• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Way too early to grade Sweat (who I believe is still recovering from preseason injury).

I agree Ramsey's attitude is concerning. I'm basing my tepid support for the idea on possibly talking them into taking malcontents and under performers off our hands, not picks. Probably won't happen. I also think we forget what having a real #1 level corner can do for a defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything I've read says the Jags starting cost is two #1's. And, they've all said whatever team is trading for him will need to redo his contract as part of the deal.
The Jags don't need Pothead Crybaby to protect a 3rd string QB. And it's highly doubtful they would trade a young malcontent for and older malcontent.
Norman's contract all but eliminates him as trade bait.

BTW, grading Sweat at this point seems, Cerrato like.

The Jags are ASKING for two picks.

The Texans started off asking for a #1 for Clowney but they didn't get that did they?

Ramsey has the kind of talent on the outside we were supposed to be getting in Josh Norman.

Heh. Read that sentence again. :)

Do you REALLY want to make the exact same mistake we JUST made?

You don't. Build. A defense. Around. A cornerback.

New England was willing to go all in on Gilmore. Before that they won with Revis and Aqib Talib.

Seriously, can we stop with New England did this and New England did that? New England has the best coach/QB combination ... probably in the history of football. They could start a 33 year-old WR at cornerback for half a season and win a superbowl. Oh wait, they DID do that. Sign Pierre Garcon! Put him in the backfield!

We need to just stop. New England is not, and never will be a model upon which we or any other team in the league can model themselves. They have a uniquely spectacular winning formula that is not going to be emulated by picking little bits and pieces of their decision-making process and applying them to the Washington Dan Snyder/Jon Gruden ****show. This really applies across the board, actually. The Redskins are not going to find success thinking "Pittsburgh did THIS move and Gibbs did THAT move." They are going to find success from the top down, just like every other successful franchise in the league.

Ramsey. That guy isn't the answer. He's a cornerback that is going to cost even more than the aforementioned Josh Norman, who we've just established we seriously overpaid for. I suppose he could push us over the top from 5 wins to 7. That would be something. Or we can lay in the bed we've made and figure out what to do when it's all over. I'd rather do that. Even if New England doesn't.

Well we have paid Josh Norman $15M a year for the past 3 years.

If you are OK with that then I guess you believe teams can win under the cap no getting value for the dollar.

In looking back over the Patriots, Eagles and Seattle Super Bowl teams you just don't see many of these types of long running mistakes.

If you don't perform you are gone and is especially true for guys with a visible cap profile.

Look at all the money we are paying Morgan Moses. Most penalized tackle in the NFL in 2018 and headed down that path in 2019.

In truth he has been regressing since being a value performer in 2015 and 2016.

Meanwhile we pay Donald Penn $5M to come in off the street at age 36 and he is outplaying Moses.

You just don't see much of that in NE, KC or Philly.

But I forgot.

We have our own way of doing things here.

If we trade Trent and release Norman we will have the money for Ramsey's extension.

And right now Trent is contributing nothing.....

Not exactly true, his contribution to our misery is only rivaled by Jay's coaching

If this coaching staff had taken over the Ravens personnel over the summer, I am sure Baltimore would not be a strong 2-0 with Lamar Jackson having seemed to progress as much as he has.

Jay is a guy that seems destined to be 8-8 or thereabouts if everything goes his way and 5-11 if things go the other way.

Meanwhile, for guys like Reid, Perderson and others around the league 8-8 or 9-7 is a failed opportunity rather than a good showing.

If this coaching staff had taken over the Ravens personnel over the summer, I am sure Baltimore would not be a strong 2-0 with Lamar Jackson having seemed to progress as much as he has.

Jay is a guy that seems destined to be 8-8 or thereabouts if everything goes his way and 5-11 if things go the other way.

Meanwhile, for guys like Reid, Perderson and others around the league 8-8 or 9-7 is a failed opportunity rather than a good showing.

