• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Hard to believe that someone with your history of watching the NFL cannot appreciate one of the greatest defensive battles in the history of the Super Bowl. You had 2 defensive geniuses battling it out for 4 quarters to see which would break first.

the only advantage was that Wade Phillips had to do it against the 2nd best QB in history, while Belichek had to do it against a deer caught in the headlights.

Both defensive coaches were brilliant! I was happy to see such a great game.

My friend: all good points.

Watching stymied offenses wrested too many recent memories... :)

I had work to do so I couldn't focus anyway. No real drama in the first half to keep my attention so other priorities took over.

The SB, in some ways, has become anti-climatic. More so given the limited attractions since 1992!

btw..I stick to my claim: it was boring right up to the last 7 minutes. Listening to today's sports media, I wasn't alone in my reaction.

That said, that was my experience. To others who enjoyed it - I hope you had a rollickin party with good company to provide homespun atmosphere during the game!

For the record: Pats defense ranked 22nd against the pass (passing yards) and 27th against the rush (yds/rush). BB did coach an incredible SB game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Both teams had good ones, but the Rams just couldn't get their run game going, at all. The Pats stuck with it much of the game, and Michele was able to churn off big gains at the end to win the game.

I would amend that slightly. IMO the Lambs abandoned their ground game way too early. I heard something on talk radio this morning that said they passed on @70% of their offensive snaps. Mind you, this is a team that made their bones all season on the run and play action set up from that. So did McVay find a severed horse head in his hotel bed the morning of or what? My pappy loved to say "you dance with what brung ya." McVay might have done well to follow a similar principle.

One thing I heard Rams fan caller this morning on the NFL Network ... he mentioned that McVay decided that the only way to keep the Patriots defense guessing was to come out of the huddle with 15 seconds to play (when they cut off the sideline to on-the-field communications). The caller's point was that this strategy totally screwed up the Rams offensive tempo and rhythm as they've been an uptempo offense all year. I thought it was an interesting observation as it can't be denied that the Rams looked completely out of synch almost all night. This may have been part of what McVay was referencing when he stated that he 'got outcoached' last night.

I called a Rams victory, unless McVay got too smart for his own good. If he relied on what got them their, they had the talent to win. Looks like he got too smart for his own good if this is accurate.

Also, Romo mentioned it during the broadcast. He stated, "How brilliant is this? McVay is having Goff wait til 15 seconds to break the huddle, not allowing Belcheck to pass along the info via the headset."

Problem I see, if that is what McCoy was doing in the 1st half, then all Belichek had to do was create a couple hand signals at half, but they held the Rams to 0 points in the first half, so...

I am watching the AAF and the talent is not bad...mistakes are being made, but they are letting the players play football. It is definitely NOT the XFL!

I was not aware Bill Polian is one of those in charge of the league which lends some respect even though Vince MacMahon is still involved.

Not bad...not the NFL, but the Redskins would be wise to have talent scouts at these games!

Not sure but this article says its by the Hail & Hog. Only you locals would know that one

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...den-son-faces-drunk-public-charge/2840006002/

Hail & Hog sits diagonally from Bar Louie, or at least it used to. I thought it closed about a year ago. It's all right down the street from Redskins Park. Nothing good eve happens at One Loudoun if you're a Redkins.

Correction... Hail & Hog closed well over a year ago, according to that LOL!

He's only 22. I know all of you were models of responsibility and sobriety at that age :). We were lucky enough not to have our stupidity talked about in the paper and on TV.

10 to 1 odds this was some kind of confrontation with someone bashing Dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am watching the AAF and the talent is not bad...mistakes are being made, but they are letting the players play football. It is definitely NOT the XFL!

I was not aware Bill Polian is one of those in charge of the league which lends some respect even though Vince MacMahon is still involved.

Not bad...not the NFL, but the Redskins would be wise to have talent scouts at these games!

I watched some of the highlights from those AAF games last night, I quite enjoyed it.

As I live in Birmingham, UK, I'm seriously thinking of becoming a Birmingham Iron fan. :D

I agree with what you've said above and I'd add one more observation... Some of those crowds looked bigger than a regular Washington game at FedEx.
San Antonio of all places was rocking!

