• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Days until Training Camp and we get to see Da'Ron Payne "bowl" people over.

todd-bowles-cornerback-of-the-washington-redskins-breaks-up-a-pass-to-picture-id56403477

We're in year 5 of his tenure and Jay Gruden has given us an average team for the first 4 seasons. Had he hired Wade Phillips, we'd have probably had a defense that would have given Gruden a few more wins and made us a better team. He has this season to save his career here in DC...anything less than 10-6 likely see Gruden fired, and I just don't see us going 10-6.

That's just conjecture. Gruden is under contract through the 2020 season - and barring a couple of losing seasons, I think he'll at least be the Redskins coach through then. I don't see a collapse like that likely with an improving roster.

John, you just can't argue, given the body of evidence provided, that Gruden is anything but average. Until he proves otherwsie, I just don't see how you can argue that assertion.

I can argue anything I want :) I understand your point. If you're looking at the entire NFL - sure - he's average. We've won about half our games. We've been in the playoffs about half the time. I get it. My take is based on my belief that we haven't seen his full potential, and also on my belief that the Redskins have the most stable staff and front office we've had in a long, long time, and that the team is about to turn the corner in a big way. You don't have to believe it - but I do.

As for your "great" defensive staff assertion, I think you're coloring that a bit rosy, too. Tomsula is definitely a solid coach, Manusky has shown he can get the most out of his players, and there seems to be some talent at the other coaching position, but what exactly have they done to suggest they are great?

I love our defensive staff. They kept us in the playoff mix and in almost every game last year with a defense held together with spit, popsicle sticks, and chewing gum. Prior to the injury bug hitting bigtime, the defense was starting to look very imposing. I think with better health this year, another season with basically the same coaching staff, and the addition of some significant young talent - we may well be a top 10 defense. Compared to 3 seasons ago, that's pretty great. Again, you don't have to agree.

What's that sound, I hear nothing, yes, nothing, an offseason without DRAMA, it's like heaven. When is the last time we spent an offseason without drama? Seriously, between Haynesworthless,McNabb,RG3, Shaninigans, Cousins, Cravens, good grief, it almost makes me smile, almost.

I'd ask what those stains are on the back, but really don't want to know...

Im actually really looking forward to this season... It's been a welcomed distraction of offseason turmoil with the run the Caps went on... and it's been crickets in regards to the nonsense we're usually talking about right now. For the first time in a long time, there hasn't been some underlying theme of solving the the 50000th question regarding the QB. The only real question we have at that position is, can he actually be better than we thought.

Days left until Training Camp.
In case you were wondering what that scent was.
It's the scent of freshly cut grass on the practice field, which is like the aroma of Lavender, to a stressed out Redskin fan.

91031.jpg

Last edited:
I don't expect the Redskins to be a top Super Bowl contender but for the first time in a number of years the club seems to be on the way to fielding a team for the opener that perform the fundamentals.

We have a running back that can be a difference-maker. We have a line that is capable of helping him get 1-2 yards when necessary. We have a quarterback that doesn't turn the ball over and isn't afraid to run with the ball to add a dimension to the offense that hasn't been there in recent years.

On defense, we finally look like we have a capable defensive front. Games against the Cowboys and Eagles won't be losses before the games begin because we finally have players that can stop the run inside and help push the pocket to allow the edge rushers be more effective.

My concerns are over the corners where I think we are thin and at wide receiver where we really don't have a true #1 or indeed a veteran with a real track record.

One would think a veteran WR will become available over the summer and I would hope the Redskins will look at adding depth there if it is possible to do so.

It's hard to find a decent pic of him in a Redskin uni, but how can you leave out the legendary Redskin QB and former Terp, Dick Shiner from the Training Camp countdown. He eventually ended up with Cleveland and Pittsburgh after establishing legendary status in Washington.
True to his last name, Shiner was known to throw passes that were super smooth, thus earning him the nickname Dick 'The Slick' Shiner.
But despite his on-field prowess and polished passes, Dick Shiner's polished off-the-field talents, are what he is of course more well-known for.

51Lkzd%2Bn5-L._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:
Need to make an adjustment in the TC countdown.
Up until now, it's been applicable to the date when players report on July 25.
However actual practice doesn't begin until the next day. And that's the date that most people are interested in.
So, if I skip today, and pick up tomorrow, that will auto-adjust to conform to the July 26 date.

Days left until Training Camp...
when that annual Redskins tradition continues, that was started some years back...
of favoring players named Josh.
This year we welcome Josh Norman, Josh Doctson, Josh Holsey, Josh Harvey-Clemons...

Corey+Webster+Josh+Morgan+New+York+Giants+AxfploFUZqQl.jpg

Last edited:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Redskins draft Virginia Tech CB Adonis Alexander in x 6th round of supplemental draft, per source.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1017106640468922375?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 11, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.