• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I'm not saying it's beyond the realm of possibility. But let's be honest - JLC has an ax to grind and he's been wrong more often than he's been right. He's a lot like the current liberal media types who want to believe Donald Trump is Satan so badly, they'd report just about any rumor floating around out there as if it were fact.

Let's say Snyder was doing the full court press... what we don't know, and what would be a critical factor, is whether or not Gruden himself wanted Bowles and the owner was simply doing everything in his power to make it happen. That's sort of a key fact, and one JLC apparently assumes the worst on.

And the most dubious *suggestion* (which is, at best, someone's personal opinion) is that Snyder would've given him the head coaching reins if Bowles had wanted them. First of all, Bowles has been an epic failure of a head coach to date. Secondly, if Snyder wanted Gruden gone, he'd have been gone long long ago. That suggestion makes zero sense. And it calls into serious question the other information this 'insider' supposedly provided. I doubt JLC has any real insider contacts anymore. He's probably reporting what another media person told him here. Or the parking lot attendant at Redskins Park :)

Back in my day, if Dan opened up his purse, a man stayed bought, damnit! If J-Load actually is right (ha, ha, funny), I'm sure Danny Boy still can't understand how his dollars have lost cachet.

Smith was doing just fine until the injury. I can't help but think that he would have steadily improved as his familiarity with the scheme grew. Ball control, and limiting mistakes was a good formula, as Boone said, as his comfort level grew.

It's amazing how differently people can see things. I am not quite sure how you can contend Smith was getting better, when he actually regressed. The Tampa game was a prime example. We had 3 FG's against a poor Tampa defense because Smith was unable to get the ball into the hands of the receivers. But he didn't throw an interception! The following week, he'd throw 2 TD's against the Texans, looking absolutely terrible before he got injured.

Those were his last 2 games...the same we'd seen most of the season, just enough to win against a bad defense, followed by a terrible game the following week.

That's what JLC wants to believe... that NO amount of money is enough for a coach to come to DC now because Snyder and Allen are satanic twins. Not sure that's the case. If I were him, the TB gig would've been far more attractive. First there's the location, location, location. Secondly, he's almost guaranteed a multi-year gig with a brand new head coach. What does DC offer (setting aside ownership and the GM issues)? Cold. Traffic. And dead-man-walking at HC.

Not a tough decision.

It's amazing how differently people can see things. I am not quite sure how you can contend Smith was getting better, when he actually regressed. The Tampa game was a prime example. We had 3 FG's against a poor Tampa defense because Smith was unable to get the ball into the hands of the receivers. But he didn't throw an interception! The following week, he'd throw 2 TD's against the Texans, looking absolutely terrible before he got injured.

Those were his last 2 games...the same we'd seen most of the season, just enough to win against a bad defense, followed by a terrible game the following week.

I'll let Ax respond since you were addressing him. I don't think anyone can argue that the passing game was a struggle. How much of that was Alex, and how much of it was the receiving corps and/or playcalling, I'm not really sure - probably a combination of all of the above. But my point would be that ugly or not, the formula (run first, keep the opposing offense off the field, rely on above average defense) was working more often than not. None of us can say whether or not it would've continued to work sufficiently enough for us to win the NFC East - but it's possible. I understand the mocking of the lack of turnovers - that's certainly not the absolute measure of offensive efficiency. But its importance shouldn't be underestimated, since we've seen that 400 yds of passing a game, losing the TOP game, and giving up the ball in key moments is also not a recipe for success.

One thing that caught my attention is the statements of numerous players who seem to feel that the loss of Smith was the key moment when they lost control of the season. I've seen multiple players point to that loss as the #1 factor in the team's lack of success down the stretch. Maybe it's just an excuse. Or maybe Smith was a bigger part of that winning record than we understand.

Well first, I'll pick a nit. I said he "was doing fine", and that "I can't help but think" he would bet better.
Significantly different statements.

But I do believe he was doing fine. Because we were winning. Not pretty, but who cares? Win first, then worry more about fine tuning it.

I also think we may have had different expectations coming in. I liked the move. Still do. And unless, or until Smith is done here, I hope for nothing more than his success. Which would then help the team's success.

And finally, what QB ever had a season in which, at one stretch or another, he had a couple/few subpar games before again finding his stride? It's convenient to make your argument, but it doesn't reflect any real pattern out of the ebb and flow of any QB's season. Does it?

Was just imagining if BruDan held a town hall type Q & A with a fan delegation. How long would it last before chairs started getting thrown and a mob forming to burn Bruce for being a witch?

At least Alex Smith added an ‘adult in the (locker)room' mentality and stability to the team at the most important position, one that garnered the respect of his teammates. Vastly different aura than the drama filled, selfish, and passive-aggressive style of his most recent predecessors.

I'm not saying it's beyond the realm of possibility. But let's be honest - JLC has an ax to grind and he's been wrong more often than he's been right. He's a lot like the current liberal media types who want to believe Donald Trump is Satan so badly, they'd report just about any rumor floating around out there as if it were fact.

