• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I like Davis too, BD. And it was a mistake the way Gruden decided to do things last week. I just never thought the risk of someone snatching Davis up was worth the vitriol it generated.

Additionally, I'm not hating on keeping McCoy. As so many seem to be. Though, after setting the 53 to start the season, I would have moved him to IR, making him available down the line, if needs be. I think if they IR'd him to GET to 53, he would be ineligible to come back this year.

I would personally have 3 QB's on my roster. Always. At least 2 active, with a practice squad guy on call.

It's not about Davis. It's about making decisions about the roster based on minor 1 game concerns. It's not about next week's game. It's about having the strongest roster possible throughout the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, but you can't cut a capable special teams player and then use the absence of a player who can play ST a week later as an excuse to leave yourself short at a critical position on offense, namely running back.

The best coaches manage to keep their teams competitive and ride out these bumps without having to play 53 card pickup with their rosters.

Well, the fact of the matter is, Davis is back. And it's doubtful he would have made a difference last week. Unlike AP.

We can see that it was all a "Me Big Chief" moment by Gruden.

The big mistake was benching AP. All the other moves were of significantly less importance.

The whole exercise since cut down day has been a comedy of the absurd.

Gruden is 90% responsible for the lack of planning and consistent mature management.

Guys like Belichick and Reid are never exposed like this.

They actually PLAN for their Week 1 roster so they dont have to scramble 4 days before the game to complete their lineup card.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Redskins are selling tix for Sunday's game vs Dallas for as much as $760/ticket for club level ($190 for cheapest nosebleed seat after fees). Unlike last year, it appears to be a near sellout. Going to be biggest Cowboys invasion in history of stadium that‘s seen its fair share.</p>— Rudy Gersten (@DCBarno) <a href="https://twitter.com/DCBarno/status/1171241573679603713?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 10, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The ghost of George Allen weeps.....

Snyder and Allen are inching closer toArt Modell territory in terms of unpopularity.

Of course it took him announcing he was was moving the team to push Cleveland fans over the edge.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Redskins are selling tix for Sunday's game vs Dallas for as much as $760/ticket for club level ($190 for cheapest nosebleed seat after fees). Unlike last year, it appears to be a near sellout. Going to be biggest Cowboys invasion in history of stadium that‘s seen its fair share.</p>— Rudy Gersten (@DCBarno) <a href="https://twitter.com/DCBarno/status/1171241573679603713?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 10, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The ghost of George Allen weeps.....

It might also be the worse beating the team has ever taken.

The sad thing will be the players and coaches bitching about the lack of fans there to support the team as if the dwindling crowds are some mysterious injustice.

Until I hear mathematically eliminated there`s hope, granted the amount is about the size of a grain of rice but it`s there nonetheless.

The absolute ONLY way I see this season as successful with Jay at the helm is if he relinquishes play calling duties. Right now i`d put more faith in Lt ****ing Dan nailing a 50 yard field goal with 20 mph winds in his face. Between Callahan, Cavanaugh, or O'Connell there`s plenty of others to fill that void.

Odds are Jay will be Jay and we`ll be looking at mutiny by midseason. Curious what you guys would want as far as heading into next season. Basically do we fire Bruce and promote Kyle Smith or whomever and give him carte blanche? Or would hiring a completely new GM come in and start from scratch put us on a better path?

Last edited:
Until I hear mathematically eliminated there`s hope, granted the amount is about the size of a grain of rice but it`s there nonetheless.

The absolute ONLY way I see this season as successful with Jay at the helm is if he relinquishes play calling duties. Right now i`d put more faith in Lt ****ing Dan nailing a 50 yard field goal with 20 mph winds in his face. Between Callahan, Cavanaugh, or O'Connell there`s plenty of others to fill that void.

Odds are Jay will be Jay and we`ll be looking at mutiny by midseason. Curious what you guys would want as far as heading into next season. Basically do we fire Bruce and promote Kyle Smith or whomever and give him carte blanche? Or would hiring a completely new GM come in and start from scratch put us on a better path?

I would want a completely new GM, but I don't think that's going to happen. If (when) Gruden goes, I think we still have Allen picking his successor.

I cannot effing believe that a week after a brutal loss, with all of the drama swirling around the Redskins, I'm going to have to watch

Shawn.
****ing.
Hochuli.

referee the Cowboys game. I just cannot believe this. We're going to be lucky to get 2 plays off in a row without a penalty.

