• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Pet Thread

Iams cat foods for Ricky. He will pass on the dog food. :)

Even the cat food is horrible! Google it! My cats aren't allowed near it!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Guess that is one vote against Science. At least you didn't vote against Iams. :)

As I do a drive by to say hi to folks here this is of course one of the first threads I see and of course I have to open my mouth LOL

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NEVER EVER FEED SCIENCE DIET! WORST FOOD EVER!

One thing to note is Vets get paid to sell the junk from Hills and honestly they receive zero to no training on nutrition. Check out

www.dogfoodadvisor.com

As for a harness that is all I use on my 4. I hate collars.

Really? Had never heard that before but looking back I didn't research too much at all. You're right the vet was pimping it pretty hardcore tho. The bags I buy are Science Diet Large Breed for Puppies and his appetite is a little stronger every week.

So what food do you use for your dogs?

Really? Had never heard that before but looking back I didn't research too much at all. You're right the vet was pimping it pretty hardcore tho. The bags I buy are Science Diet Large Breed for Puppies and his appetite is a little stronger every week.

So what food do you use for your dogs?

I feed holistic all natural for all 4 dogs and two cats.

My hounds eat Great Life Grain Free Chicken
My chis eat Ziwi Peak Lamb and Stella & Chewy's Beef
My cats eat Weruva can Chicken and Stella & Chewy's Chicken

Look at www.dogfoodadvisor.com and read the different foods. SD is AWFUL Not sure if you have a Petco or Petsmart near you or what brands you can get but Orijen, Fromm, Acana are all good foods.

Clip from dog food advisor on your food:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/hills-science-diet-puppy-dry/

Hill’s Science Diet Puppy dry dog food is a plant-based kibble using a moderate amount of lamb meal or chicken meal as its main sources of animal protein, thus earning the brand 2.5 stars.

Clip from dog food advisor on my hounds Great Life
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/great-life-grain-free/

Great Life Grain Free is a plant-based dry dog food using an above-average amount of salmon, buffalo or chicken as its main sources of animal protein… thus earning the brand 5 stars.

Sadie is a 15 year old Basset hound in great health
SadieRuns_zpsd548803a.jpg

Gibbs- Will be 10 in Oct
Gibbs2_zps49c876a3.jpg

BG 2 year old chi (photo with Gibbs no fat all muscle on both)
GibbsBG_zps7a0ae693.jpg

Sonny is a 1 year old chi
BGSonny.jpg

Huly is 11 (with some health issues but so much better since holistic)
Hulydoor.jpg

Nala is 18-19
NalaCatnipmyfavorite_zps5e93a28b.jpg

And since we are all Redskin fans my kids get these for game days :)
CookieHounds.jpg

As you can see they are all healthy and not fat. All of mine free feed and still no issues. They are all much healthier since I improved their food 5 years ago. Less Vet visits etc

Huly, we feed our two cats Max Cat, Nutro, Wellness, Avoderm & Merrick. Any problems with any of those foods?

Last edited by a moderator:
Huly, we feed our two cats Max Cat, Nutro, Wellness, Avoderm & Merrick. Any problems with any of those foods?

Do you feed dry or can? One thing with cats is that need can over dry. The reason is most cats refuse to drink water so they need a high moisture food to keep urinary issues away. Also cats need mostly meat in their food.

From looking at the basics Max Cat Dry food would be a NO for me Corn meal and chicken meal. The can is not bad though. The other brands look good.

Sigh. We can probably afford the more organic food now, but the last time we looked it was insanely expensive and we just couldn't do it. We as a family are eating that way more and more, so I suppose the dog deserves it. Such a great companion, I love that thing.

The cat on the other hand...

Do you feed dry or can? One thing with cats is that need can over dry. The reason is most cats refuse to drink water so they need a high moisture food to keep urinary issues away. Also cats need mostly meat in their food.

From looking at the basics Max Cat Dry food would be a NO for me Corn meal and chicken meal. The can is not bad though. The other brands look good.

Thanks! Our kitten drinks water like no cat I've ever seen, which is good. The older cat does not though. We do feed them canned food primarily (only if we're leaving for a couple days will we leave out the feeder with dry), but leave out some dry overnight for the kitten - the dry food is the Wellness brand.

Also, I was reading a site that said not to feed them food with fish in it...seems strange, do you know why?

Fromm and some of the others are reasonably priced. Blue Buffalo Wildreness is another decent price decent food.

