• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

The Redskins defense and Peterson deserve some credit, they were able to win the game today without a quarterback.

3 turnovers and shutting Elliott down this one shouldn't have been close and wouldn't have been if Alex Smith could hit the broad side of a barn in the red zone.

Alex, anytime you want to start to become one of the reasons we win rather than someone whose performance we need to overcome, it would be much appreciated.

The Redskins defense and Peterson deserve some credit, they were able to win the game today without a quarterback.

3 turnovers and shutting Elliott down this one shouldn't have been close and wouldn't have been if Alex Smith could hit the broad side of a barn in the red zone.

Alex, anytime you want to start to become one of the reasons we win rather than someone whose performance we need to overcome, it would be much appreciated.

Missed you in chat today! He's definitely not in sync yet. There are excuses - poor pass pro and a lack of weapons - but yeah, he has to be a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very happy right now. That is a game we have seen the Redskins lose many, many times. There was probably not a Redskin fan watching that thought he would miss that kick. But he did and it means a Redskins win and first place!

Great job by the defense all day. Yeah, those last 2 drives weren't great, but they stuffed Elliott all day. They took away the only weapon Dallas has. They made them try to beat them their weakness. As close as they may have come, they didn't.

As for the offense, Adrian Peterson is showing why he is a hall of famer. That guy is amazing. He's doing so much with so little. He is just waiting for plays to develop and making guys miss. He turns losses into no gains, and no gains into 7 yards. It's unreal what he is doing.

Thank you God. Thank you AD. Thank you defense. And we have the right Gruden.

Today's 33 rushing yards was the 2nd fewest rushing yards Ezekiel Elliott was held to in his entire NFL career (8 yards vs Denver in 2017) #Redskins

we have got get better pass pro and our recs need to be better, but I at least got to watch highlites even though some asshole at the network in canada put the rams game on even though the TV guide said it was supposed to be the skins game. I already sent them an email expressing my displeasure

Love that we got the win over our arch rival.

But going forward, Jay has to get off of the whole "we're running on every first and ten the whole ball game" if the offense is to ever get off the ground.

It's absolutely mind boggling that we have two of the best receiving TEs in the league and he can't figure out how to incorporate either into the pass game. Hell, Jordan Reed is healthy and still spends more time on the sideline than he does on the field.

When even the broadcast crew is talking about the need to pass on first down because everyone knows a run is coming....your stuck in a bad rut/trend playcalling.

Love that we got the win over our arch rival.

But going forward, Jay has to get off of the whole "we're running on every first and ten the whole ball game" if the offense is to ever get off the ground.

It's absolutely mind boggling that we have two of the best receiving TEs in the league and he can't figure out how to incorporate either into the pass game. Hell, Jordan Reed is healthy and still spends more time on the sideline than he does on the field.

When even the broadcast crew is talking about the need to pass on first down because everyone knows a run is coming....your stuck in a bad rut/trend playcalling.

I try not to be negative after a win, but you are correct. I'm watching the game and listening to Romo call better plays than Gruden. I understand it's easier when you don't have the responsibility of a bad decision. But good grief Gruden has no feel for the game. The last drive was particularly mind boggling. If you just want to run the clock and make them use timeouts, then run the ball. Don't even call that pass play on 3rd and have your QB inexplicably run out of bounds. If you want to win, mix in a play action pass. And not on 3rd down when everyone expects it.

When your offense gets the ball back, your job is to keep the ball from the other team. That's the only way they can win is if they get the ball. I'm not saying go out there and call 3 pass plays and end with Smith throwing 3 incomplete passes. But what I am saying is don't be so predictable and have some guts to go out and win the game. Stop hoping the other team will be the one to mess up and not win. Go out and win the game yourself.

Missed you in chat today! He's definitely not in sync yet. There are excuses - poor pass pro and a lack of weapons - but yeah, he has to be a lot better.

Coupla thoughts on this...

I can't deny that Smith looks out of synch, but to be fair to Dallas they are a good Defence, currently ranking #6 in Passing Yards per Game, #2 in Points Allowed per game, #3 in Yards per game. ESPN have them ranked [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 0[/URL] in total D.

(just to put that in perspective... Skins are [URL=https://www.bgobsession.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 4[/URL] in Pass per game, #7 in Points allowed per game and #5 in Yards per game.... we're ranked #1 in total D. :D)

So that Defense isn't a pushover.

But that said, we should have scored more than 13 points. 1 TD and 2 FG's is dreadful output, especially considering the field position that the Defense left us in on more than one occasion.

It's going to be our Offense and whether it can click which can limit our ceiling this year. Optimistic Knighty is hoping that with Crowder, Richardson and Thompson back we can at least raise ourselves to average again. (We're currently 28th on Total Offense). I thought our D would take time to bed in, but we're really looking like the real deal this year. But the D can only do so much, especially if the Offense isn't giving them any decent rest (which is leading to late game comebacks by our opponents).

