaping holes. Of course, when the opponent knows your QB can't throw that ball, that's somewhat helpful.

Great season, very disappointing game. But I'll take it over past seasons of late any day. I don't have 'mad' in me at this point.

I was wondering what they were thinking myself. That showed no faith in Cousins at all, which maybe is merited by what they think they have with him. I cannot understand, however, why they kept Griffin in so long.

I have no doubt Griffin wanted to be in. His will and mind were in the game. His body was not in sync with those two facets, however. It was an obvious thing, and I really wonder why they chose to keep him in so long with that being the case. It shouldn't have taken a bad snap (what was with those at the end of the game anyway?) to show them how much they were gambling with.

This one can be spread around from Mike leaving him in too long, to Kyle forgeting the run game when it was working, to the D with their horse **** tackling.

I would add something:

Griffin would not have had to throw as much if they actually just fed the ball to Morris and get 2nd and 6s instead of passing and getting 2nd and 10s and 3rd and 10s. Griff was injured in part because it was 3rd and long and they had to pass.

Not only that, but they were blind to see that Griff's accuracy was off. The ball was sailing on him just a little, but enough that his typical "in-stride" became jump passes.

Shanahan is talking now about the talk he and Griff had. He said Griff told him he was hurt, but not injured. Said Griff told him to trust him, couldn't disagree with him.

Dammit i wanna head butt Aikman so friggin bad right now.

Shanahan is talking now about the talk he and Griff had. He said Griff told him he was hurt, but not injured. Said Griff told him to trust him, couldn't disagree with him.
Yeah, ALMOST EVERY PLAYER (unless his name is Albert Haynesworth) is going to downplay his degree of injury. You can't trust their word for it.

And what about Dr Andrews ???

Was he left out of the loop this time, as well ??

We need to stop trusting RG3's opinion on injuries, and use the Doctor for what he's an expert in, and what he's paid to do

Shanny said Dr Andrews was one of several doctors on the sidelines they consulted with today.

Bottom line is Shanahan said he was going to make decisions to win. Today, he didn't do that either in regards to winning this game against Seattle OR in protecting his key player for wins in the future.

The score of this game was 14-13 even after Griffin had been ineffective for 30 minutes.

That to me says ANY lift a healthy Cousins could have provided in the third and early fourth quarters would have put the outcome in doubt and might very well have resulted in a Washington victory.

And what about Dr Andrews ???

Was he left out of the loop this time, as well ??

We need to stop trusting RG3's opinion on injuries, and use the Doctor for what he's an expert in, and what he's paid to do
Dr. Andrews sure knows a thing or two about knees, such as the knee of Andrei Markov, which prevented Markov from playing for two full seasons.

How about the Head Coach just uses his EYES :mad:

When a player can't plant and throw OR accelerate on the run, of what practical value is he on the field?

I expect a lot more out of a guy that has been a coach in the NFL for 30 years (head and assistant) and has 4 Super Bowl rings.

There was no chance Shanny was going to voluntarily go away from Griffin. We can debate whether or not he should have, but it shows his loyalty to Robert. I said it during chat, there was no chance a switch would be made.

I put some of this on RG3. He has always been about team - until now. I hope he will mature some more and make the right decisions in the future. Otherwise, the coach needs to step in and make that call.

Bottom line, you can't play on ego alone and I'm disappointed in the choice that RG3 made today. Yes, Irvin had a cheap shot on him and I'm sure that aggravated the injury. However, there comes a point when you take one for the team and let another player step up. That worked out well in two games down the stretch and it could've worked out well if our young rookie had swallowed some pride.

Well, then he doesn't belong in the same conversation with Gibbs or Walsh who did in fact bench starters when they didn't think they were a real 'go' or when they were no longer able to help the team on the field due to injury.

There IS as many have said a difference between being hurt and being injured. Griffin definitely was the LATTER and it doesn't take a Hall of Fame GM or Head Coach to have seen that.

Absolutely agree. By the end of the third quarter I was screaming for Cousins. Waiting until Griffin literally falls over untouched is absolutely inexcusable.

I expect Griffin to want to stay in. I also expect Shanahan to know better.

There was no chance Shanny was going to voluntarily go away from Griffin. We can debate whether or not he should have, but it shows his loyalty to Robert. I said it during chat, there was no chance a switch would be made.
Another bull**** moral victory. This loyalty cost this team wins. Not just today, but potentially in the future. It might also lessen the career RGIII would have had if he didn't get hurt.

Griffin is 22 years old. He wants to the city's hero. We all sense that. You can't as the Head Coach buy into that if it might cost him his future.

Just can't make a decision about the team by a conversation with one player. Seems like Shanahan put his his loyalty to RG3 higher than his loyalty to the team. Don't like that logic at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.