• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Shit - Falcons just announced they've signed Ben Kotwica as their ST coach - wtf?

I am thinking there's a bigger house cleaning going on than we know about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously...wtf? I don't get it since that's been a highlight of the Skins over the past few years. If they are clearing that house they better get rid of of the whole kit and caboodle.

Last edited:
Shit - Falcons just announced they've signed Ben Kotwica as their ST coach - wtf?

I am thinking there's a bigger house cleaning going on than we know about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ironically he wasn't fired and had asked permission to speak with the falcons. I'm wondering since it was a lateral move if we won't at least get a draft pick?

Yep, special teams.

The one unit that performed well in 2018.

If this team could finally draft or sign an EFFECTIVE punt returner this unit would be truly ‘excellent'.

Not too often can we attach a label like that to anything on this team.

Well, before this past season, there were plenty of people, including myself, that wanted Kotwica gone.
Our kickers are what has made ST good. Our return teams are still turrable. Coverage has been good, but mainly due, to the kickers.

Could we wind up with worse? Certainly.
Do we need better? Absolutely.

It's just ironic that the first move is ST.

Ike Hilliard hasn't distinguished himself with the receivers and the secondary is a dumpster fire.

It seems clear Gray didn't have the respect of the players, they felt they could walk all over him and did just that for most of the past 2 years.

You'll get no argument from me concerning the deficiency of Gruden, and the rest of the offensive staff.
And yes, the 1st confirmed move being the STC, isn't a great look.

But I don't care too much how we look doing things, so long as they're the right moves.
Time will tell.

Worked at a place once where the mantra was 'People don't leave jobs, they leave bosses'. I've found that to be pretty accurate over the course of my adult life. So the burning question for me is, if the rumors that multiple coaches 'want out' have any merit, which 'BOSS' is it that is driving coaching talent out of the building?

Gruden?
Or Allen?

Everyone assumes it's Allen. But could it be Jay?

I think it is Jay. Not that Allen is guiltless. Or Snyder.

But people will overlook a great many things in order to be attached to a winner. Which, to date, isn't Gruden.

I can honestly say with my last job that I stayed because of one boss who kept things orderly and just plain done, then left the company after switching programs (previous one ended) because the (then) current boss was a boob who enabled people who were no threat to him, silenced and painted into a corner people who were a challenge to him and was a downright skeeve.

The big problem is Brucie, but he enables those like Gruden and anyone else who is not a threat to him, while making a hostile environment for those who are.

Well, that goes back to how you look at the team.

IMO the players and assistants believe with reason that Gruden and Allen are joined at the hip.

Allen hired Gruden and probably convinced Snyder to give Jay the two year extension.

Allen's relationship with Jay's brother goes back 20 years.

So, Gruden does not have an independent say on personnel and who plays and how much but unlike many other coaches Jay is willing to be led in this manner and ‘stick to the program'.

That doesn't engender respect and loyalty from players or assistants.

So it's not a surprise after a year or two a guy like Tomsula might want to rejoin Fangio in Denver after their time together in SF.

With Callahan he is making close to HC money so at age 60 he may like the ‘coin' here and has been willing to turn a blind eye to the unsavory things going on close by.

Callahan is not a wartime consigliere, to borrow a term. He's part of the enablement, if that's the case with him. The head of the snake has to be cut off. Since Dan won't sell, Brucie (Dan's own enabler) needs to go. As in out of Ashburn. Not the business office, done. Gone. Bye-bye.

The problem is you really can't trust Danny to replace him with someone objective and honest.

If Vance Joseph doesn't get the Bengals HC gig, I would have to think he'd have the inside track for the DC job in NY.

Doesn't matter though. I understand that Snyder and GW supposedly have kissed and made up at some point - but Williams isn't going to forgive OR forget getting dissed and humiliated imho.

Unless the HC position were available to him.

Williams isn't coming here.
I don't see any real interest on the part of either party.

Despite bountygate ( all teams were giving out bounties but NO was dumb enough to put it down on paper), the fact is Williams has been the DC on two Super Bowl teams,the 1999 Titans and 2009 Saints.

He took his suspension and had to work his way back. He might not get another HC slot, but as DC has enough cred to be able to avoid DC.

Not once this year during games did I wish for a new DC like with the previous two bozos. While not perfect, the games to be lacked mostly on the offensive side of the ball. So unless there is a no brainer HC out there, I don't see the need to change that. Maybe replace some of the position coaches. Definitely upgraded player talent which I thought was most deficient

Not once this year during games did I wish for a new DC like with the previous two bozos. While not perfect, the games to be lacked mostly on the offensive side of the ball. So unless there is a no brainer HC out there, I don't see the need to change that. Maybe replace some of the position coaches. Definitely upgraded player talent which I thought was most deficient

Manusky frustrated me so often this year with his lack of pressure late in games. He would go 3-4 defensive series in the 4th Q where the blitz packages that had been working all game would not one called at all.

2) WR - We're in a bind here. Doctson was *improved* in 2018, but lets be honest, any kind of consistent production was going to be an improvement. For a guy who is supposed to be a #1 or at least #2 WR, 44 catches, 500+ yds, and 2 TDs is pretty pathetic. Do we cut bait or double down on his 'potential'? Jamison Crowder had similar #'s but didn't look like the same guy and had by far his worst year as a Redskin, mostly because he was only available for 9 games. What do you do there? Bank that with another offseason of recovery he's once again a difference maker? We literally have major questions with every WR. When your most promising options may be two undrafted free agents (Sims and Quinn), you know you are in trouble - even before asking who's going to be tossing the pigskin for us next season.

I feel like this is the really tricky one to gauge.

When we had no consistent O-Line, where Richardson was playing hurt much of the year and Crowder was sidelined, and with 4 QB's playing under centre (2 of those off the street!) - How do we truly take a measure of how good/bad the WR's were.

Don't get me wrong, they're no where close to an elite unit. It's not a group that will ever strike fear into the hearts of a defense.

But I do wonder what the stats for players like Doctson would have looked like if he'd had a consistent presence throwing the ball. Or what Quinn's number would have been if healthy all year. Or Crowder or Richardson.

I think it's clear we need a true number 1 at least though. But I do think some of the shortfall in this area goes to the fact we never had an consistency across the board on offense, not just at WR.

(I still think Quinn is going to be amazing. LOL I'm buying all his stock and the T-Shirt! - Knowing my luck however... he will be a disaster!)

'But I do wonder what the stats for players like Doctson would have looked like if he'd had a consistent presence throwing the ball. Or what Quinn's number would have been if healthy all year. Or Crowder or Richardson.' Not forgetting that if your grandmother had balls ......

Problem with giving them the benefit of the doubt is that almost none of them have earned it. Crowder is the only WR we have with a history of success in DC. All of the others have a lot to prove (in Doctson's case, that's an extreme understatement).

Coulda, shoulda, woulda. I do understand the impact of the QB carousel. But our WR corps looked pretty damn weak even when Alex was in there. We could point to 'new QB' as a factor too. But the bottom line, we don't look to have any current difference makers on this roster. Ironically, the two most electric players we appear to have are Quinn and Sims. They'd immediately be my #3 and #4 WRs, with potential for one of them to move to #2 .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.