Agreed. So why in tarnation would you advocate a move like bringing in a Ramsey. Hear he's looking for $50mil guaranteed.

How much did the Patriots pay Stephon Gilmore?

How much vis a vis their peers did Patrick Peterson and Revis get?

The Jets paid how much last offseason for Trumaine Johnson, who isn't even in the same league as Ramsey on the field?

I am not saying we give up TWO #1 picks and then give Ramsey anything he wants.

But at the same time you have to understand how much money given 2015 to 2019 dollars we shelled out to Josh Norman and how much a 35 year old Alex Smith got from Washington last year when he still had a season left on his original deal.

Pick a freakin position BD.

We either have to sign this guy, provided the deal meets YOUR standards.
Or, with this coaching staff, it won't matter. You can't have it both ways.

Here's a fun fact, for different reasons we have 4 players that are not suited up at the moment who are costing us $45M in cap space this season. The front office HAS to do a better job with contracts toward injury prone players and malcontents.

Smith $20m
Reed $9.6m
Williams $13m
Colt $3m

But if you personalize the Williams situation you are hurting the team going forward.

Trent is not a 26 year old franchise quarterback we have to keep at all costs.

And if we believe he is now a team hater it's best to be rid of him rather than have him end up coming back just for the paycheck.

I remember Chandler Jones telling Belichick after the SB that he deserved to be paid J.J. Watt money.

Anything less would be disrespecting him.

Belichick traded him to the Cardinals for a #1 pick and Arizona paid him the big dollars to be on a team finishing 4-12 and 6-10.

Even though he helped win a SB the Patriots left him in the rear view mirror.

BTW - Ramsey is a fiery player and may require some actual coaching.

But I prefer that to a guy like Norman that has collected his money and is very relaxed because he really doesn't give a damn.

Jonathon cooper and a second the patriots have been hitting on defensive players like crazy so it makes sense to trade him. it was the guy that Bill traded to the browns that wanted JJ watt money. Chandler after the trade accused the patriots of never paying their top talent.

Here's a fun fact, for different reasons we have 4 players that are not suited up at the moment who are costing us $45M in cap space this season. The front office HAS to do a better job with contracts toward injury prone players and malcontents.

Smith $20m
Reed $9.6m
Williams $13m
Colt $3m

I'm not sure we can put Smith in the injury prone or malcontent category. At least I don't remember him having injury issues prior to that freak break last year.

Jamie Collins was the LB I was thinking of.

Agree with those that recognize it takes the Redskins twice as long to move on from players as many other teams.

Aside from playing chicken with Kirk Cousins and Trent Williams for extended periods, the Redskins have carried Jordan Reed for 3 years, allowed Shawn Lauvao to pick up a paycheck long after he was rated one of the worst LGs in the NFL, and have moved forward yet again with Josh Norman as their lead CB at age 31.

That doesn't include the retention of Colt McCoy since 2014 despite the fact he has limited physical skills to play the position and has gotten hurt whenever he has been asked to go in and play.

Is there going to be a serious review of Morgan Moses' performances in 2018 and 2019 as his level of play has fallen off and his penalties lead the league.

The Redskins have some talent on offense but not enough to overcome 4 holding penalties each week from Moses and his buddy Scherff.

Where is Callahan the teacher?

He should be all over Moses for his technique deficiencies.

I'm not sure we can put Smith in the injury prone or malcontent category. At least I don't remember him having injury issues prior to that freak break last year.

I agree on Smith, shitty luck with him. However moving forward he doesn't need to worsen that leg either. Seems like a helluva qb coach for Haskins and Keenum...who's got a decent start to the season despite our 0-2 record

Character doesn't even matter at a certain level. You can't have the majority of your top money earners (that represent your ‘core' talent) consistently sidelined and expect to be successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And besides those sidelined the Redskins are counting on high priced under-performers like Josh Norman and the devolving Morgan Moses.

I don't care who you are - that right there is funny :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.