Let's say Snyder was doing the full court press... what we don't know, and what would be a critical factor, is whether or not Gruden himself wanted Bowles and the owner was simply doing everything in his power to make it happen. That's sort of a key fact, and one JLC apparently assumes the worst on.

And the most dubious *suggestion* (which is, at best, someone's personal opinion) is that Snyder would've given him the head coaching reins if Bowles had wanted them. First of all, Bowles has been an epic failure of a head coach to date. Secondly, if Snyder wanted Gruden gone, he'd have been gone long long ago. That suggestion makes zero sense. And it calls into serious question the other information this 'insider' supposedly provided. I doubt JLC has any real insider contacts anymore. He's probably reporting what another media person told him here. Or the parking lot attendant at Redskins Park :)

This is why I despise so many in the media. There is so much opinion and speculation in there that is passed off as fact. He's going into hypotheticals to try and explain why this hypothetical situation is so bad. Like you said, Gruden could have been in on those meetings. Or Gruden could have said "yes, see if he's interested and if so, make a move". Unless someone who was in the meetings says "this is what happened", it's all speculation. But let's write an article where we say if this happened, then this is really bad.

One thing I try to do is not get worked up about speculation and rumor. Yeah, it makes me mad when I read this stuff. But not because I think it's true or he's wrong. It's the fact that there is very little fact to follow up on here. Nothing to really act on. Not that my actions would make a difference. But when actual news happens, I'll get mad, worked up, happy, excited, depressed, etc. Otherwise, who care. These media people just want clicks. Most of them through out as much craps as they can to see what sticks. Then they say "see I was right this one time. Please ignore the 27 other things I said that were wrong".

But I do believe he was doing fine. Because we were winning. Not pretty, but who cares? Win first, then worry more about fine tuning it.

I just knew/felt it was not a formula for long term success. Turns out I was correct, again! ;)

I also think we may have had different expectations coming in. I liked the move. Still do. And unless, or until Smith is done here, I hope for nothing more than his success. Which would then help the team's success.
I will admit, I have the luxury of retrospect in regards to his progression in the season, but if you look back through my posts, I was not opposed to Smith coming in here. I simply over estimated his abilities since he was coming off his career year. A red flag should have been flown when Andy Reid trades us a vet QB, but it wasn't. I thought Smith could do as well as cousins.

And finally, what QB ever had a season in which, at one stretch or another, he had a couple/few subpar games before again finding his stride? It's convenient to make your argument, but it doesn't reflect any real pattern out of the ebb and flow of any QB's season. Does it?

Problem is, he went a half season never finding his stride. The one game he threw for over 300 yards, he threw 2 interceptions.

I just knew/felt it was not a formula for long term success. Turns out I was correct, again! ;)
Well, if the world had ended when he broke his leg, then you would have been correct. Final chapter hasn't been written yet. You may yet be right, but you may yet be wrong, too.
I will admit, I have the luxury of retrospect in regards to his progression in the season, but if you look back through my posts, I was not opposed to Smith coming in here. I simply over estimated his abilities since he was coming off his career year. A red flag should have been flown when Andy Reid trades us a vet QB, but it wasn't. I thought Smith could do as well as cousins.
He was being what he had been over the course of his career. So, you didn't underestimate his abilities. You underestimated the patience required to let him evolve in the system, the team, and his new teammates. Sure, it would be great if it clicked from jump street. But it didn't. Far from fatal.
And, that's an imaginative description of a red flag. It was a smart trade for both teams.

Problem is, he went a half season never finding his stride. The one game he threw for over 300 yards, he threw 2 interceptions.
Well, to pick another nit, he was indeed "finding" his stride. He just hadn't gotten both hands on it yet. :)

He was being what he had been over the course of his career. So, you didn't underestimate his abilities. You underestimated the patience required to let him evolve in the system, the team, and his new teammates. Sure, it would be great if it clicked from jump street. But it didn't. Far from fatal.

Umm...this season was nothing like we'd seen from Alex Smith just a year prior...and most of his time in KC. He was averaging less that 210 yards and 1 TD per game. He only had one season close to that in KC out of 5.

After watching the 4 teams in the two conference championship games, Bruce Allen's statement that the Redskins are 'close' doesn't pass the laugh test.

Remember when before 2018 the team was touting the Redskins had a winning record before the injuries started in 2017.

OK, 9-7 and 8-7-1 in 2015 and 2016. With the notation the 2016 team couldn't win a home game against a Giants team resting starters for the playoffs at the end of the season.

That's just barely above .500. Mediocrity after such a long period of absolute futility begins to look to some like progress.

The injury to Smith is indeed likely to make 2019 a difficult one for the Redskins to be a competitive team. But let's not kid ourselves.

Smith was never going to take this team to a Super Bowl. At least not unless we were able to acquire this decade's version of the 1985 Bears defense with the complement of Walter Payton in the backfield and a killer special teams with Willie Gault returning punts and kicks for TDs.

The Redskins missed the boat in not investing any real resources in the qb position the three years Cousins was the starter here so we had no real options if Kirk left, got injured, etc.

