• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

As much as I think Manusky is in over his head and is an awful coordinator, I think these next 2 weeks will be the real test. Normally, you would say the first 2 weeks would be the test against good offenses. But the bar for him is so low, the test will come against these bad offenses. The Bears have only scored 1 TD all year. The Giants are one of the few teams that look like more of a mess than the Redskins. If this guy can't coach a defense against those two team, he shouldn't be allowed on the plane back from NJ. Or maybe he should and then can him after he gets lit up by the Patriots the next week. Either way, if he blows against those 2 terrible offenses, he needs to be out immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, if they do can Manusky, what's the move.

Tomsula to DC?
Rob Ryan to DC?

Or, Rex Ryan as DC?

Wouldn't scrap the 3-4 in season. The 2 Ryan's, especially Rex, has a better understanding of how to run it.

Battles are won before they are fought.

The penalties, mental mistakes make it hard for me to believe that the results won't be any different until the process changes.

The process of adequately preparing to play a 60 minute game is something that eludes this group.

We can talk about turning the page to think about Chicago.

But if the right side of the OL plays an undisciplined game and the secondary continues to miss assignments and have their ‘captain' Josh Norman blame everyone else but himself for the problems the results will be similar.

Don't get me wrong the Redskins will win some games this year because there are other teams that have many of the same ills and staffs that seem equally ill equipped to instill discipline and evince preparation.

The difference is those coaches and staffs churn year to year.

Except here.

In Baltimore the Ravens hit during scrimmages to the point of being fined by the NFL but they seem to have a fairly healthy roster.

During the camp and preseason we don't hit anyone and by Week 2 we have a MASH ward here.

Correlation?

When seeing that New England and Green Bay do the same thing than perhaps it isn't such a surprise after all.

All 3 teams are 2-0.

The fact guys like Guice and Reed get hurt during camp and preseason may be more an issue specific to them and not a reason to bubble wrap the entire team.

Last edited:
So, if they do can Manusky, what's the move.

Tomsula to DC?
Rob Ryan to DC?

Or, Rex Ryan as DC?

Wouldn't scrap the 3-4 in season. The 2 Ryan's, especially Rex, has a better understanding of how to run it.

I don't know if Rex wants a demotion. He would probably only take a head coaching job. I've always thought for in-season firings, you just promote in house so that you aren't teaching a whole new system during the season. And yes, I understand things need to change. But you have to remember it's not just the scheme and philosophy, it's the terminology of the defensive play book and the play calls and signals. So I still say you promote from within if you get rid of him during the season.

Something is going to need to change though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The root is lack of execution not necessarily the scheme first.

We have 4-3 personnel but that alignment won't solve the issues in the secondary and the physical decline of Josh Norman.

If the record gets to 2-8 or something like that we need to consider cutting Norman outright.

He is one of the forces on the team that is resisting the coaches even when they are trying to do the right thing.

We don't need that on a young team where leaders need to be better role models.

Notice that Dallas used to have players like Norman. But when Jones' son got serious about personnel they jettisoned these guys and now have a hungry younger team.

The few vets on the team are solid citizens like Zac Martin, Jason Witten, and Sean Lee.

Last edited:

Would it even matter? Has the team ever had suitable 3-4 personnel?

Would it even matter? Has the team ever had suitable 3-4 personnel?

Some. We don't really have the personnel for either, right now. It's just easier to stick with as much as possible when making an in season move, IMHO.

4-3 alignment as a talking point makes sense heading into 2020.

The four man line could be:

Kerrigan
Allen
Payne
Ioannidis

That puts Ryan back to the position he played in college and is best suited for.

Allen and Payne would be an ideal combo in the 4-3 at DT.

Ioannidis also started out life as a DE.

At linebacker I would move Ryan Anderson to Strongside. A good tackler with lateral quickness. At 6'2 and 252 he's the ideal size.

Holcomb is the prototype for middle backer.

Weak side could be Hamilton, Brailford or a draft pick in 2020.

Sweat could be a hybrid DE and WLB.

Yeah, that should be the 2020 plan.

The next week plan is, find a way to beat the friggin Bears.

4-3 alignment as a talking point makes sense heading into 2020.

The four man line could be:

Kerrigan
Allen
Payne
Ioannidis

That puts Ryan back to the position he played in college and is best suited for.

Allen and Payne would be an ideal combo in the 4-3 at DT.

