• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Pet Thread

Oh wow, thanks CT & Mike, that's exactly the info I was looking for! Figure on hitting my local pet shop today to see what they have. Appreciate it guys

I would lean towards fewer fish especially early on. That is a very small tank I'd go at least 50 gallon - a month from now you'll wish you had...

And eventually you'll drop a jack Dempsey in there and it will eat all of them. It's like a war with scales floating and bodies everywhere!

For years, I had a pair of Tiger Oscars in a 50 gallon tank...absolutely beautiful

tigerOscar3.jpg

They were amazing. I'd feed them crawdads, mosquitos, even 'pinkies' (baby frozen mice). They are smart fish with a lot of personality, but man do they get big in a hurry.

I had a tire tracc eel I used to feed frozen cubes of blood worms directly from my hand. Eelvis was my buddy until he jumped out and died.

Yea I had a 55 gallon with Red Tiger Oscars one of which was an Albino along with 2 giant J Dempseys, a Red Devil, a Pleco and an Iridescent Shark. The tank was an aquatic nuthouse. I use to love sticking my finger tip in they'd try to come up and munch it.

And yes don't fill the tank up at once. Start small with one grouping of school fish. Then slowly bring in bottom feeders and later an algae eater or two.

And Boone I'd go bigger tank but my sex life would get much smaller, so we're capped at 20. ;)

So how has everyone's pets been doing lately?

In the last 2 weeks we've spaid and neutered our 2-1/2 dogs (2 Bernard's 1 yorkie). Ozzy's big ass head warrants a flower pot as a cone of shame.

IMG_2381.jpg

Oooooo didn't know there was a Pets thread!

We got a dog 3 weeks ago now. She's called Vixen and she's 9 months old and she's cute as a button. :D

And currently asleep on the sofa.

It does mean that war has broken out in the house as the three Cats won't let her near them without hissing and growling.

At least the Cats are now getting on being as they have a common foe now. :)
We had one cat (Magic) who we'd had for years, last year we rescued another two sisters (Lana and Gale) but Magic had always had an issue with them. Lots of hissing and growling.

Now there's a dog in their midst they are now getting on.

Feel sorry for Vixen as she's such a friendly dog and just wants to make friends and play with them, all they do is hiss, spit and swipe at her.

So any advice for helping Cats and Dogs get along?

Knightingale, can't say I know a whole lot about cats. Have you tried introducing each one separately to the dog? Never know, one of them might make friends and that way it'll be 2 on 2 for the next rumble.

Pretty sure BB & SS are cat owners and may have more sound advice. Also, got a pic of them?

OK, so 2 weeks ago we picked up Arlo...

DSC_5520.jpg

Never thought I'd have a hound dog, but he just happened into our lives...what a character.

So, yesterday we brought home, Finn...

BBY_4388.jpg

He is a full breed, Anatolian Shepherd from one of the most acclaimed breeders of this breed in the country. I had a mutt mixed with Anatolian, and she was a great dog. Went back and forth with the size and shedding, but ultimately pulled the trigger on this guy.

Here they are together...

DSC_6214.jpg

The beagle should get to about 30-35 pounds. My uncle breeds them for hunting so they tend to be slightly taller and a little larger than more domesticated beagles.

As for the Anatolian, this litter was one of the biggest the breeder has had in a while. She expects Flinn to be every bit of 150 pounds, standing taller than a mastiff, but about the same weight.

That's an awesome pic! Dare you to look at it and not say 'awwww'. Nice animals.

So had to put my Bernard down in June and my other Bernard has been bummed since. We up and decided to buy a new puppy today. He’s a Mastiff/Rottweiler mix and named him Bocephus.
8223DE66-7622-4BDF-8061-A004C8ED9585.jpeg

Maggie .jpg

This is Lady Margaret Thatcher Smith - aka Maggie, aka she doesn't give one iota of a damn what you want, she does what she wants.

SO - that may be the ugliest dog I've ever laid eyes on....lol

Now I can add Boone to the list of Pug haters....or as I refer to them, those without souls

I’m sure she is sweet as can be :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.