• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Jesus - now Geron Christian likely out for the year with an MCL. The hits just keep coming...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Bulldog is correct. You can't rebuild everywhere at once. It's a process and I am confident we'll see the focus shift to offense in the next couple of drafts.

i don't think he is saying go back a few posts he says we should have fixed the position in the offseason. But like you said it's impossible to fix everything in one offseason. While we haven't ignored it we have focused on fixing the defense for years hopefully and now add some weapons on offense. While keeping a balance.

Jesus - now Geron Christian likely out for the year with an MCL. The hits just keep coming...

It's not just the amount of injuries that's crazy, but how quickly it happens to guys who just started their first snaps.
Quinn, Sims, Christian, maybe others - all with serious injuries after a handful of snaps, practically
We must have the highest "Injury to Snap" ratio in the league.
Seems like playing less would lessen the chance of getting an injury. Not with us.

i don't think he is saying go back a few posts he says we should have fixed the position in the offseason. But like you said it's impossible to fix everything in one offseason. While we haven't ignored it we have focused on fixing the defense for years hopefully and now add some weapons on offense. While keeping a balance.

We're on the same page

I'm curious if there's truth to his comments. IMO Norman isn't doing himself any favors but if the stands are full of opposing jerseys I get why he's frustrated.

The skins need to play better on both sides of the ball for the stands to fill up with burgundy again. He should probably clarify that's what he wants though.

Is the FedEx experience actually a shitty one nowadays?

I don't go to games anymore. Not gonna apologize for it.

Wizards games are an immensely better experience. You want my business, put a better product out there.

Firstly, I watched 90% of it - and that made me laugh since you pronounced a year or two ago that you weren't watching them anymore (but that didn't stop you from commenting and stating your opinion).

It's why I said it.

Finally - I'd be a lot less pissy with my posts if you could wait 15 minutes after a win before gutting the team and starting in on the dire predictions. It's not my place to tell you what to post - post whatever you want (which is exactly what we all do). I'm just saying, don't be surprised that you get pushback when immediately after a huge win, you are crushing the team.

Dire predictions? Right, because a complete collapse down the stretch is so out of question with this team, and a QB who cannot complete a pass more than 10 yards down the field. Give me a break. I was calling for Alex Smith to get benched during the game because his performance was terrible...he has done one thing all season to get praise, and everyone wants to suggest that's good enough. Well, here's a dire prediction for you. If Alex Smith does not get demonstrably better, we lose 5 of the last 7 games.

Call it negative nancy, call it ingrained in my psyche as others may suggest, I call it reality. I'm not a dreamer, I'm a realist. Am I able to come away from a win excited about it, but still be critical of the poor play? Well apparently not, according to you...time frame notwithstanding.

That's ridiculous.
You know what's ridiculous? The expectation that Alex Smith will be better than the cast surrounding him after giving up a talented young player for him. When he saw success in San Fran, he had all kinds of tools around him, but got benched for a 2nd year player. In KC he put up crazy numbers, with one of the most talented offenses this league has seen coached by one of the best QB coaches in the history of the game...only to be benched for a 2nd year QB. I called it before the season, I like that Smith doesn't make mistakes, but how good can he be with such a lack of talent drastically different than anytime he's seen success. He lacks weapons, and because of it...he's not a good QB. He does just enough not to lose a game. I don't care who you are, if you accept that type of mediocrity in your line of business, I have to wonder how successful you'll be.

I admit, I got sold that bill of goods that Smith is a push for Cousins, but I questioned how good he could be without a legit WR, or RB. Well, at this point in the season, I have to think I'd much rather have Cousins, risky decisions and all. And I'd much rather have seen the front office fire Gruden to keep McVay, but I have the luxury of retrospect.

It seems too many fans are more comfortable complaining about our shortcomings, than enjoying our successes. Too many find it more familiar to be negative, than positive. It's a defense mechanism people use to keep from having there hopes dashed. While it's understandable, I personally don't find it useful.

I could try to sell you on my successes, and the wonderful relationships I have outside of a message board, the reputation for being happy, a man of service, and a fun guy to be around...but none of that matters here since I have been beaten for 20 years by this team, and I've used this site as my dumping ground.

The truth is, I'm a realist...and I refuse to buy into the current bill of goods sold on you guys until I see something different...like...I don't know, 10 wins?

If we win 10 games this year, I give you my word, I will not say another negative thing about the Skins until next season when we go from winning the division to regressing to another 7 or 8 win season because we have a poor QB, and mediocre coach, and we're wasting talent on the defense because we are continuing with those guys.

