• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Got a question for you guys who've attended games the last few years. Was watching a video way back when Sean played with us and it showed him and the team dancing to the PA system music. Seems it was a tv timeout or something.

My question is has our D done anything like this over the last few seasons? Seems back in the day GW had them playing as a unit, & having fun at it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XWFI0PcvaqM

Imho this is definitely missing & hopefully starts up again

There is always a group of them dancing to the PA music.

"NFC EAST
We're predicting a bounce-back year for the Cowboys"

Ok, I haven't followed football at all (and I mean at ALL) since last summer, but didn't the Cowboys lose Dez Bryant and Jason Witten this offseason? Who the hell is The Magical Dak Prescott going to throw to?

I'm positive Jerrah sold his soul a while back. No other possible explanation for the turds to get playoff hopes every stinking year regardless of record.

I think most pundits are approaching the Redskins as a team on the fence... a lot of potential, but that potential swings both ways and with out recent history most err on the side of pessimism. There are too many unprovens on our team for pundits to choose otherwise.

For the optimist we have a young and talented D Line - for the pessimist we have a young and untested D-line.

For the optimist we have Allen coming back healthy after a strong start to last year and we're hoping for a step up from Anderson - for the pessimist Anderson might not step up and Allen is still untested over a whole season.

For the optimist Dunbar and co will step up - for the pessimist we lost Fuller and Breeland.

For the optimist Guice will be the stud we hope he is, Fat Rob and Perine will take a step forward and Thompson will return to last years pre injury form - For the pessimist the Redskins run game has sucked for years and Guice dropped in the draft for a reason.

For the optimist we'll have Reed back healthy, Crowder and Doctson will have breakout years and Richardson will be the speedster we've missed since Jackson - For the Pessimist Reed will play 6 games and our receiving corps is untested.

For the optimist Smith is less turnover prone, throws a decent deep ball and is a winner - For the pessimist Smith is a game manager on the downward slope of his career and a step back from Cousins.

There's more, but point made.

I can understand why most outlets are pessimistic about out chances, there's ALOT of questions. For me I feel that's why this season feels so exciting.
We feel like a dark horse threat to me, we have many of the pieces in place to be a serious competitor if everyone plays/coaches to their potential and we avoid the injury bug.

We're primed for a breakout year. Whether we fulfil that promise remains to be seen.

"NFC EAST

Ok, I haven't followed football at all (and I mean at ALL) since last summer, but didn't the Cowboys lose Dez Bryant and Jason Witten this offseason? Who the hell is The Magical Dak Prescott going to throw to?

Because Ezekiel Elliot will lift the team to a 19-0 record all on his own. Never mind that they were basically .500 with him in the lineup last year.

"NFC EAST

Not to mention, once-in-a-century talent Prescott looked pretty ordinary in his sophomore campaign. He's a good QB, but he was never the game changing talent that all of the hype his rookie year screamed he would be. Everything about Dallas is overrated. Always has been. Always will be.

People are sleeping on the Redskins. I really believe this could be a breakout season for us. We got better, stronger, and faster in a number of key spots. Why are people sleeping on the Redskins (most polls will have us bringing up the rear in the NFC East)? The QB change. We 'lost' Kirk Cousins, the most dominant QB of our lifetimes :) Ordinarily, having to break in and adjust to a brand new starting QB would be significant enough to warrant predicting some major steps backwards. But Smith is no ordinary QB. He's the perfect QB to run a Gruden offense, he's already shown he can start over and thrive in a new offense, and do it in a hurry. And he is far more talented than his critics give him credit for.

Our DL is going to be scary good. Our offense may well be scary good. And Alex Smith may make Kirk Cousins look like an underachiever.

Wentz will not be ready to have another season like the one he had in 2017. The Eagles will drop back to the pack in surprising fashion. Dallas will have a better 2018 than last year but they've still got a lot of issues. And the Giants, well, I mean it's just another year with a fading Eli under center. Unless they hand the ball off to Barkley 50 times a game, they're going nowhere.

The Redskins are going to win the NFC East in 2018 - and they'll win it by at least 2 games.

Not to mention, once-in-a-century talent Prescott looked pretty ordinary in his sophomore campaign. He's a good QB, but he was never the game changing talent that all of the hype his rookie year screamed he would be. Everything about Dallas is overrated. Always has been. Always will be.

People are sleeping on the Redskins. I really believe this could be a breakout season for us. We got better, stronger, and faster in a number of key spots. Why are people sleeping on the Redskins (most polls will have us bringing up the rear in the NFC East)? The QB change. We 'lost' Kirk Cousins, the most dominant QB of our lifetimes :) Ordinarily, having to break in and adjust to a brand new starting QB would be significant enough to warrant predicting some major steps backwards. But Smith is no ordinary QB. He's the perfect QB to run a Gruden offense, he's already shown he can start over and thrive in a new offense, and do it in a hurry. And he is far more talented than his critics give him credit for.

Our DL is going to be scary good. Our offense may well be scary good. And Alex Smith may make Kirk Cousins look like an underachiever.

Wentz will not be ready to have another season like the one he had in 2017. The Eagles will drop back to the pack in surprising fashion. Dallas will have a better 2018 than last year but they've still got a lot of issues. And the Giants, well, I mean it's just another year with a fading Eli under center. Unless they hand the ball off to Barkley 50 times a game, they're going nowhere.

The Redskins are going to win the NFC East in 2018 - and they'll win it by at least 2 games.

