• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

The tough thing about this year is that it started with such hope.

Finally the Kirk Merry-go-round was over, and we had a competent QB under centre.
Our D was revamped.
Our injured players were all coming back.
We had hope that there was no way we could be snake-bit by injury twice.

Even after we lost Guice we kind of lucked into AP.

And then it started out so well, even with the offense underperforming, we hoped that it would click eventually and in the meantime the D was kicking ass and taking names.

Then it all fell apart in such dramatic fashion and now even me (Captain Optimistic) is looking at a teardown over the off season and a long term rebuild.

I have to agree with much said here.

Looking at it logically...

Snyder isn't going anywhere. So that's a pipedream
Allen needs to go. If the teams record and the empty stands don't do it then I don't know what will, but I'm hoping this is the year Snyder see's the light and he's out.
Coaching staff needs to be overhauled. At the very least even if Gruden stays, the Defensive staff need to be gutted.

Currently I feel like an offense that's trying but is struggling with injuries everywhere and that's the root of all the problems. Stupid penalties on that side of the ball coming from frustration and from cadence issues, or just trying too hard to do something.

The Defense however feels like it's just given up. No pride. At the very least the Coaching staff on that side of the locker-room have lost the players. Which is a shame because there's talent there.
How can you go from being a top 4 D to a bottom 4 D in a matter of weeks? The unit isn't particularly injured so why is it struggling?
And not being funny, I've watched Clinton-Dix make plays in Green Bay games for years and he was the number 2 ranked Safety before coming to Washington.... how did we screw him up so badly he looks terrible out there?

And if we're already overhauling the team, then it's time to evaluate and cut the dead weight and the injury prone players.

On O: Keep Williams and Scherff. Guice hopefully will be the future for us, but I'd try and hold onto Peterson too (he's shown to be a warrior this year and we NEED that mentality on the team). Crowder can stay, I'd give Doctson a chance. Davis can stay. I think I'd also ride with Simms, Bibbs and Quinn and hope that their injuries this year are fluke rather than the rule. Thompson I'd like to keep, I think he's a game changer when healthy. I don't consider a broken leg an 'injury prone' injury, and I thought they tried to bring him back too fast. I'd give him another shot. I'd also keep Chesson, mostly for his Special Teams work, but also because I'd hope that in the future we could harness that speed as a WR.

Every one else, including Reed, can go. Clean House.

On D: I like the like. Keep em. I would keep Kerrigan simply because he can stay off the IR list. I'd keep Swearinger (we need that fire) and Dunbar. Stroman has looked awful in his rookie year, but I'd probably keep to see if he makes the jump. And I'd try and retain Clinton-Dix because I've seen him play way better than he has, and I swear he's being mis-managed somehow.
We need help in the Linebackers (I'd maybe keep Anderson and Hamilton) and in the Secondary.

Then I'd settle in and see what happens next.

But on D, I think our bigger problem is coaching. I don't know what went wrong, but I don't think Manusky can fix it because I think he's lost the unit. Need new blood to kick them into shape now.

"Even after we lost Guice we kind of lucked into AP."

This is symptomatic of the problem with the way Gruden has operated here. Just in the RB's alone, he's had a stable of scrubs for years. ANd every year, one of them was supposed to rise up and become the next great NFL RB. Problem is, none of them EVER do. The whole team is built this way, hoping that unproven players will step up and play well. Look at the WR's.

Another fundamental problem is that we have our best players playing, but there's no one behind them worth a damn. No one. And we get to see that play over and over every year. Of course, no team can keep someone just as good as a first team player on the second team these days like Gibbs did back in the day, but when our first stringers go down, the drop off is often dramatic. Not to mention everyone has gotten old under Gruden.

Who really are our building blocks? Trent Williams? AP? Kerrigan? It's looking more and more like the kids we picked up for the D Line this year, who are gassed like every first year player in the NFL is this time of year. We had better plan accordingly.

John deflippa Our next head coach is already available look at what he did with Kirk

Zimmer has to win the award for biggest disappointment this season.

When was the last time a HC did so little with so much talent? Jeff Fisher in LA?

Great WRs, and first and second rounders all over that defense.

The OC also looks like hot garbage.

The OC is out. For anyone interested, the Vikings were 2nd in the league in rushing attempts last season, and are 31st this year.

I imagine both Gruden's and Zimmer's (crazy because of last season's results) seats are getting a little warm.

I had thought that Gruden might possibly end up in LA.

