• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

If there is legitimacy in the trade rumors for Amari Cooper, we have to consider it. I have no idea what compensation they would want, but it's something we should seriously consider.

And whatever happens over the course of the next 2 years, I hope we can somehow be successful and still have the chance to draft Tua from Alabama!

With my life now three months shorter, we head into game 6. That one was wild. Great effort.

I'm glad they were able to rebound from the debacle on Monday night and get the win. There are things I still don't like, but I'm not going to dwell on the negative. I did enough of that after the loss on Monday. They were able to beat the Panthers without their most dynamic offensive weapon Chris Thompson. Peterson has a skill at RB that hasn't been seen on this team since the first few years of Portis. Even at his age, you can see why he is a hall of fame RB. The WRs stepped up and made plays. There were more than a few occasions I didn't expect the ball to be caught, but the WRs made some tough catches and a few in big spots.

Edit: Kudos to Gruden for going for it on 4th down early in the game. I was shocked that the Panthers punted on their first series. Gruden saw an opportunity to keep the momentum on the 2nd drive and he went for it.

Couldn't get on game chat in the first half and given how we were doing, I decided to be superstitious and stay off for the second half. Their defense stepped it up in the second half and got good pressure one thing we couldn't do too often. I was yeling a few times for Gruden to roll Smith out to get away from the pressure but overall I thought he called a good game. We couldn't get TDs but we got some good long drives. That's progress. And love Hopkins long FG. I'm not sure he could have gotten another half yard.

We've got to figure out how to get some pressure though. There were times I thought we were getting close but Newton wasn't that uncomfortable too often.

The performance of Peterson points up how the decision making of the Redskins in the past has been holding them back.

Doug and Kyle brought Adrian in and then once Gruden saw him workout then he was all in favor of signing him. Meanwhile, Bruce luckily was out of the loop and could only ratify the move later on.

What Peterson's performance shows is that the Redskins should keep the doors open when looking for talent.

Without Peterson Gruden would be going with Perine and Mack Brown and we would be nowhere.

A team as back needy as Washington doesn't have the option of just dismissing guys out of hand.

But Bruce and Jay on their own seem content with going with cheap draft picks and undrafted free agents like Perine, Kelley, Ryan Grant, and replacement level vets like Lauvao without even trying to upgrade for the given season with vets who were released or talented guys that were hurt the year before and are looking for a chance to show they can still play.

With the lack of production at WR this team really needs to bring in Dez Bryant and have him work out for the club.

Don't tell me he would be the #4 or #5 WR on this team because the top 4 haven't as a group been performing at an NFL level week in and week out.

We had another vet, John Sullivan, in here to play center when Spencer Long went down and he played well. But instead of resigning him we went with Rouillier at center and brought Lauvao back at guard.

That was a mistake. The team could have resigned Sullivan to play center and put Chase at LG for 1-2 years.

Instead Sullivan is the starting center on the 6-0 Rams and we were back to relying on Lauvao who is hurt for the third consecutive season.

These are personnel mistakes that make a difference in wins and losses.

Belichick has no qualms about picking up guys like James Harrison or Josh Gordon if he thinks they can help for the given season, there is no marriage in New England with draft picks or free agents.

If they don't produce they don't get a second year, they are gone.

And the search for talent and upgrades never stops.

At 11-3 last year New England was still bringing in veteran guys for workouts and signed a couple heading into the playoffs.

Doug and Kyle did the right thing.

Whether Brucie and Jay agree or not Peterson is a better back at 33 than Kelley, Perine will ever be.

And we can admit that Peterson is not what he was 2-3 years ago, so that shows how shallow the talent behind Guice really was all along.

If a draft pick is a bust let's admit it before we decide to leave him on the roster for 2-3 years to avoid admiring the mistake.

And if you do want to keep him then admit the guy is the backup's backup and not someone the team can rely ypin until proven otherwise.

I really have no argument with any of that Bulldog - including possibly working out Dez Bryant and seeing if you think he can help us. I'll be curious to see if the Amari Cooper rumors prove to be true as well? Personally, I think the Raiders would be asking multiple draft picks for a 5th year guy (only 24 yrs old) of Cooper's talent level. A proven WR might be worth what they're asking for, although we'd have to break our more recent tendency of keeping our picks.

I agree that we seem to keep guys far past their most productive years and seem averse at times to addressing obvious areas of weakness. The Patriots are cut throat and they make that philosophy work for them, although I think one of the reasons they are able to adopt that strategy is because THEY ARE THE PATRIOTS. Teams like the Redskins have to worry about how they deal with players and the potential impact on attracting top free agents. Perennial Super Bowl teams like the Patriots don't have that concern. I do think that one of the ongoing issues with our Front Office is that the average fan can highlight the critical positions of need (what fans weren't concerned about WR, RB depth, and OL issues prior to this season?) and yet the decision makers at Redskins Park seemed to largely ignore those issues or bring in guys who were subpar to 'fill' those gaps.

Alex Smith is a disaster. That is all.

He's looked very shaky at times and serviceable at others. In his defense, he's mostly been running for his life out there, and on any given play whether or not any of our WRs and TEs are going to break free or run a quality route is an open question. Even Jordan Reed's routes look sloppy and half-assed. If I were Jay Gruden, I'd make sure Ike Hilliard and Wes Phillips knew that what we have gotten from our receiving corps is totally unacceptable and that they had better light a fire under those guys or heads will roll.

Similarly, the OL's pass protection has been borderline embarassing at times. With the talent and size of that unit, the near constant pressure they are allowing to get to Alex Smith is unacceptable.

