• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

The report that snyder wont stop shanahan from sitting griffin.

Otherwise no, just more nonsense to add onto the preexisting nonsense.

The Special Teams under Keith Burns may be the worst in Redskins' history.

Football outsiders does a detailed study of special teams. Every year since 1989 they've rated the special teams of every team.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst

This is their methodology:

This page lists an estimate of how many points, compared to league average, each team receives from the five elements of special teams: field goals/extra points, kickoffs, kick returns, punts, punt returns. The total is then converted into a DVOA percentage so that it can be added in to offense and defense to create total team DVOA.

Throughout the years the worst DVOA in the league falls somewhere between -5% and -7%. Sometimes it's gone as low as -9%. Only twice since 1989 has it been even lower than that:

In 2000, the Buffalo Bills' special teams were at -15.5%
In 2013, the Washington Redskins' special teams are at -14.3%

Our special teams aren't just bad. They are historically bad. As in top five worst ever in the history of the game kinda bad.

So this is where we are. A coach trying to get fired from a team he doesn't want to work for. An owner trying to avoid firing the coach he doesn't want. A quarterback, in just his second year of professional football, staring the possibility of a confidence-shattering, development-retarding, fan-alienating, three-game benching in the face. And everything is being played out in the media through anonymous sniping and backstabbing. Forget Robert Griffin's on-field struggles: This is how you run an unsuccessful football team.

RGIII Is A Pawn In The Dan Snyder-Mike Shanahan Standoff

More leaks today too I see.

I wonder if all of this really isn't good for business. The team has become like a wreck on the side of the road that everyone slows down to watch. It's the same reason that at least some of the population watches NASCAR--to see the wrecks.

I'm not sure that winning is even the main desire in the minds of some fans anymore. It's the reality tv show element that keeps people watching. We're the official Honey Boo Boo of the NFL.

Neither Tampa nor Buffalo do well on the field. They're boring. No one wants to watch boring, and they have a hard time selling tickets. That's not the case here.

Can't remember if it was here or somewhere else I saw mention of Lovie Smith as a candidate. I'm leaning toward wanting a solid D again rather than someone like the Baylor dude.

Weeks ago, an observer with connections in the Washington Redskins’ locker room described the heart murmur plaguing the club in the following way: “Ask yourself this: If Mike Shanahan wants to bench Robert Griffin III, can he?” The fact that there was even a doubt suggested the illness. Shanahan is now calling the question publicly, and he’s right to do so, because if he can’t bench Griffin, then he’s not really the head coach, and in fact no one will ever be Griffin’s coach, they’ll just be his concierges.

I asked that question at the start of the season, and pointed that out. :\

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...1af434-61d4-11e3-94ad-004fefa61ee6_story.html

I'm calling bullshit on the Snyder was behind the scenes with Griffin and this is what caused the massive across the board collapse of the team.The team hasn't been anything resembling a success story since coach Mike took over outside of last season. All off season Coach Mike was being second guessed by the fan's and the media in the way he used Robert Griffin and how he should have known better yada yada. I think it twisted Shanny up and he's been out of his depth handling the injury transition for Griffin.I think he's in a no win situation expectations are high but what if Griffin gets hurt again? That doesn't explain why our O Line played so poorly in every single game. In fact this years team never had more than 2 good quarters in any game played this season. Defense? Special teams? all the same story....it's a hot topic every statement will be over analyzed. Bottom line coaches are in place to keep this from happening.Where was Coach Mike?

I read an interesting article earlier about the Redskins Park Circus. The writer made an interesting point about Bruce Allen. He stated he was supposed to be the new sheriff and be the go between with the team and Snyder. Where is he in all this? Why hasn't he done something to diffuse the situation and keep it in house? Allen is not the clueless dummy that Vinny was.

In all the years that I have followed this team....this has to be one of the lowest points.

I read an interesting article earlier about the Redskins Park Circus. The writer made an interesting point about Bruce Allen. He stated he was supposed to be the new sheriff and be the go between with the team and Snyder. Where is he in all this? Why hasn't he done something to diffuse the situation and keep it in house? Allen is not the clueless dummy that Vinny was.

In all the years that I have followed this team....this has to be one of the lowest points.

For all we know he might be. Things might be significantly better now than they would have been if he wasn't here. Given Snyder's track record there's no telling what he would do in response to being instigated by Shanahan.

All things being equal, one would prefer the owner of a professional football team not be openly chummy with or preferentially treat the star quarterback. But the notion that such a relationship would be the root cause of the colossal trainwreck that has become of the Mike Shanahan era, with its utter failure of a defense, the historical incompetence of its special teams, its utter lack of on-field professionalism across the board, and a salary cap penalty that badly damaged its ability to shore up key undermanned positions, is nauseatingly myopic.

Just a what if thought but say this whole circus is kind of an "act". Something like Dan realized Shan and company just weren't cutting it and pretty much told him it isn't gonna work from here on out. Maybe Dan let this chummy with the qb roll out of respect for Shan (at least his past) & lord knows Dan is used to criticism.

Just a thought cause this whole thing seems far fetched with a coach getting pissed about his qb talking to the owner. I think Shan lost the team and Dan is possibly taking heat for the hire in his own way.

Or maybe I just need some meds cause this team drove me crazy?

I think I may have found my new sig.

Staying Medium: Snyder, Shanahan, and finally reaching the point of despair

Uncharacteristically, this current situation has not provoked me to spend any time thinking about who the next coach should be, or which positions should be drafted or signed to fix this roster, or what the odds are of Robert Griffin III getting his career back on track. I find myself not caring. I have been obsessed with this team since I was old enough to know they exist. I have never not cared before. It is a disconcerting feeling.

The hiring of a coach before a true GM and personnel man will result in the same mediocrity we have seen since Norv was fired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.