Until we win 10 games, the reality is we are not any different than the 20 games below .500 we've been for the past 20 years, and I will criticize this team when they win or lose...because well, that's what this site is for. To discuss the Redskins...good, and BAD. Alex Smith? Not good. Jay Gruden? Mediocre.

You know what's ridiculous? The expectation that Alex Smith will be better than the cast surrounding him after giving up a talented young player for him. When he saw success in San Fran, he had all kinds of tools around him, but got benched for a 2nd year player.

A player who had one, maybe two good seasons and then settled in to mediocrity. Remove his protest and subsequent collusion from his career arc and Kapernick would most likely be out of the league for good by now.

In KC he put up crazy numbers, with one of the most talented offenses this league has seen coached by one of the best QB coaches in the history of the game...only to be benched for a 2nd year QB.

He wasn't benched, KC just decided to go with the bigger talent after last season. And all things considered, I doubt anyone could argue it was anything but the right call. Mahomes is lighting it up every week.

He lacks weapons, and because of it...he's not a good QB.

Partially correct. He DOES lack weapons, but that doesn't make him a bad QB. If isn't if A, then B. He's doing pretty well for the Mother Hubbard's Cupboard of skill players he has to work with. No one in the league, Brady Brees and Rodgers included, could make chicken soup out of the Skins chickenshit at wideout.

It's not just the amount of injuries that's crazy, but how quickly it happens to guys who just started their first snaps.
Quinn, Sims, Christian, maybe others - all with serious injuries after a handful of snaps, practically
We must have the highest "Injury to Snap" ratio in the league.
Seems like playing less would lessen the chance of getting an injury. Not with us.

It's almost as if cruel Fate just says "you" with some guys. Didn't Guice do his ACL after only six carries? To me that's just snakebit.

A player who had one, maybe two good seasons and then settled in to mediocrity. Remove his protest and subsequent collusion from his career arc and Kapernick would most likely be out of the league for good by now.

Exactly, and that guy replaced Smith in San Fran.

He wasn't benched, KC just decided to go with the bigger talent after last season. And all things considered, I doubt anyone could argue it was anything but the right call. Mahomes is lighting it up every week.

Potatoes, Potatoes. Mahomes was chosen over Smith. Had he not been traded he'd be sitting on the bench or released altogether. Wait! Released? Yup...likely. You mean we didn't need to give up a promising young CB for him? Probably not.

Partially correct. He DOES lack weapons, but that doesn't make him a bad QB. If isn't if A, then B. He's doing pretty well for the Mother Hubbard's Cupboard of skill players he has to work with. No one in the league, Brady Brees and Rodgers included, could make chicken soup out of the Skins chickenshit at wideout.

Not being able to do anything without weapons around you, or only succeeding with a full array of talent to support you, does not bode well for him. A good QB elevates the team around him...Alex Smith has not done that, for certain...in most of his career. He's been good because of what is around him.

However, Kirk Cousins threw for over 4k yards, 27 TD's last year. Yes, he had 13 INT's, but when you don't have weapons, and you have an ego like Kirk's...you're going to see those. But 27 TD's with essentially the same WR crew we have now?

Exactly, and that guy replaced Smith in San Fran.

Shortsighted, wrong decision IMHO. Kaepernick only enjoyed the brief success he did because he was one of the forerunners of the RPO - a QB who threw just well enough to keep the secondary honest but whose real weapon was his legs. As these cycles always go, it didn't take NFL DC's long to counter that. Today only extremely accurate passers like Mahomes, or possibly Wentz - although in his case I think it's more scheme than raw talent - can eviscerate defenses the way Colin did then, You need only look to Marcus Mariota for proof that average accuracy produces average, at best, results.

Potatoes, Potatoes. Mahomes was chosen over Smith. Had he not been traded he'd be sitting on the bench or released altogether. Wait! Released? Yup...likely. You mean we didn't need to give up a promising young CB for him? Probably not.

He would have been riding the pine, but I doubt Reid releases a proven QB who is about the best insurance policy you could ask for in a league where superstars are just one play from being sidelined for the season and frequently are. Any team that came calling would still have had to ante up, even if Smith demanded his walking papers once he saw the writing on the wall.

However, Kirk Cousins threw for over 4k yards, 27 TD's last year. Yes, he had 13 INT's, but when you don't have weapons, and you have an ego like Kirk's...you're going to see those. But 27 TD's with essentially the same WR crew we have now?

