• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

There are flashes of something... but also more of the same :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's early but so far not a fan of Grudens play calling. As usual minimal runs called.

Defense is better than last season tho

It's early but so far not a fan of Grudens play calling. As usual minimal runs called.

Defense is better than last season tho

Yeah D looks better bar that snafu early.

There's flashes of what Cousins to Pryor could be if they can sync up. That looks like it could be a dangerous play!

That eagle has a broken ankle

Time to run and sprinkle in some screens. Play the short game

This seems to culminate and confirm the reality that Gruden is actually a better talent evaluator than McClou.
And that McClou is in fact over-rated.
And that Allen did the right thing by letting him go.
And that that wasn't about some drama about Allen's ego or his feelings being hurt.
It was about McClou not being up to standard.
I hope they give Gruden more leverage on draft decisions and other player acquisitions.

QFT.
And today's game even further emphasized this point.
Ryan Gruden was out best receiver today.
Better than Pryor.
Better than Doctson.
Better than Crowder.
Better than Reed.
And we'll be better if we trust more in Gruden's personnel decisions.

The fumble returned for a TD should have been overturned

If we credit Gruden for personnel and other management decisions than he has to take the responsibility for hiring Joe Barry and shunning off Wade Phillips.

Nothing is 100% black and white with this team. Certainly, no one game means that much for a player like Crowder vs. Grant.

Crowder has proven himself over a 16 game schedule as a key contributor to the offense.

We will see what Grant does and whether he is still in the mix come Game 5 or 6.

Not surprised by Cousins performance.

As I have always thought, Kirk is a productive passer when he has the other parts working well.

But when it comes down to him to make key plays and perhaps carry a team in a sloppy game that was there for the winning in the second half, he failed to do much other than turn the ball over once again.

My initial thoughts...

Our O-Line looks bad. Can't run, can't pass protect... I'm hoping this inproves as it was one of our strengths last year.
That said the Eagles D-Line had been pretty highly touted coming in to this, so... here's hoping it's an outlier.

Kirk and Pryor aren't on the same page yet, but look like they could be super dangerous when they do sync up.

Our defence looks pretty sturdy I thought. Only gave up 16 (can't blame them for the fumble or the Interception) depsite the fact that the Offence put them on the field far too often.

Wentz is a mobile dangerous Mudderducker on the run, we got plenty of pressure and he just stayed on his feet or escaped and made the play. Our secondary needs to tighten up on those.
Breeland played MUCH better than last year though, and I like Swearinger alot.

Gallette has something left in the tank! YAY!

Reed was Reed, Crowder didn't break out and Grant looked.... good?!

Still can't run!

So disappointing start, but I was prepared after the pre-season. Looked like we were going to start slow, my suspicions were borne out. Not gonna overreact to a sloppy first week. Let's face it we lose the first game every year! LOL

Roll on next week.

Yes, I am still pissed. Just for the record.

This team is medium-rare, not good enough to be medium. There is no urgency, fight, or intensity. I think the D will take on Manusky's personality and be aggressive.

Someone needs to rip these guys a new one, especially Cousins.

I never realized how big a loss Garçon was until today. Last year we had the fewest drops.

I hope this team gets better quickly.

It's one game. Yeah, if we'd had Garçon and Jackson we win today - does anyone really believe that? It's a long season people. Act accordingly.

It's still early, but at this point it looks like the FO certainly did not bumble the opportunity to lock up a LTD on a "franchise QB" this past offseason.
Though, he might have another "You like that streak" to try to justify one.
But franchise QB's don't crap the bed for the first quarter of the season, every season.

Stafford took over the game today and beat the Cardinals in the fourth quarter.

Today's games are a small window into a bigger picture of why Stafford's talent rises to a $25M salary while Cousins' does not.

Doesn't mean anyone is wrong. But fans always overreact to a bad loss - myself included. This is particularly true with a home season opener. But we all know - success in a Redskins season opener is not exactly a good benchmark for what kind of season we'll have - is it? That neither means we'll have a winning record, nor a losing one - and that's the point.

It's not necessarily the loss but how Cousins performed with the game still close in the second half that seems instructive.

Pressure to win under duress for Cousins = bad turnovers.

That's the book until he proves otherwise.

He can come back and throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs another week where the other parts are working better.

But it doesn't change the fourth quarter failures that seem to keep happening, especially at home against division opponents.

See Cowboys Week 1 and Giants Game 16 last season.

It's not necessarily the loss but how Cousins performed with the game still close in the second half that seems instructive.

Pressure to win under duress for Cousins = bad turnovers.

That's the book until he proves otherwise.