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/xT9IgfNPRprdidd3Bm" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/inreallife-xT9IgfNPRprdidd3Bm">via GIPHY</a></p>

I'll readily admit I have no basis for putting the PED thing out there in terms of Incognito. He just seems to have a lot of the impulse control issues I associate with it. I could be wrong but I think steroid use is probably still rampant in the NFL but that players have access to sophisticated masking techniques. I also don't think the NFL is nearly as interested in eradicating PEDs as Pro Baseball has been, for whatever reason.

But I could've totally wrong. Incognito's issues may not have anything to do with PEDs or CTE. He may simply be mentally ill or may just be an evil SOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's both if you ask me. As a lifelong gym rat who has had more than one friend get stuck on the juice, his behavior is exactly the way theirs was once they started stacking. He also seems to have more than one screw loose, witness the J. Martin thing and countless on field incidents. Please tell me we didn't sign this loose cannon?!?

He's both if you ask me. As a lifelong gym rat who has had more than one friend get stuck on the juice, his behavior is exactly the way theirs was once they started stacking. He also seems to have more than one screw loose, witness the J. Martin thing and countless on field incidents. Please tell me we didn't sign this loose cannon?!?

No we did not... and after his latest incident I question whether anyone can/does, despite the fact that he was released and no charges were filed.

A little depressing, but clearly justified, that after 4 years, our head coach still has a losing record, and little expectation of success from ESPN's mediots.

He is in the bottom half of NFL coaches, because he's earned it.

Sure hope something shoves a golden horseshoe up his arse this year.

He's the weak link going into the season, IMHO.
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000938541/2018-nfl-coach-rankings-bill-belichick-and-then-

He's #19 . Though out of sympathy, they called him #18 .

18 out of 32 is middle of the pack. Sure it's far from great buts it's not bad either. Considering how The Skins were in the playoff hunt until the final game of the season; working around an oft injured O-line and a AN everyone knew was going to leave at seasons end he did a pretty good job.

That being said Jay needs to make a deep playoff run or his days will be numbered.

A little depressing, but clearly justified, that after 4 years, our head coach still has a losing record, and little expectation of success from ESPN's mediots.

He is in the bottom half of NFL coaches, because he's earned it.

Sure hope something shoves a golden horseshoe up his arse this year.

He's the weak link going into the season, IMHO.
http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000938541/2018-nfl-coach-rankings-bill-belichick-and-then-

He's #19 . Though out of sympathy, they called him #18 .

Truth is, in the NFL, a coach is only as good as his starting QB. Gruden hasn't exactly been blessed in that regard in his first HC stint. He inherited a fatally flawed starter in RG3. It took a full 2 years for him to convince the Redskins (and fans if we're being honest) they'd made a monumental mistake there. As soon as he got a capable QB under center we started improving and winning more. But Cousins had his own issues - including failing to show up on the big stage, red zone ineptitude, oh - and never wanting to be in DC in the first place.

Bottom line - Gruden's got a truly professional talented game manager under center. There won't be any excuses now and he should be able to make the Redskins a perennial playoff team with a QB as smart as Alex Smith. He'll get a couple of seasons to show he can do that or Snyder will move on.

I still think Gruden is a better coach than his results might indicate. We're about to find out.

Gruden is the best coach we've had since Gibbs 2.0, then again beating out Zorn and Shananigans doesn't take much. I'd expect to see an improved team this year without the drama over the past 2 seasons at the qb position, but also if we don't get a run game going this year, we're still going to fall short and that will rest on the shoulders of Gruden.

Well, like you say, we're about to find out.

I'm not convinced his lack of conviction to a running game is there. It could well be that Guice will still be able to excel despite his coach's disdain for running.

I have no doubt that Alex Smith will make him look better.

Gruden, so far, is just a guy. Ergo, the weak link. He needs to step up his game.

Well, like you say, we're about to find out.

I'm not convinced his lack of conviction to a running game is there. It could well be that Guice will still be able to excel despite his coach's disdain for running.

I have no doubt that Alex Smith will make him look better.

Gruden, so far, is just a guy. Ergo, the weak link. He needs to step up his game.

I don't agree with Boone about the QB position, unless he's talking about the uncertainty with Cousins status on the team, because Cousins was more than a capable QB, he could win. Yes he had his flaws, but a good coach wins with a QB like Cousins.

As for the argument, I think Gruden will not be our coach going into the 2019 season. I think Snyder is tired of the mediocrity, and that's the best we'll get with a coach that still doesn't know how to manage a clock. If there is 3 minutes left and the play is whistled dead, don't call a timeout at 2:33 left...you've just wasted 27 seconds. Gruden is still doing this(Often) at this point in his career. That is poor coaching.

Wins what? We mostly did ‘win' - but he never showed up in big games and was a major underperformed in the red zone. Smith has a far better track record in both areas. He's also highly coachable - something I am not sure can be said of Cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordinarily, having to break in and adjust to a brand new starting QB would be significant enough to warrant predicting some major steps backwards. But Smith is no ordinary QB. He's the perfect QB to run a Gruden offense, he's already shown he can start over and thrive in a new offense, and do it in a hurry. And he is far more talented than his critics give him credit for.

Funny tho, you don't hear the critics apply the same standard to the Vikings and expect their offense to take a step backward while Cousins learns a new offense.
Nope, they're Super Bowl bound now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 0, Guests: 5)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.