Much as I was on the keep Kirk train, I'll take Smith's game management and noticeable lack of those "WTF?" throws over Cousins numbers. With the defense we usually field (couple games notwithstanding) a punt and try again next series while gradually flipping the field on teams is a good thing, as we have seen. Not the prettiest or the best formula for wins, but it works nonetheless.

Our offense is more prolific this year than last year. Let that sink in. It's not because of QB play - but the fact remains. More yards per game of offense this season so far. Nearly identical point averages. And more wins.

Our offense is more prolific this year than last year. Let that sink in. It's not because of QB play - but the fact remains. More yards per game of offense this season so far. Nearly identical point averages. And more wins.

Yeah, it'd be nice to see what Kirk would have been able to do with a good run game to support him. Looks like we know what Alex Smith can do.

The problem I have with your argument isn't that you're criticizing Alex Smith. It's that you don't seem to care about context. You view factors that are influencing his success (or lack of it) as 'excuses' - which is just a dismissively convenient way of not having to acknowledge them as real factors. He's brand new to Jay's offense. He's brand new to the players around him. His offensive cast has been different (on both the line and at skill positions) every single week this season. Yes - Kirk dealt with that last year - but he had years of learning the offense and familiarity/comfort with many of the players around him to fall back on. Smith also has a decade of highly competent QB play on his resume. You have already said that the only reason he 'won elsewhere' is because of the supporting cast around him. I'm sorry, but that's just a ridiculous argument. There's not a QB in the league that can consistently get his team to the playoffs, no matter how good the cast around him, without having some serious skills.

Smith is a super solid QB. I doubt you could find a GM or talent evaluator in the entire NFL who'd support your view of him. He's certainly not lighting it up right now. But dismissing his entire career as a fluke, and taking an 8 game stretch in a brand new offense with different starters around him every week and using that to determine that he can't play the position and is doomed to failure - I don't buy it and I don't think any reasonable person would.

Last edited:
The problem I have with your argument isn't that you're criticizing Alex Smith. It's that you don't seem to care about context.

You say this often as if I really don't see the whole picture. You use this argument frequently...but I am using context. I am looking at his entire career to tell you once again, he is not a "very solid" QB without talent around him to make him better. Some QB's can lift their team to be better, Aaron Rodgers is a prime example. W/out him, they're just not that good. Yeah, I know he's special, but he lifts his team. Alex Smith isn't lifting anything.

San Fran
2005 - Ranked 45th QB in the NFL
2006 - 16th in first full season starting
2007 - ranked 45th split time w/ Trent Dilfer
2008 - IR
2009 - 24th
2010 - 27th
2011 - 19th
2012 - 32nd
KC
2013 - 17th
2014 - 20th
2015 - 20th
2016 - 22nd
2017 - 8th

See you want to talk about context, well, here's the context you seem to want to ignore...and what I have said from the very beginning...Alex Smith has never been able to succeed without tremendous talent at the skills position and a solid OL. He's got a good OL here, but an underwhelming stock of talent to make him better. Without it, he'll be no more than what we've seen. And I would not be a bit surprised to see us drop 4-5 more games this year because of our lack of QB play.

You say this often as if I really don't see the whole picture. You use this argument frequently...but I am using context. I am looking at his entire career to tell you once again, he is not a "very solid" QB without talent around him to make him better. Some QB's can lift their team to be better, Aaron Rodgers is a prime example. W/out him, they're just not that good. Yeah, I know he's special, but he lifts his team. Alex Smith isn't lifting anything.

See you want to talk about context, well, here's the context you seem to want to ignore...and what I have said from the very beginning...Alex Smith has never been able to succeed without tremendous talent at the skills position and a solid OL. He's got a good OL here, but an underwhelming stock of talent to make him better. Without it, he'll be no more than what we've seen. And I would not be a bit surprised to see us drop 4-5 more games this year because of our lack of QB play.

I'm a little late to this conversation, but it's a conversation I've also had with other people.

El, let me preface this by saying that I agree with you regarding this team's ability to hang with the big dogs. If we were playing LA, ATL, or New Orleans this weekend in the 1st round of the playoffs, I would have little faith that we're going to do what's needed to win the game. Alex is not going to be the QB that throws for obscene numbers on a regular basis. He's not going to throw the ball around and set records.

