• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I would laugh my ass off if Kirk Cousins takes the Vikings to the NFC Title Game as Case Keenum did last year against the Eagles, and then throws that killer INT in crunch time end Minnesota's hopes.

It would only confirm what I thought watching him here - he's not that comfortable acting on the big stage.

That's been his MO since he was in college. Here's what I posted about him after we drafted him in 2012:

As an MSU alum, I'll say what I've said before: he's a high character guy with good leadership skills. He can make all the throws but to me seems to have a tendency to make bad decisions in critical situations.

https://www.bgobsession.com/showthread.php/48074-Cousins?p=123494#post123494

'e turned me into a newt!...I got better...maybe not...

Terrell McClain has been released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.J. Francis gone as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn right.

Bruce doesn't seem to want to spend any money in 2018 on free agents but we did spend before last season on McClain and another underachiever in McGhee for the DL, and neither player produced anything near consistent results.

AJ Francis meanwhile is a whopping 337 and a mountain of a man but when he gets on the field as he did last season teams ran the ball right at him.

He's been hanging around the NFL for the past 2-3 years on practice squads and futures contracts because of his size, but he plays like a lamb not a lion.

Lots of rumblings on the 'Bruce Allen to the Raiders Front Office' front tonight. Don't know if it's wishful thinking or based on real discussions. My feelings are, not that it would be a bad thing, but that change isn't by default good. If the Redskins, Allen, and the Raiders are contemplating a move, I hope some serious thought has gone into what the new leadership structure will look like, and how to restructure it without alienating the significant talent we have currently in Ashburn. It's not Madden. Sending Bruce Allen on his way isn't some cure all or magic fix. It's what is put in his place and how well that has been thought out that makes it a good thing, or an overall negative.

Hate on Allen all we want (and a lot of that is well earned), but we are coming off maybe our 2 best drafts in quite a long time.

Lots of rumblings on the 'Bruce Allen to the Raiders Front Office' front tonight. Don't know if it's wishful thinking or based on real discussions. My feelings are, not that it would be a bad thing, but that change isn't by default good. If the Redskins, Allen, and the Raiders are contemplating a move, I hope some serious thought has gone into what the new leadership structure will look like, and how to restructure it without alienating the significant talent we have currently in Ashburn. It's not Madden. Sending Bruce Allen on his way isn't some cure all or magic fix. It's what is put in his place and how well that has been thought out that makes it a good thing, or an overall negative.

Hate on Allen all we want (and a lot of that is well earned), but we are coming off maybe our 2 best drafts in quite a long time.

Don't know about the strength of the rumors, but as far as being ready for re-structuring, it seems Scott Campbell would provide a smooth, relatively seamless and reputable transition, that I would be comfortable with. Promoting from within is always the smoothest change, especially if the person has earned it, and it appears Campbell has.

I would have to think, if I'm Doug Williams, I'm thinking as the current #2 top dog behind Bruce Allen, that I am the heir apparent if Allen departs. Is that the case? I don't know. If it's not the case, how happy is Doug Williams going to be about getting passed over for someone else? If Allen leaves, and Williams is named GM (assuming they even return to that structure) - how happy is Scott Campbell? What about the latest, greatest young guru Kyle Smith - what's his role? 'Promoting from within' sounds great - but promote who and to what? How you answer that is going to have a lot to do with whether it's a smooth transition that results in improved organizational performance and also may drive whether or not we retain or lose more promising talent.

For me there's no love lost with Bruce Allen. I've always viewed him as a politician and glad-hander, not a true football guy. But I hope if he is leaving that there's been some serious thought given as to what the new power structure is going to be. There's little in this franchise's recent history to elicit a lot of faith and trust that what follows will be better and more effective than what preceded it.

Fans always want to light the torches and burn it all down. Doesn't mean what comes in the aftermath is a good thing or even an improvement. Few want to hear that - but I think it's a valid viewpoint.