Ioannidis also started out life as a DE.

At linebacker I would move Ryan Anderson to Strongside. A good tackler with lateral quickness. At 6'2 and 252 he's the ideal size.

Holcomb is the prototype for middle backer.

Weak side could be Hamilton, Brailford or a draft pick in 2020.

Sweat could be a hybrid DE and WLB.

Most unpopular take of the day? Trade Kerrigan this offseason. He would have significant value and he is on the downside of his career. At 31 years of age, he can still play, but is not elite (if he ever was) and it's all downhill from here. That's the kind of unpopular move the Patriots would make.

But the Redskins? They'll hold onto him, you know, because 'fans like him', he's a company guy and is glad to star in your 'hype' videos. Meanwhile, his sack #'s and production will continue to decline until, 4 years from now, he'll finally retire.

He's a perfect example of a player we should be replacing with a high draft pick NOW. Not waiting until he's truly unable to get the job done.

Patriots would have traded him two years ago!

The Redskins don't release many players that go on to do things for other teams but we haven't caught up with the other side of the coin, managing our roster to get value in trades, etc.

We over value our own talent and hold onto Kirk Cousins, Trent and others when it is time to move on.

That's a Bruce thing.

He thought this team after finishing 7-9 with injuries would be 11-5 with players coming back.

What he failed to appreciate is Jordan Reed, Derrius Guice, and perhaps Dunbar and some others on D are injury prone and likely to go down again.

We should have found a younger TE over the last 3 years.

Davis was a great super sub as a receiver but at 35 he doesn't block and is now more of a situational player.

The funny thing is, if I posted that suggestion on Twitter, I'd get called an idiot, even by guys like Keim. So I won't post it. But it's not a crazy idea by any means.

The Redskins have winnable games in 4 of the next 5 contests. Whether this season is totally lost is going to be determined by how they stand up to Chicago, the Giants, the Dolphins, and the 49ers.

Despite those team's glaring flaws, we know that this team is always capable of losing when you don't believe they should.

We're going to learn a lot over the next 5 weeks.

The funny thing is, if I posted that suggestion on Twitter, I'd get called an idiot, even by guys like Keim. So I won't post it. But it's not a crazy idea by any means.

Well, you saw what I posted after the game yesterday and it was surprisingly split - some were supportive of cleaning out the lockers of all of those players and others wanted to keep some. Even then, most everyone was in favor of jettisoning at least four of those players. I was plesantly surprised.

The Redskins have winnable games in 4 of the next 5 contests. Whether this season is totally lost is going to be determined by how they stand up to Chicago, the Giants, the Dolphins, and the 49ers.

Despite those team's glaring flaws, we know that this team is always capable of losing when you don't believe they should.

We're going to learn a lot over the next 5 weeks.

My take...

Chicago - L (Monday night games create unknown allergies for the team)
NYG - ? (Division rivalries are always unpredictable)
Miami - W (But you never know when a downtrodden team wants that first win)
SF - L (Kyle wants a win over Dan in the worst way)

My $0.02.

I don't know that beating the Giants or Miami is going to prove anything.

UNLESS the WAY we beat them is through crisp execution and better preparation and focus.

A 17-14 win over the Dolphins where it's a comedy of errors with turnovers galore and we simply survive by being the best of the worst doesn't move the needle.

BTW - New England does not subscribe to any of the third party scouting services such as the one McCloughan runs.

They do it all in-house.

Keim is a decent enough reporter but when you ask him about moves the team can make to improve he only brings up the problems with making a trade to ship Trent out or cutting Norman.

If you listen to him it would take 100 years of very small moves to improve the team and move forward.

I agree with the aggressive approach McVay and Reid take on personnel which follow what Belichick has been doing for 20 years.

When Brandin Cooks was productive but not quite a great fit tendency wise in the offense, Belichick didn't hold onto him for another 2 years and bemoan the lack of fit.

He turned around and traded him for a #1 pick from LA.

The Trent Williams fiasco would never have been allowed to carry on for this long.

The real loser there is Oakland. They gave up multiple draft picks and a signing bonus they have to carry.

New England gave up nothing for Brown and with a one year deal is expendable if things don't work out.

Plus it seems that no matter what happens New England always seems to have a boatload of draft picks come each April and they always seem to have cap room to add a player or make a trade.

I wonder why that is? :victorious:

Because, unlike this one, their organization doesn't suck donkey taint from the top down?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.