When the team brings up Colt McCoy I laugh because the minute Kirk Cousins was set to become a free agent the Redskins had already engaged Reid to trade for Alex Smith.

McCoy wasn't given ten seconds of consideration for 2018 and if the Redskins do go with him in 2019 it will only be because of the Smith injury and his hit against the cap, not because anyone is convinced he is a bona fide NFL starter.

Quarterback is an example of how this team does things back asswards.

2017 was the year to invest in a quarterback for the future in the draft.

But the Redskins decided to trade for Smith before really even contemplating drafting and developing a passer because there was such a rush to ensure the club weathered Cousins' departure and wasn't embarrassed by going 3-13 or 4-12 while Cousins went 12-4 with the Vikings and took them to a Super Bowl. THAT was Bruce Allen's worst fear :)

So, in the Year of the Quarterback in 2017 the Redskins passed.

Now, in 2018 in a draft with fewer blue chip prospects the Redskins find themselves almost having to take a younger quarterback.

That's an example of how a losing team operates - it is forced to make moves rather than anticipating and making moves because it is time to secure good value in a pick or in a trade.

This team always seems unprepared for whatever adversity hits it, no matter how much visibility there was in hindsight. It was all but assured Cousins was going to leave after the 2017 season going back 8-10 months earlier. But Allen kept coming out and saying they still had time and the team stood pat with McCoy as the only other qb on the roster.

No wonder there is no winning tradition. We have had 20 quarterbacks in 20 years and probably 12-15 kickers.

Poor play at the qb position and missed FGs over the years have really compounded the pain felt watching this team.

Hopefully at some point the team is simply going to do its homework, keep its picks, and develop a quarterback and a team around him.

Snyder and Co. have been too impatient to do that for much of the past 20 years. There always had to be a sure fire solution that could make up for lost time with one throw of the dice.

Unfortunately for him those throws have almost always come up snake eyes.

Last edited:
Why doesn't Bruce just say that Manusky was in the meetings for those that were interviewing for lesser jobs??
Saying that he was in the meetings for those interviewing for his job, sounds ridiculously phucking stupid.

Oh and Bruce said we were 1 game out of the playoffs last year(2017 season)? Was he drunk?
And wtf was that press conference in the alley all about? That was our team President?
That is the only time we see him speak this year??

NO WONDER WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE LEAGUE.

Allen was full of toothy optimism about Smith, though a day earlier Smith appeared at a Washington Wizards game wearing that medieval-looking brace and thick bandages on his badly broken leg. “He is moving around and well on his way to a recovery,” Allen said brightly

Asked if Smith is expected to undergo additional surgery, Allen looked the truth firmly in the eye and said, “I'm not a doctor. That's one thing I will declare right here.”

Quotes are from a WP article.

Whatever Bruce says, you know the exact opposite is true.

It was like Vinny saying that Chris Samuels just needed to “get over” some discomfort so he could play again, or whatever that foolishness was. Alex is done. I feel for him, but he's finished. I don't even think he's entirely out of the woods just yet, as far as surgeries go. Let's hope this ends for Brucie the same way it did for Kindergarten Ninja.

As Sally Jenkins indicated in the WP today (and I usually don't like Jenkins) - Bruce Allen is still with the Redskins because he serves a purpose - he deflects attention from Snyder and while there is a #FireBruceAllen there is not currently a #SnyderSellRedskins movement.

If Snyder were to fire Allen a few weeks ago then he would have been front and center in re ALL of the subsequent changes. There would have been no middle man to take the heat in case things backfired.

I agree that in the end Snyder, unlike Jerry Jones, is a coward.

He isn't willing to stand up and be counted for what he has done and answer to his customers.

Corporate CEOs regularly have to do this to their stockholders and boards, so I don't think that is unreasonable to expect.

Especially when these NFL owners are increasingly asking US to help finance their new stadiums.

Gone are the days when NFL franchises are strictly private organizations operating out of the public view.

Cooke may have financed FEDEX, but the trend is toward the Lerners' receiving $600M to build a new ballpark in the District.

My guess is Snyder will also ask for public financing for his next project to bring the new stadium in closer to town.

FEDEX Field may as well be in Death Valley or the Atacama Desert.

As Sally Jenkins indicated in the WP today (and I usually don't like Jenkins) - Bruce Allen is still with the Redskins because he serves a purpose - he deflects attention from Snyder and while there is a #FireBruceAllen there is not currently a #SnyderSellRedskins movement.
This is so disingenuous, though. We all know Dan Snyder is not going to give up the Redskins, he'll groom his kids to maintain control of the team after he's gone. Most of us on this site will never see another owner, unless there is a tragedy. And I won't wish that upon the man.

However, if the campaign to fire Allen continues, and Snyder ends up firing him...there may be a resurgence of fans who are about to, or have already walked away.

Sally Jenkins is a total hack.

I'm not going to give her a shred of credit. She doesn't have an original thought in her head. And she's not above making up the facts if she can't find any existent ones that meet her liking.

That doesn't make anything she's currently saying inaccurate. But she's one of the worst sports 'journalists' out there - because she is incapable of writing a fair story that's not chockful of agenda and half-truths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.