Now I could see Zimmer coming here to be the DC under Gruden. The only problem with that is we have 20% of the talent on defense that they do.

Last edited:
Gruden to Minnesota as their OC would probably make more sense, as their roster is absolutely stacked on both sides of the ball. They would probably become immediate SB favorites.

But after Jay said we "upgraded" the QB position with Smith, I don't see a Jay/Cousins reunion anytime soon.

If fans can temper their expectations (Zimmer would be taking a big step down in defensive talent on our roster) he would be a very good addition to run our defense. I'd grab him.

Screenshot 2018-12-11 at 6.05.54 PM.jpg

Your defensive captain,Mason Foster, folks.

" **** this team and **** this fanbase"

Last edited:
The Vikings are 6-6-1. They are not stacked on both sides of the ball.

Their offensive line is terrible. Their linebackers are average. Their corners are overrated.

And while Kirk's cap hit goes from $24M this year to $30 million next year they are going to have to squeeze a bit more in trying to keep their free agents and still upgrade at several spots.

The Bears are better across the board.

As long as Trubisky continues to improve and the Bears can acquire some help at WR,, I see this team on top in the NFC North for some time.

Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers and a team that otherwise is worse than the Redskins.

Wow... Mason can go eat a bag of rancid dick tips. Truly. Allen and Gruden can take him on the way out.

I have mixed feelings about your post above. And I'm no huge Mason Foster fan.

1. Is it even real?

2. Foster has 108 tackles so far this season. That puts him in 6th place in the league. Second place on our team isn't even close. It's Brown with only 80 tackles.

3. Emotions aside, it can be argued that he gives more effort and plays harder than anyone else on the team. He makes Dix look like a baby that's afraid of contact.

He's slower than molasses and teams are specifically targeting him to gain an advantage.

I'd like to see more context before condemning him.

It goes without saying that we don't need a cancer in the locker room.

If true, it's another example of an NFL player biting the hand that feeds him.

Foster was a #3 pick of the Atlanta Falcons but was released before his rookie contract was over. He bummed around the league for a year before coming here as a street free agent to fill a position where we lost an ILB to injury during the season.

He played surprisingly well for a street free agent and we kept him and he has been 'OK' the past couple of seasons.

He is a good tackler when he can get to the ballcarrier or receiver to get his hands on them. That's the problem. Mason is not particularly impactful in terms of size/strength nor is he particularly fast.

So, again a player that a good DC would look to replace with a younger, cheaper model.

The Redskins need to move on from the 3-4 alignment and Foster can be one of the first guys to go.

He's a C+/B- performer, the type of guy teams find in free agency to work on a one year, $2M deal.

We also need to release Josh Norman and use his salary slot to actually improve at CB.

The Redskins need to move on from the 3-4 alignment and Foster can be one of the first guys to go.

He's a C+/B- performer, the type of guy teams find in free agency to work on a one year, $2M deal.

We also need to release Josh Norman and use his salary slot to actually improve at CB.

That's exactly what we're paying him. He's at $1.75 million against the cap this year.

Let's hope that Reuben Foster comes out clean.

Crazy stat of the day, from Twitter:

Of the 6 highest paid QBs (based on average annual salary) in 2018, Kirk Cousins is the only one whose team is currently in playoff position.

I imagine that's a huge aberration and I doubt that much can be learned from it, but in a "quarterback" league, it's interesting.

The Vikings are 6-6-1. They are not stacked on both sides of the ball.

Their offensive line is terrible. Their linebackers are average. Their corners are overrated.

And while Kirk's cap hit goes from $24M this year to $30 million next year they are going to have to squeeze a bit more in trying to keep their free agents and still upgrade at several spots.

The Bears are better across the board.

As long as Trubisky continues to improve and the Bears can acquire some help at WR,, I see this team on top in the NFC North for some time.

Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers and a team that otherwise is worse than the Redskins.

Minnesota is one of the most stacked teams in the league on both sides of the ball.

Their defense gave up the fewest yards in the league last year. They also gave up the fewest points in the league last year.

They were also near the top of the league in both of those categories in 2016.

I saw a stat either last season or the year prior, where (at least at that time) 8 of their 11 starters on defense were either 1st or 2nd round picks--an all-time league record.

The offense is stacked too, specifically at the skill positions. They have exceptional WRs and a very good RB.

Every team of course has a few weaknesses--they need to improve their OL. But they have far fewer holes than most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.