• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I love the toughness I'm seeing from this team.

I had no idea how badly Jordan Reed is still hurt, what he went through this summer, and what he's still going through today:

Doctors visit Reed's house daily. One, Daniel Karp, performs dry-needling on Reed's toes and has him do toe exercises. Because Reed couldn't walk for seven weeks in the offseason, he said he's still building strength. So Karp goes to work. Other doctors come over to perform various tasks.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/37670

Trent Williams is another. He was supposedly ruled out this weekend, but he's practicing today.

So he only needs to reach the totals in your first post, as an aggregate sum of the 3 games, as opposed to totaling them in just one game ?

Total in one, but he has three tries to do it. I don't want to make this TOO easy. :)

And let's make this fun. Instead of me just rubbing it in, let's do a Roast Henry thread, and get everyone involved. The more, the merrier.

I think that's a fantastic idea. Bring it!

Samaje Perine sustained a calf injury trying to live his life.

Byron Marshall on deck to return.

Perhaps he can be a back that can run and catch for us.

I agree with what Troy Aikman said during the Eagles/Saints game, namely that he expected Washington to compete over these next 6 games very well with McCoy at quarterback.

For some reason Alex Smith came in and lost all of the confidence in his playmaking abilities that he showed in 2017 in KC.

He was back to being the tentative qb who took the sack or would take the 3-4 yard run rather than stand in and throw a ball into tight spots.

In that regard he looked a bit like Eli Manning.

Unfortunately, if you watch many other NFL games today, successful quarterbacks are REGULARLY throwing the ball into tight windows to produce chunk plays.

There really aren't that many receivers that consistently get the kind of uncontested separation that allows for a 'safe' throw down the field.

I don't know what to expect from Smith as a returning 35 year old after a severe leg injury, but I wonder if he is going to be even more conservative.

In the meantime, though, McCoy seems to have some of the energy and combative competitiveness that Smith seemed to lack.

He also was starting to look for and connecting with the offense's biggest weapon, Jordan Reed today against Houston.

We haven't seen much of that in 2018.

McCoy is accurate but has a limited arm. Over time defenses scheme for that.

But Alex Smith had schemed HIMSELF out of being able to see plays down the field, so that is an element that has been missing since Week 1 for the most part.

I, for one, have not been sold on Alex Smith, and in all honesty, he has proven to be a downgrade of what we had. Colt knows the system well and should be competent as starter, but it will be interesting to not only see who Jay brings in to try-out, but who we eventually sign. With all the charities the Redskins seem to support, I'd be a little surprised if we don't sign Kaepernick!

Well, of all the QB's rumored to be coming in, EJ Manuel is the only name that gives me any sort of excitement. My only concern would be his ability to learn the offense quickly. He was a very solid Qb for Buffalo, and even in Minnesota before he got hurt. He just never seemed to command those offenses which I assume were simpler.

Krappernick is getting paid for speaking engagements, he doesn't want to play football anymore.

Well, of all the QB's rumored to be coming in, EJ Manuel is the only name that gives me any sort of excitement. My only concern would be his ability to learn the offense quickly.

For that reason, I think Jay mentioned they were focusing on QB's who had a background with either McConnell or Cavanaugh.
But I think the pickings are already slim right now, as far as quality. If you add that additional "familiarity qualifier", it may narrow it down too much.

I think the Smith injury is going to make it imperative that the Redskins look for a quarterback in the draft, and not one in Round 7 to hold for extra points if he makes the roster.

Smith is essentially on a three year contract given the guaranteed money, so that's 2 more years at $23M a year whether he is productive or not.

In that time we can take a young qb in 2019 and hopefully have a guy that can start in 2020 and then release Smith.

Of course it is no guarantee that Smith is going to be able to come back and be a starter in the NFL. We will have to see.

I think the Smith injury is going to make it imperative that the Redskins look for a quarterback in the draft, and not one in Round 7 to hold for extra points if he makes the roster.

Smith is essentially on a three year contract given the guaranteed money, so that's 2 more years at $23M a year whether he is productive or not.

In that time we can take a young qb in 2019 and hopefully have a guy that can start in 2020 and then release Smith.

Of course it is no guarantee that Smith is going to be able to come back and be a starter in the NFL. We will have to see.

Problem is, there is slim pickin's at the QB position coming out of college, so teams will be drafting QB's higher than they should, which means a 2nd or 3rd round QB is likely not going to be there for us. And I just don't like the idea of drafting any of the young QB's coming out this year in the 1st round.

Can we just bite the bullet and intentionally lose every game next year so we can draft Tua Tagovoila. Of course I'm kidding, but I'd love to have that kid at the helm for 12-15 years.

So @Henry lost the bet.
But who among us really wants to celebrate a bet, after a loss.
I won't forget though. I'll just save your "payment" for after we beat Dallas. ;)

A deal's a deal. Whenever works for you. :)

I don't follow college football at all so I don't know who's good or what, but we have to draft a QB now. That's the price you pay for screwing around with the QB spot for years.

It really is mind-boggling how badly we've screwed up the most important position on the team. I almost laugh every time I think about it.

I don't follow college football at all so I don't know who's good or what, but we have to draft a QB now. That's the price you pay for screwing around with the QB spot for years.

It really is mind-boggling how badly we've screwed up the most important position on the team. I almost laugh every time I think about it.

The 2019 incoming draft choices at the QB position will be slim. Teams will be over reaching so we need to be very calculated about it.

Edit: After looking over some of the names, if a player like Will Grier can be had in the 3rd round, that would work. I'm still concerned that teams will be over reaching. After the kid from Oregon, there seems to be a big drop off in talent.

Last edited:
Drafting young QBs is never a bad idea. But I don't think Smith's broken leg changes anything in terms of the Redskins short-term plans. He'll be back ready to move into the starter's role next season. It's a broken leg. I don't know why Theismann decided to retire when he did, but typically this is an injury that heals and shouldn't be career threatening.

I don't really see how it changes next season and beyond. Whatever the plan is tentatively in place to find a long-term successor, I doubt we deviate from it. I personally don't see how Smith's broken leg is a rationale for feeling like we have to draft a youngster in a draft that is supposedly quite weak at that position. If it were a torn labrum, or a fracture throwing shoulder, or even an ACL - maybe I could see it. But it's a broken leg and it will heal. I don't see Alex Smith ending his career on that kind of a note.

Sounds like Mark Sanchez is about to be our backup. Probably the smart choice of those available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.