• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Kinda like our special teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pottsie just ran one back on us.

Tonight's officials are sponsored by Lens Crafters..........

According to the gamebook, the official paid attendance was 1. Even though it was a pre-season game, does it mean that it was 1 too many?

If that is the best the Redskins can do, maybe 1 is about right!

Granted I was watching sporadically in my phone and only caught part of the game but what I saw, starters looked pretty good.

Not sure what others saw :)

So this is what I am going to do...I'm signing off. I will not sign back onto BGO until the end of the season so I can come back in here again, and tell you all...I told you so!!! AGAIN.
I gotta tell you, the thought of not having you around until February makes me sad. But, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying, if you want the "end of the season" to mean, the pre-season, or the regular season, we'll leave the light on for you.

Come on, El. You know when we are down by 20 points to the Eagles early in the second quarter, we are all going to need your cheerleader pics in the game chat to cheer us up.
Of course, when we're up by 20 points to the Eagles late in the 4th quarter, we still need the cheerleader pics to make us even cheerier!

I don't hear anyone predicting playoffs or Super Bowl - not anyone. But there are some things to be excited about.
Oh, I have indeed predicted playoffs. And, once there, ANYTHING can happen.

So if he doesn't watch any games this season,how will he know if he's right? wrong?

:movefast:
He will lurk here. If for no other reason than to discover which scantily clad outfit I will be wearing for each weeks Game Chat.

El loves me. He can't do without me. And quite frankly, what's not to love? :twitch:

Granted I was watching sporadically in my phone and only caught part of the game but what I saw, starters looked pretty good.

Not sure what others saw :)

I stayed up late to watch it bleary eyed!

Here's my observations...

OFFICIATING

AWFUL! So bad. Glaringly bad. Bad.

DEFENSE

This will be our identity I think.

Our Starting D looks GOOD! Granted this was one preseason game, and they only played a stretch through Q1 moving into Q2, but they looked solid. When they start playing into form with regular season reps, I think this is going to be as good as advertised. There were a few silly penalties, but they looked hyped to play and ready to really press their will. Hope this is what we see during the season.

On the other hand, once the starters went out, we didn't look great on D. Obviously during the regular season we'll see our starters in more, with reserves rotating in with them instead of fielding a complete B Team.

As for the players: Norman was unfairly penalised. Sweat is FAST! Payne and Allen look better than ever. Nicholson is back. Moreland makes the roster. Stroman showed pretty well too. Apke is awful. I'm a little worried about our Middle Linebackers... not great.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Awful.

I'm not too concerned because Tress was the usual standout, Hopkins is usually money, and I know we were playing a million different ST lineups. And I feel like late in the game on that Punt Return, the Skins had taken their foot off the gas a little to get out of the game healthy.
But still... seemed to me like there were a lot of long returns from the Bengals.
Talking of long returns, Williams (did I get that right?) looked really good... until he got injured.

OFFENSE

The O-Line I thought looked better than last week, but still shaky. Scherff is great though... That contact penalty her pulled early in the game was awesome to see.
Keenum continues to be competent but doesn't excite me. I just sat through the 1Q thinking... "That's great Case, but when can I see Haskins?"
AP still has it, but that O-Line does our RB's no favours. That said Perine looks... ordinary at best. Marshall too. I really want to see Guice!

The hardest bit about gauging our Offense is that there are so many pieces still missing. Did Reed play? I saw Thompson once. No Richardson, No McLaurin. Did Doctson play at all?
I want to see what this team can do with all it's pieces in place.
The only WR's making waves at the moment are Davis and Harmon. A this point I'd be happy cutting Quick and Doctson and going with our rookies.

Haskins... showed A LOT better than last week I thought. Mistakes were cut down considerably, no Ints and that fumble could have been called either way.
And that 55yard Touchdown pass was a thing of beauty. On the money to Davis, with pressure coming and a man wrapping him up. He just shifted a little in the pocket and let rip.
I think my grin at that point was mirrored by Gruden's, the kid just looks like he could be something special - especially with his humble attitude and his work ethic. He seems the complete opposite of RGIII.
The thing I'm most impressed about is his pocket presence actually.
He still has things to learn, and when he misses he sails the ball a bit high. But I love his quick release, that ball has some zip on it.

