• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Well, there's Bruce Allen, and every other GM out there. Belichick? Schneider? Jones? .... Morons!

So...

Pick 13 rolls around, and in a shocking development, both Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen have yet to be picked.

What do you do? :)

Trade back if available, if not pick the best stud d-lineman or let time run out and look like an idiot

Boone, I really dislike JLC.
C'mon now - what could anyone possibly have against a guy who looks like the nerds from Superbad punked him for his lunch money. Daily.

I guess it's possible though that Norman wants to win a SB and believes our secondary would be a mess without Fuller and Breeland.
He better hold out for a team that utilizes his strengths and tries to minimize his weaknesses. I have always believed we paid too much for a scheme corner who is only comfortable playing one half of the field. The money we threw at him, dude needed to be an all over the place shut-down corner a la Revis Island in his prime. And Mr. Norman ls not that guy,

I've run out of steam. Hopefully the team can excite me again. Please? Sometime in my post adolescent lifetime would be nice.

Most definitely anti-Cousins. Hope he's tagged. Don't care if it cripples the Skins' cap. Let him ride the pine for a year. Eff him. Fake ass bama. I can suffer another losing year as a fan. That would be an idiotic move by Dan and Co. I would approve of. Yeah...I can be spiteful like that.

Alex Smith you say? He's probably a tiny upgrade over Cousins; alas, he is also not exciting to fans (this fan at least). We know who he is and he is what he is. No more upside. Just average to above average QB play (maybe eat these words someday? Please?). I think he's a good QB in the league, but damn...just not exciting. At least that one season with RG3 was off the hook until injuries, drama, etc., etc., etc. I miss GIbbs part deux. Didn't like his Brunnell love, but damn, they were mostly competitive back then. Made the playoffs 50%. Gregg Williams had the defense swarming. Damn.

The Redskins are stuck in mediocre-land. That territory between 7-9 and 9-7 where clubs don't want to make any major shakeups but it seems as if the usual offseason adds and subtracts bring us back to that same range in terms of potential wins/losses.

IMO there are two ways this team can break the paradigm. One is to blow it up and trade players for picks and rebuild with a new core, one that has perhaps more leaders on the field than the current team, where leaders seem few and far between when they get into a funk.

Too many times this club has followed up a solid win with a game where they just don't appear to show up ready to play the next week. While some of that can be laid at the feet of Gruden, MOST of it is the fault of the players holding themselves accountable.

There is no Ray Lewis in the locker room here. It sometimes seems this club takes losses too easily.

The other way for the Redskins to break out of the 7-9 to 9-7 rut is to have a monster draft and free agent class in 2018.

A lot of great teams start off with one year you can go back to when they seemed to make ALL the right moves in the draft and free agency, finding players up and down the board that came in and contributed right away.

The Redskins had that kind of offseason in 1981 that set the club up for 10 years of excellence.

The 49ers had that great draft class where they built their secondary for the 1980's with 3 of their first 5 picks starting with Ronnie Lott.

With the Redskins too often in the recent past the draft and free agency have included almost a 50/50 split of wins and losses in terms of finding contributors and that isn't going to cut it in terms of making that jump.

In the 2016 draft the Redskins took Josh Doctson and Su'a Cravens with their top 2 picks. Neither player has made a significant impact on the club, for different reasons of course but the bottom line is we are not getting top production out of these picks.

In 2017 we took Jonathan Allen who came in and was an immediate contributor but our #2 pick, Ryan Anderson, came in and failed to make any impact at linebacker. Indeed he seems not to have a position in the Redskins 3-4 defense. He looks like a strong-side linebacker in a 4-3 alignment.

In 2015 we went 50/50 again at the top of the draft order. Scherff has developed into a pro bowler. Second round pick Preston Smith is a player who has flashed great ability but has never been able to show the kind of consistency you would like to see in a high selection. In Round 3 the Redskins took Matt Jones who was a complete bust. I think he is now out of the league. In Round 4 we took Jamison Crowder, who has developed into a capable slot receiver but failed to jump up in 2017 with the issues at WR to think he is going to become a #1 or a strong #2 . With our second pick in Round 4 we took Arie Kouandjio who was here for 3 years as a backup, left the Redskins and then was reclaimed off the Ravens practice squad during the season. He was valuable because he knew the offensive system and he had his moments on the field, but I doubt with an opening at LG and needed depth that Kouandjio is a good bet to be on the team again in 2018.

So, once again, we have a 3/2 or a 2/3 draft with the first picks in terms of guys that make it, or even better come in and make an early impact.

What would be nice to see in 2018 is a draft class that puts 4-5 guys on the team who can come in and make a visible impact either as starters or as top backups.

We have enough holes at RB, WR, OG, TE, DL, ILB, and now CB where rookies that come in with real ability and a good football IQ for making the transition to the NFL could make that kind of impact IF the right selections are made.

We shall see.

IMO there are two ways this team can break the paradigm. One is to blow it up and trade players for picks and rebuild with a new core, one that has perhaps more leaders on the field than the current team, where leaders seem few and far between when they get into a funk.
This is the worse choice of your two. Though I ultimately think the odds are in favor of it happening, due to having zero faith in Gruden leading the team back to consistent relevance. But unless/until that day comes, it doesn't make sense to blow it up half assed. If there's another "blowup", it has to take out everyone from Allen on down. Snyder isn't going anywhere voluntarily. So people need to put that out of their minds, permanently.