Win...don't know the candidates. I would like to keep the next Sean McVeay if he is on staff. As for GM......ready for someone accomplished.

Here's the problem. The Redskins ownership and front office have managed to establish such a horrific reputation that there literally is no 'proven GM' who is going to come here. None. I believe that literally the only chance in hell we will ever have of finding a franchise-changing GM talent will be to luck into one in-house. I don't know if there's anyone that fits that bill in the org. Doug Williams? Eric Schaffer? Alex Santos? Kyle Smith? Some suggest Louis Riddick might be interested, but what is there in his background that suggests he's a transformational leader? Nice guy. Smart. But he was an executive for this team for 7 seasons, some of them among the worst we've ever had. How does that qualify him?

Ditto for head coaches. Fans use some pretty simplistic logic. McVay was a Redskins coach. McVay was young. McVay is now a highly successful head coach. Kevin O'Connell is a Redskins coach. He's young. Therefore, he's going to be Sean McVay. I'm not sure the thought process is much deeper than that. Could he be the next wunderkind? I guess it's possible. But he's a former player who has never been a head coach AT ANY LEVEL. The truth is, he's been a QB coach only his entire NFL coaching career who was only elevated to 'Offensive Coordinator' this year (but isn't trusted to design the offensive gameplan or call the plays, calling into question what exactly he is 'coordinating'). His big claim to fame was 2018, the first season he had input into the actual offensive schemes and playcalling. That happened to be the season we had the most anemic offense in years.

Could he be 'the next McVay'? Sure. It's also possible the Redskins will humiliate the Cowboys this weekend. But I wouldn't want to go betting the house on the likelihood.

I have no answers. It may literally be true that the only way we will ever find a great GM and/or head coach and have sustained success again is to literally stumble, bumble, or luck into a great one just out of sheer accident.

All good points guys, it`s unfortunate this damn team makes us contemplate such things but inevitable it would seem. I honestly do see our drafting as MUCH better the last 2-3 years and would like that to continue. Getting rid of Bruce and promoting whoever ran these drafts would work for me honestly.

Coaching on the other hand needs major changes. Jay is a turd and needs to go run offense for John. Callahan would also be let go if it was up to me, way too many penalties and missed assignments by vets like Scherff and Moses.Cavanaugh too if only because he cannot persuade Jay's dumbass to activate AP and run more than 15 times a game.

Manusky is a turd. Tomsula would honestly get serious consideration for HC, at minimum DC. The rest get the same as Cavanaugh for not smacking Manusky out of his bend then break defense. Shitcanning the 3-4 would be at the top of tbe list too.

Boone's right though in hardly anyone would want to gm or coach here under the current structure. Now if Schaffer was president and Smith was GM then the coaching list "may" get more attractive.

It's not about Davis. It's about making decisions about the roster based on minor 1 game concerns. It's not about next week's game. It's about having the strongest roster possible throughout the season.

This is correct and as far as I know Gruden doesn't have control over the 53 man roster. Just the game day roster and you can only have 46 players active. Last Tuesday he was asked if Josh had shown enough to be on the 53 man roster and his answer was I am not sure. He may have wanted to keep him to try to trade him, there was talk of that.

The penalties, missed assignments and inability to bounce back from adversity all point to poor coaching.

DJAX indicated the second touchdown was all Doug Pederson.

From film last year the Eagles saw the trouble the Redskins DBs had in communicating on certain plays where the CB/S had to pass off receivers and pick up new coverages and Philly targeted this.

It only goes to show our DC hasn't addressed the same issues that bit us in the ass in 2018.

The 2nd DJax touchdown wasn't because they failed to pass him off from CB to safety. The CB on that side of the field abandoned his zone on the deep 3rd of that field. It was a cover 3 and 2/3 of the deep field was covered by the near corner and the safety. The corner on the far side where Jackson was lined up did not run deep with Jackson leaving him wide open. The safety ran over to that side when he saw the blown coverage and the ball going to the wide open receiver. That TD was 100% on the CB on that side of the field. The coaches can be blamed for calling a defense that guy couldn't play or not coaching him to play his responsibilities. But on that play, it really fell to one guy who didn't do his job.

Wasn't that Moreland that blew that coverage?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.