Despite it being a loss overall, I was really just viewing the first half where our the bulk of our starters played as a rough barometer for the season, and I'm actually optimistic about the season. I'm not saying we're Superbowl bound, or maybe even playoff bound, but certainly don't think we're a 3-13 team.

Okay fwiw espn box score stated the skins went for it on 4th and 12 and got a penalty for offensive pass interference. Then, it stated skins challenged it and play was reversed so 1st and 10 on cincy 3. THEN, it shows a punt into the endzone by Tress. Not sure wtf is going on but espn's play by play guy is definitely off his meds.

Watching the game, there was a lot of captioning that was wrong. Like when the Bengals had a 1st and goal at our 5, the onscreen captioning was listing it as a 3rd and 2. Lots like that. Seems like everyone needs to work through the pre-season, from the players to the TV companies. LOL

Just a little comment on Brother El's post.

The reason I love BGO is that we're a passionate little corner of the internet who loves to intelligently (well you guys anyway, I defer the intelligence!) talk about what they see on the field every snap, every game, every year.
The fact is that we have had something like 25 years of futility to show for our fandom. At this point the safe bet is to put money on us having another really bad or middling season. I can't disagree. I think all who are here realise that this is probably another year where we will finish with a middling record.

Groundhog day it maybe.

Using the film as an analogy though, eventually Bill Murray breaks the cycle and escapes the loop.

For me, part of the joy of being a fan is that in any given year, I believe that anything can happen. I may be a hopeless optimist, but if I thought otherwise I might as well hang up my Redskins cap and shred my Redskins Fanclub membership card (I don't actually have a card! Just to clarify!). But I don't because I still believe that 'on any given Sunday' anything can happen. We COULD play lights out D, Haskins could end up starting and rounding into form as a great QB and we could go on an epic run. We've seen it before in 2012. Granted that's an outlier, but it happened once, it could happen again.

For the record I am expecting a season that's not as bad as many pundits predict, but not as many wins as I would wish for. I think we'll be middle of the field. But my expectations are different this year for the team.
In the Kirk Cousins years there was an expectation for us to be playoff bound.
Last year, even though we struggled with Alex we were still sitting pretty for a playoff run before we were gutted by injury. The minute we lost both Alex and Colt, my expectation dropped.
This year I'm not expecting Playoffs (even if Gruden is!), I'm just expecting to see growth from the youth movement. And reading between the lines in the preseason games, I think I'm already seeing it.

Again, maybe I'm an eternal optimist, but that's just me. :)

I HAVE to be optimistic, because I need the team to turn around and be awesome for 2021. Because that's my 50th birthday year and I've been saving up to take a trip out there to watch the Skins play at HOME! Probably the only time I'll ever do it, but it's on my bucket list so they NEED to be good! LOL

If El's truly going to avoid BGO till the seasons over, I'll miss his posts. The banter between Boone, El, Ax, Win, CH etc etc makes my day to read it, because you guys are all more knowledgeable about Football than I'll ever be. I have watched Football since I was a kid, but I think it's different to be immersed in it as part of the culture over there, to being an avid fan in the UK.

Last year at the end of the season I said I would not watch another Redskins' until Gruden and/or Allen were gone. I almost broke that proclamation tonight, but I saw your posts and was reminded how very similar it all sounds.

So this is what I am going to do...I'm signing off. I will not sign back onto BGO until the end of the season so I can come back in here again, and tell you all...I told you so!!! AGAIN.

El, if you need to take some time off I can totally respect that. In case anyone hasn't noticed I do it all the time. :)

I will just say this. I think very few people here, at this point, are particularly optimistic about the team. I'm pretty sure there are some people here who are making a concerted effort to be optimistic to drive discussion, and that's not a bad thing.

It's something I try and keep in mind when bashing Boone about the head and neck for being too upbeat. :D

Last edited:
As far as the game goes ... uh. Well, the defensive line looked good. Haskens has a nice arm.

That's about it for the good stuff.