Don't know about the strength of the rumors, but as far as being ready for re-structuring, it seems Scott Campbell would provide a smooth, relatively seamless and reputable transition, that I would be comfortable with. Promoting from within is always the smoothest change, especially if the person has earned it, and it appears Campbell has.

Btw - where've you been Fear - we've missed you!

I would have to think, if I'm Doug Williams, I'm thinking as the current #2 top dog behind Bruce Allen, that I am the heir apparent if Allen departs. Is that the case? I don't know. If it's not the case, how happy is Doug Williams going to be about getting passed over for someone else?

My understanding of the way that business promotions usually work, is that the “next in line” doesn't always automatically get the promotion. It's usually an open, fair competition of interviews of all who are interested, and you could make a very strong case that Campbell has the most impressive resume, qualifications and experience of anyone else in the building. Williams has really not been in a FO role very long. But I can see how he might feel wronged if he doesn't get the job.

Btw - where've you been Fear - we've missed you!

Thanks for the kind words. Been dealin with heath stuff. But doin okay now.

My understanding of the way that business promotions usually work, is that the “next in line” doesn't always automatically get the promotion. It's usually an open, fair competition of interviews of all who are interested, and you could make a very strong case that Campbell has the most impressive resume, qualifications and experience of anyone else in the building. Williams has really not been in a FO role very long. But I can see how he might feel wronged if he doesn't get the job.

Sure - I get that and that's not a bad thing. I just worry about the talent exit. We've lost some seriously talented scouting and FO talent in recent years, and I'd really hate to see that continue, especially if it were due to mishandling this kind of potential situation.

Fear The Spear said:
Thanks for the kind words. Been dealin with heath stuff. But doin okay now.

Sorry to hear that and hope you are good Fear. You should feel good that when you aren't around, folks notice. Glad to see you back! :cheers:

Allen straight-up for Khalil Mack. Make it happen... :scholar:

The Raiders may ask us to give them a middle round pick to take him off our hands.

Seriously, it seems that Williams is next man up with him giving way in a couple of years to Kyle Smith.

That's one way of looking at it. But Williams has only been a Redskins executive for 4 years. Then there's Scott Campbell, who's been working for 17 effing years for this franchise. Not saying that if Allen departs, it won't be Williams. But I'm not sure it should be. I do *get* that Doug Williams occupies a unique position as a legendary Redskins QB from the glory years. But man, that would be a tough pill to swallow for Campbell.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Matt Jones cut by Colts - just another chink in Scot McCloughan's armor.

Guy is probably the most overrated Redskins 'saviours' of all time. The decision to move him on (whether handled clumsily or unprofessionally or not) is looking smarter every day.

That's one way of looking at it. But Williams has only been a Redskins executive for 4 years. Then there's Scott Campbell, who's been working for 17 effing years for this franchise. Not saying that if Allen departs, it won't be Williams. But I'm not sure it should be. I do *get* that Doug Williams occupies a unique position as a legendary Redskins QB from the glory years. But man, that would be a tough pill to swallow for Campbell.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Just a thought but perhaps Campbell is happy where he is and doesn't want to move up? I know that sounds odd but he has been here 17 years and is very well thought of (apparently). I just have to wonder if maybe he has turned down promotions cause he likes his role. I know a lot of guys in the business world who have turned down promotions for a myriad of different reasons, some absolutely reasonable and some really bizarre.

Last edited:
Sure, that's possible. I guess my general point is that fans over simplify things. Boot this guy, hire that one. Cut this player, sign that one. Problems solved. I would just argue that nothing is ever that simple.

Seems like an odd time to want to shake up the team's organizational structure to me. Coming off 2 straight successful drafts - this one perhaps the best in 20 years. The recent moves seem to suggest one of two things. Either Allen's fingerprints are all over things, because he's figuring it out. Or he's backed off and handed off to his football guys and Doug Williams.

Both scenarios would seem to bode well for the team's future success.

In light of that, 'let's shake it all up' seems like an odd imperative to me?

I know I'm alone in that concern... lol...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.