• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm with Boone on this one. While I'm not the biggest Jay Gruden fan in the world, this season has been a horror show in ways no coach can be held responsible for. If we are going to make a mistake here I'd rather the mistake be one of patience than one of moving on too quickly. To back this up, if Jay wants Kirk then the FO needs to figure out how to keep Kirk. I won't go so far as the $30 Mill a year Boone mentioned above but anything close to "reasonable" needs to be considered if Jay says he is the guy.

Having said that, I hope an internal review of the injury situation is going on. While I know injuries are part of the game and sometimes bad luck is just that, I can't help but think there might be something deeper. I wonder if teams are going to easy in practice? I wonder if off season conditioning programs might be too intense? While it is easy to just write off these injuries to bigger, stronger, faster athletes colliding with ever more violence I feel like perhaps the ark on the graph is swinging climbing too fast for that to be the only explanation.

3000 quality posts too - nary an 'In before the close...', 'I'd hit it...', or 'FTW...' among them.

We are lucky to have you here Brother Win. :cheers:

There's having a í ½í²© ton of injuries, then there's just getting a team out there that is so not ready to play, it looks like you've trotted our the Annandale Boys Club Raiders. I'd give Norval II the benefit of the doubt has we not seen this from him a few times even with healthy rosters.

Nick

There's having a � ���� ton of injuries, then there's just getting a team out there that is so not ready to play, it looks like you've trotted our the Annandale Boys Club Raiders. I'd give Norval II the benefit of the doubt has we not seen this from him a few times even with healthy rosters.

Nick

You don't see those things as linked? I don't see how you talk about one without the other? Btw - Chris Carter is out for the year. Another Redskin to IR. Now the replacements for our IR guys are going to IR.

You don't see those things as linked? I don't see how you talk about one without the other? Btw - Chris Carter is out for the year. Another Redskin to IR. Now the replacements for our IR guys are going to IR.

I see a difference between a lack of talent and a lack of fire. This team lacked fire even at times when the talent was there, like late last season. It just doesn't look at all like these guys are ready to go out there, regardless the talent level. The RUMINT of soft practices and Swearinger's words talking about lack of preparation don't help.

I see a difference between a lack of talent and a lack of fire. This team lacked fire even at times when the talent was there, like late last season.

Honest question though - how do you distinguish between the two? How do you read/assess attitude vs. performance on the field which is heavily reliant on talent? I think the two can look an awful lot alike. If the Redskins had lost by a FG at the last minute - would that have meant they 'played with fire'? When you don't protect the QB, don't open up holes for the RB, give up big passing plays - how do we assess whether it's having players out there who are physically outmatched, vs. players who don't care?

I really don't know the answer to that question.

Jay Gruden said he thought about going for a two-point conversion after Bashaud Breeland's interception return for a touchdown made it 30-12. They could have cut it to a two-score game with 2:36 remaining. But Gruden said they were down to one running back, three receivers and left tackle Trent Williams was done. Gruden said he didn't want to risk further injuries by trying to extend the game. "I wanted to get out of the game, get back on the plane and get ready for Arizona," he said.
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40012439-4

Good or Bad?

Honest question though - how do you distinguish between the two? How do you read/assess attitude vs. performance on the field which is heavily reliant on talent? I think the two can look an awful lot alike.

Well, first of all, you have one of your starting Safeties saying they've been unprepared in every way for the last two games. Lackadaisical practices, no real physical routine and guys getting too many chances. It shows on the field when you see guys play with no intensity, who don't get upset and who look like they're going around half-speed. The team does lack talent in skill places, but they have plenty of defensive talent misused. Everything on this Defense would better served running and actual 4-3.

Last game of last season, all they had to do was come out with their full complement and beat the Giants... with nothing to play for... and came our flat and emotionless. Two games before that against Carolina with the same roster, they did the same.

I mostly discount players spouting off. That's just frustration. On the rest, your answer to my question 'How can you tell if players are playing with intensity/fire?' was 'they look like they have no intensity or fire'. I'm not arguing they didn't look that way. But I also think when you've got a bunch of backups (and in some cases glorified PS players) out there, it's not going to look very intense :)

And then you've got Josh Norman out there. Anyone doubt his 'intensity'? And he still played like shit. Why? Poor preparation? He's been a starter for years and is one of the best athletes on the planet - does he really need a lot of preparation?

Not beating on you or anyone else. But my experience is, when things go south, 'the problem' is suddenly obvious to everyone. In reality, I think it's a lot more complicated than that. And for me, it starts with just not having enough talent out there to match our opponents currently.

It's a crying shame I paid for the NFL ticket I didn't watch the game and I don't even know the outcome as I have zero interest in this product right now. I'll read up now and see how it went.

Another thing no one's been talking about?

The potential of this McCloughan grievance hearing to totally embarrass the team and put the Front Office into total chaos/meltdown.

3000 quality posts too - nary an 'In before the close...', 'I'd hit it...', or 'FTW...' among them.

We are lucky to have you here Brother Win. :cheers:

Lol, not sure about quality but do appreciate it. You guys put a helluva site together and all of us appreciate the hell out of this place.

Bad as hell. When the team senses that you're just wanting to run and hide after an ass whoopin why should they try for the coach.