The refs are absolutely terrible. The review system for PI calls is pointless and stupid. The NFL continues to add rules seemingly for the sole purpose of screwing them up.

We have some legitimate younger players at WR.

I can't believe we are not showcasing Doctson for a trade.

I don't understand holding back rookies and guys that still need to prove themselves during the preseason.

Good lord, watching the "highlights" of that game on youtube, from the NFL themselves, they even play half of it as referee calls. That's just pathetic.

I see a lotta 21-13/23-10 victories for our opponents early on with the better offenses cleaning our clocks. We suffer a lack of depth generally...and specifically on the o-line. The starting o-line? Meh.

Haskins? Gonna be a keeper but it's gonna take time. Watched Daniel Jones for the first time tonight - doesn't have Haskins raw arm strength. But he is, at this point, a much more polished passer. His ball placement/consistency far exceeds Haskins' at this point.

May just be me....but it still seems like teams pass at will on us.

I know what El is seeing and find it hard to disagree. Yes, it is way early and Jay doesn't give a hoot about preseason - or apparently a synchonized/integrated first team offense or defense on opening day.

Most disturbing to me? How bad our second tier players look compared to other teams' from a purely athletic pov. The Chiefs wiped the floor with the Bengals last week. We play the Bengals to a draw. We have some front line talent...though no real game changing stars IMO. And our coaching staff? Meh. The good ones left and are coaching other teams.

8-8 would be an unqualified successful season. It's no wonder Williams wants out. He's running out of time to actually compete for a championship. And that aint happenin here any time soon. Aint that right BruDan?!!!!

We were basically 8-8 with one of the most anemic offenses in the NFL last year. We essentially had no passing game. With better receiving options this year and likely less conservative playcalling, I think the offense may surprise once whomever is under center gets acclimated.

And our defense - I think our DL could be dominant, LBs improved, and that's all going to make our secondary better.

I understand the mantra...that we are always hopeful before the games actually start (that seems logical, not dysfunctional to me) only to find we've been living in a fools paradise.

But this team is talented. Anything can happen.

The opposite-sounding takes fansince and Boone have are, to me, equally plausible and defensible positions.

I can't simply dismiss the past [insert painful number here] years of false hopes and derailed campaigns. At some point institutional inertia becomes a tangible thing. And until they break the cycle, it's not unreasonable to approach any season with skepticism.

But I also can't dismiss the reality that this team was 6-2 and finding an identity last year before it lost its QB (and a preposterous number of other starters and key contributors). Nor can I ignore that, while not elite at a lot of positions, the overall talent level is better than it has been in recent memory. Particularly up front on defense, where we have been substandard for a generation.

Here's what I do know ... preseason will not tell us a single thing about how this team will fare over the course of a 16 game season. Never has, never will. I'm watching for hints when the starters are actually on the field about whether they look engaged ... organized ... but that's about it. Anything after the first couple of possessions is a scrimmage and a player evaluation tool for the coaches.

Personally I'll start forming judgments after about 3-4 games, regardless of record.

Good points all around. For me, understandining that wins/losses don't mean much in preseason, I look for the teams that are simply athletically superior. We all know the key strength on this team is the d-line. Is there enough? In my memory, offensive performance last season was taling off before the injuries and the defense was ripped by good teams.

I am just looking for preseason play that demonstrates flat out athletic/physical superiority. And I have not seen much consistency in that area.

We'll have a better idea after the Atlanta game.

I agree that with Guice still limited and draft pick Bryce Love on PUP the Redskins need depth at RB to start the season.

But from what I have seen Perine and Marshall are not the answer.

We may need to sign a player that ends up in final cuts from another team to be the #3 tailback.

Perine has been here for three years and has never been able to establish himself as a guy who can be productive consistently at this level.

He lacks the speed and elusiveness to make the first guy miss.

Marshall like Colt McCoy can't stay healthy for more than 2 or 3 games.

Time to move on from these guys, we have seen this movie before.

I think Guice will be 100% on opening day. Agree that Perine and Marshall aren't the answers.
I send them packing, and give Reynolds and Wilson the spots.
Wilson, to be the punt returner as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.