It's a novelty right now. Check back on attendance after 4 or 5 games. Those kinds of leagues have failed previously because they couldn't generate enough interest to cover costs. I'm not very knowledgeable on this new league - is it sponsored by the NFL or a private venture?

It's a novelty right now. Check back on attendance after 4 or 5 games. Those kinds of leagues have failed previously because they couldn't generate enough interest to cover costs. I'm not very knowledgeable on this new league - is it sponsored by the NFL or a private venture?

True, but it was just something I noticed.

FedEx was starting to look emptier and emptier on gamedays last year. I know the team was not putting on a good 'on-field' show, but it just seems like the fans have started voting with their wallets a bit as regards the Skins lately.

I have no idea about what's behind the AAF, I just saw highlights and wondered what it was. As El said, it's actually pretty enjoyable. I love the way the referring is transparent. Right or wrong, it was nice to see the referee's explaining their decisions in real time.

Opening ratings and ticket sales are always high with a new league, whether they can sustain is another issue and certain towns are going to be ecstatic to have a team, even the Las Vegas Outlaws in the XFL had good attendance during it's short lived time, the real question is will it be competitive and compelling enough to keep the minimum ratings and viewership to keep the advertising dollars in. I watched the highlights of the games on youtube, it's football but doesn't really peek my interest yet, not a big fan of the only can rush 5 aspect at all.

He's only 22. I know all of you were models of responsibility and sobriety at that age :). We were lucky enough not to have our stupidity talked about in the paper and on TV.

I certainly didn't have three arrests by the age of 22, let alone 45... ;)

I certainly didn't have three arrests by the age of 22, let alone 45... ;)

He's had 3 arrests? Are you referring to the ‘3 incidents' referenced in the article - he was arrested for public drunkenness for 3 separate clashes with folks during a short period. Has he had problems with the law before?

Jay Gruden has had a couple DUIs in the past - true. At least one of them was barely over the legal limit. Not minimizing but *most* of us have tread that line more than once. I'm just saying that 22 yr old males do stupid shit. If you didn't I salute you. But most of us did.

Speaking of forgiveness...we should have signed Kareem Hunt. I know Guice is coming back, but how effective will he be coming off his knee injury. I like AP, but how much does he really have left in the tank. Hunt and Guice should be the duo going into next season, not AP and Guice.

And Boone, an isolated incident would be one thing, but the drama hits just keep on coming. I'm not saying we should dump young Gruden, just that it's just another thing for folks to say, "See...those Redskins!"

As for the new league...it is not the XFL. Will it survive? It has an uphill battle, but it's not like any other league we've seen...not the XFL, and not even the USFL. If the NFL were smart, they'd talk to the creators if the AAF about a spring league for players on the bubble of making teams, giving scouts and players a bigger pool of talent to see in real time.

Speaking of forgiveness...we should have signed Kareem Hunt. I know Guice is coming back, but how effective will he be coming off his knee injury. I like AP, but how much does he really have left in the tank. Hunt and Guice should be the duo going into next season, not AP and Guice.

And Boone, an isolated incident would be one thing, but the drama hits just keep on coming. I'm not saying we should dump young Gruden, just that it's just another thing for folks to say, "See...those Redskins!".

I don't quite get that argument Brian. You're worried about the bad PR because Jay Gruden's 22-year-old son got into a fight while intoxicated, but you want us to sign Kareem Hunt?

You have to admit the logic there is a little wacky :)

And trust me guys, I'm really not on some crusade to salvage poor little Jack Gruden's reputation. I just think the attention this is getting is unbelievably ridiculous. And I'll say it again - I know you all did stupid things, no doubt equal to his stupid things when you were 22.

It's what young American males do, and in that regard he's upholding a grand tradition.

Last edited:
I don't quite get that argument Brian. You're worried about the bad PR because Jay Gruden's 22-year-old son got into a fight while intoxicated, but you want us to sign Kareem Hunt?

You have to admit the logic there is a little wacky :)

And trust me guys, I'm really not on some crusade to salvage poor little Jack Gruden's reputation. I just think the attention this is getting is unbelievably ridiculous. And I'll say it again - I know you all did stupid things, no doubt equal to his stupid things when you were 22.

It's what young American males do, and in that regard he's upholding a grand tradition.

Maybe Elephant & probably Goal were running amok, but the rest of us were saints!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.