• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Grant was never going to be a starting caliber WR from the start because he lacked all the essentials - size, speed and hands.

You can get by without size and play in the slot if you have great hands and are quick off the line. He's not.

You can have average speed if you can win 50/50 balls in traffic at 6'2 or 6'3.

But a guy like Grant didn't have any real upside coming out of college, that's why I thought the pick was suspect when I read his draft bio.

I was like 'this guy doesn't have NFL skills'.

You mean stuff like this?

tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. - NFL.com
Rated number 37 out of 276 wide receivers - NFL.com
Needs to add strength to more effectively beat press coverage and battled (sic) for the ball in the air. - NFL.com
Route running skills could use some refinement. - NFL.com

Ryan Grant is actually a success story, in the context of the typical production that we get out of WR's that we draft ourselves.
Jamison Crowder is by far, the exception to the rule.

Take a look at all the other WR's we drafted in the last 2 decades. How many of these guys produced more for us, than Grant has ? And those that did, it wasn't by much.
Look how many busts, misses, and disappointments there are.

Josh Doctson
Evan Spencer
Leonard Hankerson
Aldrick Robinson
Terrence Austin
Marko Mitchell
Devin Thomas
Malcolm Kelly
Taylor Jacobs
Cliff Russell
Rod Gardner
Darnerien McCants
Ethan Howell
Tim Alexander
Patrick Palmer

Actually, other than Crowder, you have to go back over 20 years, to Albert Connell, to get to a WR draft pick that we got decent production from. Unless you want to include 50/50.

Last edited:
Albert Connell Mr I'm going to pad my stats to get a big payday. 39-102 in 2000 he cost us like 3-4 games himself that season. Basically dropped any pass that was under 10 yards

Most of what this team did in the draft from 2001-2009 was forgettable and is of little use in valuing how current players are progressing.

The floor was much too low.

Grant is entering his third NFL season and he has yet to really show he can even be a candidate for the #4 receiver position.

He waited too long because in 2017 there is simply too much speed and athleticism at WR to make the roster.

I see the Redskins filed papers with NFL to reorganize the FO without replacing the GM.

The Redskins also signed Brandon Banks.

I can't believe it. I thought when he was here last at 5'9 and 165 that he was too small and needed size.

Well, he took that to heart and came back at 6'3 and 287.

And he did it without seeing Dr. Galea :You_Rock_Emoticon:

I see the Redskins filed papers with NFL to reorganize the FO without replacing the GM.

Basically: We tried getting a GM, he didn't work out, so see? Didn't need one anyway.

Unbelievable...........

This is from last year, but I LOL'd at Cravens' response to the question after the Minnesota game.
Rolls his eyes, shakes his head, and keeps it real about Preston Smith's ball handling ability....at 1:11

"Have you ever seen Preston make a play like that ?"
"Oh man......NO.....Preston got rock hands"

Allen was on ESPN 980 this afternoon and indicated to Doc Walker that teams don't file 'paperwork' with the NFL in regards to upcoming moves in regards to front office personnel, scouts, etc.

He said Pollard's group made a statement about 'monitoring the Redskins situation' without really having any idea what the team was actually doing.

Overall, I thought the Redskins were going to go the way of a committee approach with Allen at the top.

I didn't think there was any way Allen was going to co-lead again with a GM like McCloughan.

Days until First Preseason Game

6_3909488.jpg

Super Bowl is in Minnesota this year.
Remember what the Skins did the last time SB was in Minnesota.
If Kirk doesn't sign before July 15, he's essentially in a contract year, so he's really gonna be on fire.
Everything is aligning for a Super Bowl Championship this year.

Last edited:
Josh LeRibeus signs with Saints.

Amazing how some of these guys just keep hanging around the league for years.

Josh LeRibeus signs with Saints.

Watch, he'll end up with a Super Bowl ring, just like Chase Daniel and Greg Williams did after they left the Skins for the Saints, :paranoid:

Giants seem to take our Linebackers (Arrington, Pierce, Robinson), so I wonder if either Compton or Foster head to NY next year.

Last edited:
It's official.

I have cancelled the remainder of May, all of June, and most of July.

Training camp begins tomorrow.

Oh, and all bills are to be marked "Paid in Full" during the cancelled period.

For Redskins fans only.

Don't forget Brunell. He got a ring on that 2009 New Orleans squad too.

Like Daniel, he won a ring from the Gatorade booth.

Jairus Byrd is still a free agent. I wonder if for a reasonable one-two year deal he might be good insurance as the veteran presence at safety given the youth in Cravens and Swearinger and the younger draft picks.

We have Will Blackmon (32) and Deshazor Everett (special teamer) as depth there but Blackmon is a career corner and Everett as we all know is primarily a special teams contributor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.