The one thing that really seems to have been missing during the Jay years is accountability. I'd give him one more yr as HC, under conditions of course. 10 wins or you're out, let him figure out the “how”.

Gruden deserves the heat he is getting right now. But those calling for him to be fired so that we can blow it all up and start over again from top to bottom for the gazillionth time - I think that would be the absolute worst possible decision. We knew this was going to be a transition year. I don't know where all the idiot fans here are that you claim said we were going to the Super Bowl this year Elephant? I don't know anyone here who wasn't, in their heart, nervous about losing our top 2 WRs, about our questionable running game, losing McVay as primary signal caller, etc... Add in major injuries to starter after starter after starter, ending up with one of the toughest schedules in the league (just by sheer effing luck) and none of us should really expect more than a .500 team this year.

I don't like it when you do this, I NEVER said anything about a Super Bowl or fans expecting us to win one, but there was a shit ton of fans suggesting we'd win the division...many on this board expected better than 8-8.

And you keep suggesting it'd be a colossal failure to fire Gruden, and I think you are wrong. You do not keep a mediocre coach for the sake of continuity when he has exhibited his inability to stop making the same stupid mistakes, repeatedly. He is not that good, and there are at least 5 coordinators in the league I'd rather have...Matt Patricia being one of them. He comes from a winning organization, and is a very good defensive mind. Couple him with a young, hungry OC and this team is disciplined and competitive again. Gruden does not have a well disciplined team. And I am not talking about drill instructor discipline, I'm talking about not making stupid mistakes disciplined. Hell, I'd rather have Jim Schwartz at the HC position than Gruden...look at what he's done with that Fecals defense.

Sometimes, the best thing a franchise can do is knuckle down and ignore the noise. Ignore the media. Ignore the fans. Circle the wagons. Quiet down the internal chirping, fingerpointing, and strife. Get your team focused back on the task at hand. And resist the urge to panic. All we've seen from our owner and 'GM' for 20+ years is panic, an inability to commit to long term coaches, and pandering to the fans. If they follow my advice, I think we will continue to improve and better days will come. If we don't, it's back to the circus for all of us. If you guys think we are going to find a better coach than Gruden coming off him being summarily fired, with all the drama that will ensue, and with where we are as an org right now - I'm sorry, but you are just flat out kidding yourself.

What respect do you think this organization gets as it is? You think firing Gruden is going to change anything? Come on man, this team is stuck in a rut, and the current leadership is not going to get them out...I think everybody in the league knows Dan Snyder is a terrible leader. Allen, Gruden and the entire coaching staff should go. Bring in a young coordinator, give him a 5 years contract, and if at 80% through the contract you can see things will never be better than a single playoff appearance in 4 year, regressing after 2...fire them too!

I don't think things are as bad as they are being painted. It's brutal to lose 2 straight games you had to have, in the fashion we lost them. It's a lost season plain and simple. Pointing to players spouting off - I hate it - but I don't think it 'means' anything other than that they are frustrated and venting. Pointing to Gruden saying he didn't have the team ready to play - that doesn't equate to he and the other coaches not caring, not trying, and just mailing it in. He's taking the pressure and blame and heaping on himself so that others don't have to endure it. He's saying 'It's on me'. And it is. That doesn't mean he is not a good coach and that the past 2 games represent his entire worth. We need to stick with Gruden and continue grinding. It's going to get better.

Lipstick/pig argument. Gruden's an average head coach at best, no amount of lipstick your dress him with is going to change it...get rid of him at season ends.

Sign Kirk - maybe not 'at all costs' - but if it takes $30 mill/year for 5 years, do it.
Make it clear Gruden's not going anywhere.
Make it clear that tryouts at every position are currently underway and that those who show they will continue to fight and who can concentrate and perform will be Redskins in 2018.
We need to commit to signing the best offensive weapons available at RB/WR/TE with our first 3 picks.
We need to find the best ST coach out there (mine the college ranks if necessary) and hire him.
We need guys who need offseason surgeries to have them now.

Those would be keys if it were up to me.

Except for the coaching staff, I think this is all legit. Gruden must go...we've seen the best we'll ever see from him. The hiring of Joe Barry is where it all started.

Fair enough - I understand I exaggerated your points. I'll make a deal with you - I'll refrain from it if you'll work on not coming in at the end of every season like you were Nostradamus and all the other fans are homers and fools :)

Deal?

Fair enough - I understand I exaggerated your points. I'll make a deal with you - I'll refrain from it if you'll work on not coming in at the end of every season like you were Nostradamus and all the other fans are homers and fools :)

Deal?

But it happens every year....just check the pre-season predictions thread started every year. ;)

Bad as hell. When the team senses that you're just wanting to run and hide after an ass whoopin why should they try for the coach.

The one thing that really seems to have been missing during the Jay years is accountability. I'd give him one more yr as HC, under conditions of course. 10 wins or you're out, let him figure out the “how”.
Yeah, when the guy in charge would rather quit than fight on = he's a quitter/loser. Plain and simple.

He makes it real, real hard to support giving him 1 more year. But I'll stick with it, for now, for the sake of future hires.
Oh, and if we don't make the playoffs next year, he's gone. I don't care if he has to sign guys from a local homeless shelter.
That'll be 5yrs of losing. And that's enough.
Sad part is, I expect him to fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.