Smith has not met expectations to date. But I don't think you can assess him in a vacuum when he's running for his life out there, and the receiving corps is out there getting consistently outplayed and manhandled by opposing DBs.

I like it anytime the team invests in the draft in the lines.

However, with Ty Nsekhe coming back on a 2 year deal as the swing tackle it might have made sense to draft a guard prospect to backup Scherff and Lauvao both of whom seem to suffer injury problems during the season.

Instead we took Geron Christian and he has been inactive for 5 weeks.

Looking at our OL I don't like the idea of keeping our top line selection in Round 3 out of uniform each week when we need help inside.

I still don't see why we can't go with Nsekhe at LG and have Christian active as the backup at OT.

Is Christian really that far away from being an NFL player as a #3 pick?

#3 picks around the league are contributing, some as starters.

Smith will be fine. If the Oline doesn't get him killed.

All Patriot moves seem to work because of Tom friggin Brady. Period. Once he's gone, they return to Earth.
If they were as brilliant and infallible with their roster as some pretend, they'd be 16-0, every year, with 9 straight Super Bowls.

Back to the Oline. Since going to the current setup of Chase at LG, and Bergstrom at center, we've been bad far too often.
I think Chase is the better center. If Nsekhe is a more natural, comfortable tackle, then why not put him at LT, move Williams to guard, and put Chase back at center?

It's not like Williams is playing all that great either. He played guard last year and did pretty good.

Smith will be fine. If the Oline doesn't get him killed.

All Patriot moves seem to work because of Tom friggin Brady. Period. Once he's gone, they return to Earth.
If they were as brilliant and infallible with their roster as some pretend, they'd be 16-0, every year, with 9 straight Super Bowls.

Back to the Oline. Since going to the current setup of Chase at LG, and Bergstrom at center, we've been bad far too often.
I think Chase is the better center. If Nsekhe is a more natural, comfortable tackle, then why not put him at LT, move Williams to guard, and put Chase back at center?

It's not like Williams is playing all that great either. He played guard last year and did pretty good.

Aaron Rodgers is better than Tom Brady...he hasn't been able to make the Packers perennial SB contenders by himself, just like Tom Brady hasn't been able to do that in New England. While Brady is a very large part, the organization from top to bottom is what makes them winners. You can see it in the way the players react to each other after just about every play.

The Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at quarterback.

I think the larger issue here is one of accountability and focus. Teams that win 10-13 games each season and are consistent contenders have coaches that are able to get players focused and ready to go understanding it is a 16 game season.

The Patriots don't have a lot of players like Josh Norman, that need the motivation of off-week criticism and facing his old team in order to play hard for 60 minutes for the first time this year.

But in re the OL - it's just a quirk that the Redskins have 3 good offensive linemen that seem to be injury prone.

Each year Trent, Brandon and Morgan get hurt - Trent will usually make it through 13 or 14 games anyway, but their effectiveness is compromised to some extent.

Williams worked out with Adrian Peterson in the offseason so it's not like he isn't doing his part to get ready to play.

With Morgan it may be that at 6'6 and 330 he is carrying a bit too much weight and needs to slim down some at RT to avoid the annual ankle and knee issues (?).

But my problem with the OL is their inconsistent play even when healthy - as in Game 2 against the Colts.

The Colts are 1-5 and have a poor team, especially on defense. But they came in here and totally dominated the Redskins front and were able to dictate the pace of play.

That kind of performance comes up each season in a certain number of games. Last year it was against the Giants.

New York had Vernon out and they weren't really playing for anything with a poor record, and the Redskins were totally manhandled.

That kind of performance comes up each season in a certain number of games. Last year it was against the Giants.

You aren't wrong - except that this is true for nearly every other (if not every) team in the league.

I know NFL fans hate the argument - but it's a week-to-week league. Teams look like world beaters one week, vulnerable and flawed the next. That's by far the norm vs the exception.

The bottom line is that teams that succeed find a way to win more than they lose. We don't have to be dominant. We don't have to be impressive. We just have to find a way to win more often than not. That's it. And once one gets to the playoffs, anything can happen. We see it almost every year ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be a week to week league, but in the end result it is always another team winning 13 games like the Eagles last year or the Patriots or Steelers, it is never the Redskins.

Other teams like the Seahawks, Broncos and Ravens had a pretty good run of playoff and SB years thrown in there recently as well.

It's ironic that in the years before the salary cap when it was more difficult to go from worst to first and put together a contending team, THOSE were the years the Redskins were excellent.

The Patriots went 11-5 with Matt Cassel at quarterback.

Yeah? Well, the Bears went 13-3, and made it to the Super Bowl, with Rex Grossman. Big friggin deal.

The lame ass Matt Cassel 1 season BS is constantly thrown out there, like it means anything at all. The Patriots had an established team. Played in a weak division. And they knew their hero would return.

So please, just stop.

How many titles does the cheater have, as a head coach, without Tom Terrific...………………….zero.
Without Brady, the cheater is 52-62 in the regular season. Cleveland/NE
1-1 in the playoffs during his one fluke good season in Cleveland.

No playoffs in NE without Tom.

An underrated big key to the Carolina game was special teams. Generated a turnover, pinned the Panthers deep on their side of the filed several times, and Hopkins was good. Was pleasantly surprised there.

D did their job generating turnovers, holding them to 17pts, and limiting their run game greatly.

To make headway, the offense needs to do their part. Alex hasn't hit his stride (though at least avoids clutch time INTs/Fumbles), the Oline is jekyl/hyde, and JAY needs to do better in second halves.

Ziggy Hood to be released today.

Hmmmm?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.