Problem all day today was that the Redskins were 'in it' for most of the game, not because of Cousins, but in spite of him. We really had no business being within 2 points in the first half. And that was made imminently clear in the 2nd half. Yeah, our WRs really let Kirk down at times, as did the OL - but Wentz had similar challenges and rose to the occasion - and he's a ****ing 2nd year QB. I'm about done with offering up excuses for Captain Kirk. Too often, he looks like a greener than green 2nd LT :(

I put my thoughts over on the other thread (the Eagles v Skins one) but just to reiterate here a little.

I actually came out of the game quite positive and I'm not reading anything into the loss. We're been slow starters for years, predating Gruden and Cousins. Our Magical 2012 season with RGIII started out 3-6 if I recall.

We played badly and hung around well beyond where we should have. The Eagles don't scare me for the next game, if we can get our offense on track we should be able to handle them. Our Defense, despite breaking in new players etc kept us in this game and looked pretty darned good across the board. As they gel they should get better. Not saying we're league leaders, but it already looks leagues better than last years historic awfulness. Gotta nail those 3rd down conversions though!

Watched the Cowboys/Giants game... the Giants looked bad. Their stats look almost the same as ours, but the scoreline much worse. They've been our bogie team lately but I'm not terrified of them just yet.

The 'Boys look good. It's early but they look like division champs. We'll see.

Kirk... Oh Captain My Captain... *sigh*

On the one hand he looked gutsy, he started to string together some drives and at times looked like he might will us to a win despite playing terribly.

On the other hand that Interception was awful (overthrown, Crowder had little chance) and almost had another one in the first half.

Those fumbles... I'm almost more putting those on the dreadful performance of the O-Line. I'd have to see them again, but the first one looked like he was stripped from the blindside? (Correct me if I'm wrong) and the second one looked like he was in throwing motion. That was 50/50 and could have been ruled an incomplete pass. Not much he can do about that.

It's more the overthrown balls that concern me.

I understand that he's learning how to throw to Pryor, he needs to find a synchronisation between his throw distance and Pryor's pace... but to overthrow Crowder, Reed, Davis etc... He should already have their number.

Still... Pryor showed that he has downfield speed and when they do start linking up on those bombs the league better watch out!!!

So... all that leaves me a little mellow after week 1, but strangely optimistic. :D

That real enough for you Boone? ;)

WOWSERS! This bit of trivia made me do a double take...

"—Cousins started his 33rd consecutive game. It is the third-longest such streak for the Redskins since the 1970 merger behind Joe Theismann (60) and Mark Rypien (41)"

Which means if Cousins doesn't miss a game this season he'll be at 48 games consecutive as a starter.

Joe Theismann finished playing in what... 1985? The fact that he and Mark Rypien would be the only Redskin QB's to break 40 consecutive starts in 32 years is an indication of the QB limbo we've been in for so long.

WOWSERS! This bit of trivia made me do a double take...

"—Cousins started his 33rd consecutive game. It is the third-longest such streak for the Redskins since the 1970 merger behind Joe Theismann (60) and Mark Rypien (41)"

Which means if Cousins doesn't miss a game this season he'll be at 48 games consecutive as a starter.

Joe Theismann finished playing in what... 1985? The fact that he and Mark Rypien would be the only Redskin QB's to break 40 consecutive starts in 32 years is an indication of the QB limbo we've been in for so long.

And if he beats it this year, I think we start all over next year in that department.

After yesterday's game, I was questioning the lack of a commitment to the running game especially after we had some decent runs. This is nothing new, but being a numbers guy I decided if I could find a way to get more insight into what we've actually been doing from a play call perspective.

I found this site where someone has gotten all the play by play data from publicly available sources and created files since 2013. I've got access to some cool tools at work, so I took those files, merged them, and loaded them up to run some reports to see what I see. What I have below is a first pass at breaking down our play calls from the 2014-2016 seasons. There is more I want to do with this, but thought I'd throw what I have now to see if it sparks any ideas on how to break it down further. For example, I'd love to throw in some variables of how the score may dictate the calls. Unfortunately, the files don't have that information. I did however try to make an attempt at seeing if the calls changed based on end of half/end of game.

Like I said, I just started and plan to do more. If you have any thoughts on ways to slice the data let me know and I'll see what I can do.
This is a breakdown of all our plays on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down. The left shows pure numbers, the left normalizes the data so you can visualize percentages and then further breaks it down by Distance. When I first looked at overall play calls on first down, I was surprised to see it was almost 50/50. That is one reason why I added the graph with the distance.

I tried to get these side by side, but when doing so it seemed kind of small. If anyone has any ideas on how to play and resize images with a post, let me know.

BasebyDown.jpg BasebyDownandDistance.jpg

The next set filters out 'CrunchTime'. I defined this to be in the last 2 minutes of each half.

NotTimeCrunch_ByDown.jpgNotTimeCrunch_ByDownandDistance.jpg

This is 'CrunchTime' only.

TimeCrunch_ByDown.jpgTimeCrunch_ByDownandDistance.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.