One thing I would like to bring up is how many plays we've left out there. The plays are there and were not executing. That can be improved upon. Stroman's pick started our drive in the Redzone and we settled for a FG. IF we convert that to a TD, the score is 20-3. Smith missed Davis, if that's converted he likely scores... the score is 27-3 and Smith's stat line jumps to 250 yds and 2 tds. 1 incomplete pass. A holding penalty on a screen pass negates an additional 40+ yards.... then we dont call another RB screen the entire game!

We're 6-3 and we have plenty of room for reasonable improvement. Not asking some dramatic and crazy Joe Gibbs 5 in a row or we dont go type scenario.... All we need to do is complete 2 additional passes per game, and we're talking about a completely different offense.

San Fran
2005 - Ranked 45th QB in the NFL
2006 - 16th in first full season starting
2007 - ranked 45th split time w/ Trent Dilfer
2008 - IR
2009 - 24th
2010 - 27th
2011 - 19th
2012 - 32nd
KC
2013 - 17th
2014 - 20th
2015 - 20th
2016 - 22nd
2017 - 8th

Brian, you're proving my point brother. In every year but 1 in his San Francisco career, the team didn't even break .500 and were mostly far worse than that. You know why? The teams sucked. Smith's worst production/play was during those seasons. When he got talent around him, his production radically improved. You're arguing 'see - if he were any good, he would've been able to lift those shitty SF teams out of the gutter and win there'. You're essentially arguing that when Alex was on bad teams, he lacked the talent to 'lift them' to a better record so it was his fault they sucked, while then going on to say that when he was on good teams, the only reason they won was because of everyone other than Alex Smith. Aaron Rodgers - you're seriously going to give him as your example of who Smith should be expected to be? And the irony that you did give him as an example is that, despite having Aaron Rodgers lifting the shit out of them all these years, the Green Bay Packers have gotten to just 1 Super Bowl in a decade with him. So even having a transformational QB under center isn't enough to 'lift' a team to greatness.

If you assess Smith's individual ability at QB fairly, you'll likely come to the conclusion that:
1) He's an efficient game manager.
2) He's an accurate West Coast QB (62.5% completions in his career, 65% if you only look at his KC/DC years)
3) He rarely makes mistakes

That's who he is and we knew that. Even if you look at this season, it's nowhere near as bad as folks are characterizing it. Smith is completing 64% of his passes. He's thrown 10 TD passes, rushed for 1, and thrown 3 picks. He's on pace to have 3600+ yds passing on the year. In 2018, we have been a run dominant offense - everyone recognizes that. But Smith has not been a disaster under center. He just hasn't.

I'm not trying to put a lipstick on a pig. Our passing attack doesn't scare people. But when you look at who we have been able to suit up WITH Smith week after week after week - there's not been a lot of help to offer him. It's not anyone's fault. I would simply argue that Smith has done a reasonably good job under center this year given the circumstances, and that it can get a lot better with a) better WR and TE talent, b) OL talent and play, c) team health, and d) more time together in this offense.

I don't know if we'll continue surprising all of the NFC East experts and win the division from here. But where we differ is that, if we don't, I think it's far more likely that an already devastating list of injuries will be much more likely to blame than the play of our new QB.

Last edited:
I could try to sell you on my successes, and the wonderful relationships I have outside of a message board, the reputation for being happy, a man of service, and a fun guy to be around...but none of that matters here since I have been beaten for 20 years by this team, and I've used this site as my dumping ground.

The truth is, I'm a realist...and I refuse to buy into the current bill of goods sold on you guys until I see something different...like...I don't know, 10 wins?

If we win 10 games this year, I give you my word, I will not say another negative thing about the Skins until next season when we go from winning the division to regressing to another 7 or 8 win season because we have a poor QB, and mediocre coach, and we're wasting talent on the defense because we are continuing with those guys.

Until we win 10 games, the reality is we are not any different than the 20 games below .500 we've been for the past 20 years, and I will criticize this team when they win or lose...because well, that's what this site is for. To discuss the Redskins...good, and BAD. Alex Smith? Not good. Jay Gruden? Mediocre.

Oh my brother from another mother. Let me splain something to you. I do not doubt your successes. Everybody has those. I don't doubt that you have wonderful relationships outside of this board. I know I do, as well. I too, am known as a happy guy. So, you don't have a corner on that market. I do limit my "service" to family and friends. Almost exclusively. And with zero regret. And I'm more fun than a hot bath on a cold rainy day.

And I too, am a realist. Though apparently, we differ on the meaning of the word.