Still 10 games to go, and if Gru and Smith can turn this offence around we could really be going somewhere. Big IF.

Because our slate is looking a lot easier than it looked in the off season.

The Giants look terrible.... we should win those two.
The Falcons look a shadow of their former selves, so that's a possible win there too.
The Buccs are a mess on the verge of sacking their coach according to my brother who's a fan. We should win that one.
Houston could be a toss up game.
Then the Boys again in Dallas, which we COULD win, but likely they might get the revenge game.
Be nice if we could split the Eagles games.
Titans and the Jags are beatable

A 10-6 record AT LEAST is achievable with that slate.

But I do feel it all hinges on our Offense stepping up. We don't need it to be world class, but get us to average and let the Defense take care of the rest.

Side note: How many years have we been bemoaning the lack of a run game.... and this year we have a good one and it's the passing letting us down. *sigh*

Side-side-note: Seeing what Alex is doing so far this year.... should we be drafting a QB this year?

I think there's an overall understanding that our passing attack is weak. The fans and mediots see it, and so obviously does the coaching staff. What Alex is being asked to do is quite a bit different than what he did in KC. He's struggling to adjust. And his unfamiliarity with our receiving weapons has been been made exponentially more difficult by a rotating cast of players including guys who were working at Walmart a month ago. Pass pro has been inexplicably spotty at best.

On the other hand, we stumbled onto a giant gold nugget in AP. Gone are the complaints that Gruden won't commit to the run. Now the narrative is that he's running too much. Gruden's riding AP like his favorite mule.

What's that gotten us? 4 wins in our first 6 games, equalling our best start since 1996 when Norv Turner had them at 7-1 before going 2-6 down the stretch and missing the playoffs. Win against the Giants next week and that's the best start we'll have had in 22 years.

And it's Gruden's playcalling and approach that's gotten us there.

I get the complaints and anxiety. Our offense is almost a liability right now. But I think there's a method to the madness. Gruden is playing Moneyball. He knows we have 2 advantages over our opponents. We've got a resurgent, powerful RB in AP. And we've got one hell of a defense. His playcalling right now is predicated on not making mistakes and forcing the other guys to make them.

The Redskins through 6 games are tied for #4 for takeaways with 11 takeaways (4 INTs and 7 forced fumbles).

They Redskins are #2 in the league in turnovers, having thrown just 2 INTs with 3 fumbles..

So far in 2018, the Redskins are rushing the ball more often than in 2017 (roughly 46% of the time vs. 41% in 2017). Gruden is buying time. He's trying to give Alex Smith time to adjust. He's trying to give Alex time to mesh with his offense. He's trying to give Alex time to mesh with the players around him. He's relying on the better than average rushing attack and defense to eke out wins while he does that. One of the reasons Gruden has pretty much given Smith a pass, failing to criticize him even when it's warranted (like after yesterday's game) is because limiting Smith's exposure is THE PLAN.

We don't like the plan, but there's no denying that right now - more often than not, it's working. We've beaten two really good teams in Green Bay and Carolina. We just beat a pretty good one in Dallas. And of course, we beat a bad team in Arizona.

If you accept the above assessment of what's gotten us to this point, there might be cause for some serious optimism going forward. If Smith settles down, pass pro improves, and he starts getting some of our better receiving talent back (Richardson, Crowder, Thompson, possibly Quinn and/or Sims) or we add a top tier WR before the trade deadline, you could see offensive production really take off. A couple good signs yesterday even with a very flawed performance from Smith? No INTs and he spread the ball around to 6 different players, including several to Josh Doctson.

I think it's likely Gruden will continue focusing on a pounding run game (yes, even rushing on 1st down almost exclusively) until Smith starts showing signs of comfortability, and/or he gets enough weapons back to have a more reasonable chance of having an above average passing attack.

I'm not arguing that this approach doesn't deserve criticism. I'm arguing that it's not happening in a vacuum, that Gruden knows exactly what he's doing, it's a calculated risk every weekend, but that so far, it's worked more often than not.

Well, I'll stop short of saying Gruden knows exactly what he's doing. Injury and Smith's unfamiliarity with the revolving door of receivers, combined with good run results, have dictated that we run more. If you can win, like we are, while still learning to play together, then there is great upside to it all.

We need to avoid the @NY Blues next week, and keep things inching forward. We'll eventually have our actual starters Richardson/Crowder/Thompson on the field at the same time. Smith will get more comfortable too.

Would also like to note, that even though we all know we need an upgrade at LG, we did much better yesterday with Lauvoa back at LG, and Chase back at center.

Was talking to some Cowboys fans today, clients of mine and we were discussing the fact neither team has number 1 wideout and that it all comes down to stopping the run. We stuffed Dallas's O-line right in the gut all damn day yesterday. Yeah the offense needs work, but if that defense shows up every week, we're going to have a chance to win. Right now I'll avoid posting any really negative thoughts about our offense because F it, we won, I'm going to enjoy it for a few days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.