• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Don Shula won a championship with the Colts, and then won two with the Dolphins.

Random note. Don Shula came to my childhood home and I shook his hand. My mom was secretary in the UK athletic department back in the day and knew multiple future NFL coaches including Bill Arnsparger, Blanton Collier, and others ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Reid got there and lost with Philly and is playing tomorrow for a realistic shot to go back.

The last 20 years are impossible to follow trends because of the dominance of the Pats. They literally went 10 years without playing on wildcard weekend. They beat some really REALLY good teams that likely could have given a better data point.

Most SB winning coaches dont coach another team after they leave because they dont leave til theyre done. Shanny didnt win here because he came to a bad organization.. and he likely shifted his focus from winning, to setting up Kyle. Gibbs came back to that same bad organization.

Of the 'current' SB winning HC how many are there?

Jon Gruden-Year 2 of a project
Tomlin-Still in Pitt
Billick-on tv
Cowher-on tv
Kubiak-asst coach in Minnesota
Pederson-still in philly
Dungy-on tv
Coughlin-out of football after exec role
Carrol-still with Sea

Am i missing any? Gruden and Shanny are the only 2 there that had a HC gig after they won a SB

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mike McCarthy, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells. They all got another HC gig after winning.

Watching the conference championships today is always bittersweet.

On one hand, playoff football is awesome.

On the other hand, it just amplifies just how far away the Redskins are from this level.

Damn......

Mike McCarthy, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells. They all got another HC gig after winning.

And how many won? Mcarthy is the pnly active one. Parcells had mixed results but is there any real measurable success?

And how many won? Mcarthy is the pnly active one. Parcells had mixed results but is there any real measurable success?

Parcells had mixed results? Twice he was a hair away from being the only coach to ever lead 3 teams to a Superbowl. I wouldn't call that mixed results. And he took all 4 teams he coached to the playoffs, and won the division with 3 of them. He also took all of them other than Dallas to at least the conference championship.

Watching the conference championships today is always bittersweet.

On one hand, playoff football is awesome.

On the other hand, it just amplifies just how far away the Redskins are from this level.

Damn......

But the culture here is amazing :cheer2:

Don Shula won a championship with the Colts, and then won two with the Dolphins.

He won the 1968 NFL Championship game, but that would be considered a Conference Championship today.

Parcells had mixed results? Twice he was a hair away from being the only coach to ever lead 3 teams to a Superbowl. I wouldn't call that mixed results. And he took all 4 teams he coached to the playoffs, and won the division with 3 of them. He also took all of them other than Dallas to at least the conference championship.

The question posed was how many super bowl winning coaches led a 2nd team to SB victory. Parcells didnt win it again after he won it in New York... he is one of the few to have measure success ill agree there, but regarding the original discussion, he had mixed results regarding post superbowl victory.

If you guys are watching this defense of the 49ers destroy the Packers, you can see why I wanted Robert Saleh as our head coach.

If you guys are watching this defense of the 49ers destroy the Packers, you can see why I wanted Robert Saleh as our head coach.

Ron Rivera and Del Rio are no slouches when it comes to defense.

If we're smart and add Chase Young to this front and Sweat continues to develop, our pass rush could be just as nasty as the Niners front.

Ron Rivera and Del Rio are no slouches when it comes to defense.

If we're smart and add Chase Young to this front and Sweat continues to develop, our pass rush could be just as nasty as the Niners front.

While I do have tremendous confidence our defense improves dramatically with the new coaching staff, I do not put a lot of faith in Sweat, and if I am honest I am concerned about Young's disappearance in both post season games. I keep hearing he dealt with a lot of double teams, but he was double teamed by every single team all year long, and still managed 16.5 sacks.

I am liking what I see from Iasaih Simmons, his post season appearances appear to have him jumping ahead of Okudah on most draft boards, likely to go #3 overall to the Lions.

It's going to be an interesting lead up to the draft, especially with teams awaiting the word on Tua and his recovery. I still think we end up with Chase, and I'll be OK with that. I just hope we get Trent Williams back on the field if we don't recover that 2nd round pick or we may never see if Haskins has what it takes.

No faith in Sweat at all? Even though he was coached by the worst DC in the league?

Redskins fans basically gave up on Ioannidis after his first year struggles and now, he's arguably our best Dlineman.

So it's only natural that they'd do the same thing with Sweat.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't both Mann and Manley start out on Special Teams before they matured into bookends?

Why do fans no longer believe that a player needs to develop?

The jury is still out on Sweat but it's nowhere near time to give up and cut him.

While I do have tremendous confidence our defense improves dramatically with the new coaching staff, I do not put a lot of faith in Sweat, and if I am honest I am concerned about Young's disappearance in both post season games. I keep hearing he dealt with a lot of double teams, but he was double teamed by every single team all year long, and still managed 16.5 sacks.

I had high hopes for Sweat in the sense of the bar being set very high. Coaching was obviously part of the problem and his pre-season injury may have had a season long impact. All that said, the vaunted superior athleticism never seemed to materialize as the season wore on. When I was watching, it constantly looked like OTs (including the average ones) got in close to his body quickly and that he did not have the power and quickness to over-come poor technique. I'm hoping two savvy defense oriented coaches can get him squared away and turn the potential into consistently superior on-field performance.

I had high hopes for Sweat in the sense of the bar being set very high. Coaching was obviously part of the problem and his pre-season injury may have had a season long impact. All that said, the vaunted superior athleticism never seemed to materialize as the season wore on. When I was watching, it constantly looked like OTs (including the average ones) got in close to his body quickly and that he did not have the power and quickness to over-come poor technique. I'm hoping two savvy defense oriented coaches can get him squared away and turn the potential into consistently superior on-field performance.

I thought Sweat actually got better over the last few games, including a couple forced fumbles. 7 sacks as a rookie is not a bad season... even for a first round pick. Not everyone can be a Bosa and put up double digit sacks in their rookie season against NFL O-lineman. I think he's going to be A LOT better in the 4-3 as a DE or rushing OLB. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a MAJOR step forward this offseason, going into 2020

50 tackles
7 sacks
2 FFs
5 STFs

If someone isn't impressed with that considering the dumpster fire of a DC we had; I have no idea how to impress them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.