I know you're not the only one that has allowed the past, speaking of the teams past, to beat you into pile of negative submission. As I stated previously, it's the easy path. Most people choose easy. So, you're just swimming with the current in that regard. That you choose to be more constantly vocal in your misery, is certainly your choice. It's become your schtick, in a way. You kinda demonstrate one of my points, perfectly. One or two lines acknowledging a positive. Following by countless lines of your predictably negative manifesto.

But like so many others that claim reality rests solely with them, you fail to realize that many just don't choose to spend the majority of their time here complaining about things they have absolutely no control of, whatsoever. Sure, we can discuss things. But usually it's no discussion. Just a battle trying to prove who's right. Then spending even more time peacocking when you think you are. And that's fine too. It's all great entertainment.

Also, I have not had a bill of goods sold on me. I simply choose to allow the possibility of the teams success to occupy my mind, moreso than the possibility of failure. Since, as previously stated, it's all out of my hands anyway. THATS reality. And at the end of the day, I accept whatever transpires, since I had nothing to do with it. And couldn't change things if I wanted. THATS reality.

Funny too that, 10 wins will silence the demon...………………….until. Smidge of positive, buried under a wheel barrel of negative. I colored your statement to provide the example.

So, go ahead and do your schtick. But please stop imagining that you're the only one who sees problems. Some of us simply choose to enjoy everything about a season that we can, and then join in more fervently with the piss and moaners once a season is actually over.

You shouldn't allow it all to get so deep under your skin, my brother.
None of knows for sure what's gonna happen. THATS reality.

I also want to reiterate, we don't want this site to be a 'Rah Rah' forum where only homeristic predictions of glory are encouraged. It's not about that. We're here to argue, disagree, and engage in opposing conversation as much as anything else. One of the things I've noted over the years is that when staff or owners express strong opinions, sometimes it gets viewed as trying to push the site in one direction of an argument or another. Trust me - it ain't that. Brother @Om has been uber negative this year by his own admission (not his norm). So these arguments are being had by numerous Skins fans everywhere. Truth be told, I was muttering more than a few expletives while watching the game at work last Sunday. The idea that I'm loving our offense and am guaranteeing a win every weekend - not so much.

There's plenty of room for everyone's opinions, no matter what they are. I think what we have to watch out for (me as much as anyone) is getting so passionate about our beliefs/opinions that we cross over the line to harsh, mocking, or belittling of the other guys/gals ideas. I've done it. We've nearly all done it. And as @Henry (who's always been a little bit smarter, nicer, and good-looking than the rest of us) said the other day, it's just a game. And we should be friends first, football combatants second.

Shortsighted, wrong decision IMHO. Kaepernick only enjoyed the brief success he did because he was one of the forerunners of the RPO - a QB who threw just well enough to keep the secondary honest but whose real weapon was his legs. As these cycles always go, it didn't take NFL DC's long to counter that. Today only extremely accurate passers like Mahomes, or possibly Wentz - although in his case I think it's more scheme than raw talent - can eviscerate defenses the way Colin did then, You need only look to Marcus Mariota for proof that average accuracy produces average, at best, results.

Smith is a poor mans Kaepernick. Where the 49ers went wrong was feuding with Harbaugh for no reason and ultimately firing him. Alex would not have fared well in that situation either, with Jim Tomsula taking over and losing all their talent.

When you break their careers down by per throw percentages, Kaep is better than Smith in every category sans completion %, which is only because Smith checks down at an alarming rate. Int%, TD%, YPA, you name it, Kaep is better. Add in his legs being more dangerous and he's clearly the better player.

If you look at 2016, Kaep probably had a better season considering his best option was Jeremy Kerley, and Smith was throwing to Maclin Kelce and Hill with 4 years in Reids offense. Kaeps 2016 might even be better than Smiths 2018 also of he doesn't pick it up. Kaep only started 11 games that year, and still put up 16 TDs with a 90 passer rating throwing to a bunch of guys that that can't even stay on a team, and Kaep also averaged 7 yards per carry. He was the only skill player on that offense that belonged in the NFL by seasons end, so his numbers were impressive considering the circumstance.

Everyone started to downplay how much the 49ers fell apart around Kaepernick because they wanna hammer away at him for kneeling, but Smith would not have fared well either with nobody to throw to, Tomsula running the team, and a defense giving up 30 ppg. I honestly think Kaep handled it better than Smith would have. He had a terrible season in 2015, but bounced back in 2016 with play that trumps 2 of Smiths last 3 seasons.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 8, Members: 0, Guests: 8)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.