The other way for the Redskins to break out of the 7-9 to 9-7 rut is to have a monster draft and free agent class in 2018.
This is the desired route. And for all we know, it's already in progress.

On the FA front, I believe we've upgraded the most important position on the field, with the "soon to be officially acquired" Alex Smith. A seasoned, successful Captain at the wheel could (key word is, could) instantly get better production out of our receiving core. He throws with much better anticipation than Cousins. And I think he does better at hitting guys, in stride, allowing them to get bigger gains. Once he's up to speed in this offense, and that might take half the season to really "get it", then the sky's the limit.

Signing more of our own FA's has started with Dunbar, and Foster. Need to lock up Zach Brown, if possible, without being reckless. And personally, I'd like to do the same with Breeland. Not sure who all will be available from around the league, but a vet WR would be nice. Even one a little long in the tooth would be preferable. One to move the chains, and walk the pups. I'd like to see a veteran, block first TE if there's one available. And any upgrade at the "up the middle" positions on defense. Dline, ILB, and S.

As to the "monster draft", well sure, we'd ALL like to have one of those. But they are very, very rare. Beathard had 1 here.
One.
Yeah he had another very good one. The rest were mostly average. With some real stinkers in there too. But only one "monster".

So, yeah, we need to get lucky again.
All I want is the next Butz, Grimm, Monk, McClinton, Coleman, Houston, and Larry Brown.
Is that too much to ask?

Be nice to get a 3rd rounder back from somewhere. For me, it'd be unloading Reed before a dust mite falls on him and shatters half the bones in his body.
He's hell when he's well. But he's so often not. Whatever we can get for him. Maybe more, maybe less.
Maybe from whatever team signs Cousins.
I think the Browns and Jets have enough to overpay Cousins, AND sign one of his favorite targets too.

Very nice post Bulldog. I think the dilemma is, if you can't trust the scouts and FO to hit the majority of time with top, mid, and late round picks, you certainly shouldn't trust them to rebuild in a 'blow it up' scenario where it's even more critical that you can make good player choices.

No one wants to hear it - but I still think it's true. A lot of the basis of success in the NFL is luck in the draft. We have had terrible luck in the draft. It's been rare that our top draft picks truly turn out to be impact players. We've actually had our best luck in the middle rounds where we've been able to find some talent that actually panned out. We seem to use our late round picks on guys that either were projected to be UDFAs and probably could have been had without expending a draft pick. Big misses in the first 3 rounds have plagued us. I believe luck plays a huge role - because when you see our latest big misses (and yeah, until proven otherwise, I'm calling Doctson a blown pick) are made by a guy in McCloughan who is supposed to be one of the best talent evaluators alive, I think that indicates that even the best evaluators struggle to find the right guys.

Someone mentioned it yesterday on twitter that Ryan Anderson should be moved to ILB and I emphatically agreed. Last year I had him listed as a third round possibility for the Skins - as an ILB. I believe he could do well there and would help to set up the OLBs effectively.

If Manusky keeps him on the edge, it is a waste of his natural talents and it is like trying to put a round peg into a square hole. I still believe he would've been there in the third round, but it is not too late to take advantage of moving him to the right position.

Not Redskins related but thought this was interesting.....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Nobody likes being fined any amount of money but considering the Cowboys were the only team I played for to payroll deduct for lunch & my helmet I'm guessing Jerry Jones will be especially angry. í ¾í´'</p>— Ross Tucker (@RossTuckerNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/RossTuckerNFL/status/968243669936562177?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 26, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Payroll deductions for lunch and helmet...didn't think Jerry was that tight....

Mike Brown at one time charged players for laundered towels and sodas at training camp.

What a guy!

No wonder he has so many trophies in the case 😆😆🤣😆😆

Hello BGO ... been a while. What have I missed?

Does Biggs have anything left in the tank? Are Harraway's knees sound? Are we set at backup with Flick or do we need to grab a QB prospect in the draft (maybe a 10th rounder)? Did the team finally spring for Mul-Key's custom fro-friendly helmet?

Help a brother out.

Eagles trade for Michael Bennett and Giants trade for LB Ogletree.

Bennett is one of the leading Kneel-con-poops. Couldn't dislike him anymore than I already do.

Bennett is a rental for the Eagles at 32 but a good one on the field.

How do you like the Eagles FO?

Kelly traded almost all the recognizable players away 3 years ago but in that short time since the club has gone from out house to White House.

What Roseman has done in relatively short time is one reason I don't ease off on the Redskins organization.

We have been dancing around between 9-7 and 7-9 the past three years and need to start showing some major investments paying off on the field to get out of that rut.

Bennett is one of the leading Kneel-con-poops. Couldn't dislike him anymore than I already do.

He's a perfect fit in the Eagles' locker room, which is full of SJW's and virtue signalers, second only to his now-former team. One lying Bennett brother got cut today, the other got traded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.