Price examples Petco and Petsmart for 25-30lb bag
Iams- $27.99
SD- $35.99
Purina Alpo- $24.99
Blue Buffalo Wildreness-$54.99
Fromm- $38.07
Innova- $52.99

Note the Iams and SD were on sale and you can probably find cheaper local place or online.

Not a lot of difference in Iams SD and Fromm

As for cat food- mercury is in fish too much fish can cause cancer.
As for your old guy add a little water to his can food. I do this with Nala as she is anti water.

Oh, maybe the dry the Blue Buffalo Wilderness...I get confused, lol.

Thank you so much for the dog food stuff.

I'm changing my dog's food. I'm convinced he has an allergy to something that is in IAMS.

What are the signs and symptoms of a food allergy?

The symptoms of an allergy include skin rash, hives, itching, paw biting, obsessive licking and sometimes nausea or vomiting.

Seriously... we just thought our dog was.... special. He will literally lick laps around the room. Recently I've tied the behavior to after eating.

Now I have to figure out how to get him food that doesn't contain the ingredients IAMS does to figure out what his allergy is...

Iams and SD are horrible foods!

What Iams is he eating? Maybe I can help pinpoint the issue. It most likely is grains as dogs bodies were not made to digest that.

I adopted a new family member last week, Henna, pit-lab mix. Big sister for our little man, Monty!

564708_292293680900561_2016187976_n.jpg

Iams and SD are horrible foods!

What Iams is he eating? Maybe I can help pinpoint the issue. It most likely is grains as dogs bodies were not made to digest that.

the Proactive health.
He's a border collie if that matters.

oh man, I've been feeding him it since he was a puppy. I've been saying for weeks he's allergic to the food. if i'm right i'll be happy to have fixed the issue, but also sad that my dog has delt with this for 4 years now... :(

I have honestly learned a lot the hard way. I was a Vet Tech for years and trained traditional medicine and that SD and Iams were awesome etc etc. Since then I have been involved with rescue etc etc

Well my eyes started opening for 2 reasons one the huge pet food scare and pets dying and two my cat Huly. For those that know me on ES Huly is my baby. I have bottle fed him and he has been my boy since 3 weeks old. He has had a rough start in life we had to have an eye removed etc. As a kitten they ran all the blood test and he was negative for everything. By 5 years old he was FVR positive. A vaccine that I was trained would protect my kids gave him the virus. Over the years we were in and out of the vet clinic fighting it (it gives him sinus infections). I started improving his food (pet food scares) and one day my when I asked if this was going to affect his life span as he was getting sick quicker I was told no but you would wish he was dead. Needless to say I have NEVER stepped back into that vet office.

After thinking about what to do and talking to my holistic pet nutritionist (kim at DogGone Natural in Ashburn) it was decided I try a vet that is both holistic and traditional. She can give vitamins for immune support and antibiotics when needed. Perfect best of both worlds. I was skeptical and still at times I will try what she prescribes for one of my kids but in the back of my mind I am going yeah right this will never work (see Sadie foot info below). Huly has improved from getting sick one a month to maybe twice a year. He is on Olive Leaf (stops FVR virus) and Mitake Mushrooms (immune booster cancer fighter) and a healthy diet. I still live with the guilt that I gave him this virus though.
All of my dogs get the Rabies but we do titers to test immunity for Parvo distemper and that result determines if they get a vaccine. Huly no longer receives any vaccine! This is why I research everything now and try to learn as much as possible.

Example of holistic Vet Med- Sadie had a sore/ growth between her toes. (graphic photos coming) It was an infected hair follicle or sore we tried an antibiotic and Epsom salt soak with zero results. My vet decided to try local raw honey and wrap her foot with me to put more honey on and rewrap foot every 3-4 days. The results in 2 weeks her foot was healed with hair between the toes. Honey helps heal, is antibacterial, and helps cells grow. They are using honey on human burn patients too.

Before Honey:
SadieToes.jpg

SadieToes2.jpg

Fist Honey wrap by Vet- Tiger Stripe for her wild side
VetBandage_zps7ba5ff71.jpg

Junk coming off in bandage dead cells infection etc
Junkcomingout_zpsaac32965.jpg

Day 5
Day52_zps0936afbe.jpg

Day5_zps54deaad0.jpg

Day 7
Day72_zps33305492.jpg

Day 10
Day103_zpsefa18ab2.jpg

Day 14
Day103_zpsefa18ab2.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.