• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Bryant was never the fastest player at WR. But he has the size and body control to be a productive WR into his 30's if he stays in shape.

Really, it comes down to his attitude towards his craft. If he gets cut and still shows the fire to compete he could be worth a contract. But with what Bryant did in 2017 it's possible he's burned out and simply looking to stay in the league for the money.

But again, if Bryant is simply released by Dallas and is an unrestricted free agent there is no reason we should not talk to him.

He can run the slant and 20 yard out with precision which is something our current crop of receivers can't seem to perfect.

Without that we aren't really a WCO in all practical senses.

That failure to execute these basic plays is one of the reasons Chris Thompson has had so much work the past couple of years.

Alex Smith is 6'5 and 225. So he has four inches on Cousins and his ability to see over the line of scrimmage is a variable you can't account for in a strict sense other than watching them play. Ditto with Roethlisberger. He is so tall at 6'6-6'7 I have seen him throw balls for TDs that most qbs wouldn't have been able to even see were plays to be made downfield. And that was really a product of his size more than his experience or arm strength.

Look at the successful quarterbacks. Brady is 6'4 or 6'5. Roethlisberger is taller. Philip Rivers is 6'5. Even guys like Wentz and Rodgers are legit 6'3 or 6'4.

Kirk Cousins is 6'1 wet.

His lack of size and arm strength cost him in big games over the last several years when he threw some ill-advised picks late in the fourth quarter.

He may be similar to Drew Brees in size but Brees not only processes the play faster on the field but he has a stronger and more accurate deep arm.

Earlier in his career when the Saints offense was tearing up the league his deep arm was probably the equal of anyone in the league in re accuracy.

Cousins has never been that accurate down the field. That is one of the chinks in his armor.

Alex Smith is 6'5 and 225. So he has four inches on Cousins and his ability to see over the line of scrimmage is a variable you can't account for in a strict sense other than watching them play. Ditto with Roethlisberger. He is so tall at 6'6-6'7 I have seen him throw balls for TDs that most qbs wouldn't have been able to even see were plays to be made downfield. And that was really a product of his size more than his experience or arm strength.

Look at the successful quarterbacks. Brady is 6'4 or 6'5. Roethlisberger is taller. Philip Rivers is 6'5. Even guys like Wentz and Rodgers are legit 6'3 or 6'4.

Kirk Cousins is 6'1 wet.

His lack of size and arm strength cost him in big games over the last several years when he threw some ill-advised picks late in the fourth quarter.

I like that Alex Smith has height, but you're argument isn't cemented in historical fact...

Drew Brees!

Read my add-on in re the comp to Brees. The only thing these guys have in common is their height. Brees is superior in mentally processing what he sees at the LOS, has better accuracy down the field and a stronger arm period.

I agree with your pointing out how much faster/better Brees processes plays. His downfield accuracy far surpasses Kurt:), as well.

But Cousins is listed a 6'-3". Where do you get 6'-1" from, Junior High?

It wouldn't shock me if Cousins' height was intentionally flubbed somewhere. Santana Moss was listed at like 5'10”, but I've run into him a few times around Loudoun and he's maybe two inches taller than I am. Maybe.

I'm 5'5”, by the way.

I don't think players can flub their measurables at the combine. Where he was listed as 6'-3".

Now, what has been constantly flubbed is his ability to win when it counts. Even when the odds are in your favor.

I don't think players can flub their measurables at the combine. Where he was listed as 6'-3".

Now, what has been constantly flubbed is his ability to win when it counts. Even when the odds are in your favor.

Wonder where Moss was listed in terms of height. i see Antwan Randel-El every couple weeks or so. He's the AD at my daughter's school (It goes all the way up through HS). He's another one who really isn't a whole lot taller than I am, man-to-man.

A 31QBR against the second-worst pass defense in the league isn't the fault of the WR's. It's a QB crapping the bed. Locking on to one WR and not even looking in the direction of others because you don't ‘trust' them is a real issue... but another team's issue now, thankfully.

6'3 for Cousins just doesn't pass the smell test. I see him in the huddle with guys like Reed that are a legit 6'3 and he's not that tall.

The Redskins used to list Joe Theismann at 6'2 and he was never more than 6'0, he later confirmed that. He was on an interview I watched where they asked him about a guy like Dave Butz and he said Butz was massive. He was listed at 6'7 and 295, but he went 318-320 and that was once he came to camp and worked himself into shape.

To me the one way you can tell Cousins had trouble with the height of the linemen while throwing was that when flushed within the pocket and forced to throw he often failed to see the over/under double coverage, missing the short man and only seeing the deep cover.

He would get up and look surprised that his pass was picked off because he simply failed to locate the safety or second corner.

Saw Robert Davis at the grocery store over the weekend. Considered approaching him but I've always been a firm believer of letting players go about their business when I see them away from team things. That's a big man... I'm really hoping he can take steps forward this year and break through.

So Alex Smith recently said at a press day...

“Letters not numbers, that's kind of the saying. Letters are what's important, wins and losses. You can get caught up, especially this day and age with fantasy and all these stats. With that, obviously, there's a balance.”

I'm not sure that Alex is the kind to engage in trolling, and I'm 99% sure this is just a statement to reassure the fans where his focus is.

But a little part of me reads that as a dig at Kirks seasons where his stats overshadowed the W/L column. Shots fired? :)

I think he kinda took the shot at himself. People keep bringing up what a great year he had last year, statistically. He's saying that it doesn't mean much. And that he'd rather have postseason W's than stats.

The self absorbed stat guy is now a Viking.

I would laugh my ass off if Kirk Cousins takes the Vikings to the NFC Title Game as Case Keenum did last year against the Eagles, and then throws that killer INT in crunch time end Minnesota's hopes.

It would only confirm what I thought watching him here - he's not that comfortable acting on the big stage.

Early schedule leaks show Redskins play Dallas on Thanksgiving for our third Thanksgiving Day game in a row.

Talking about the Cowboys and Thanksgiving, looking at areas for improvement we have no further to look than the NFC East.

In a down year for the division outside of the Eagles, the Redskins finished 1-5. We even lost the last game of the season to the no-account Giants whose coach was fired and who were set to finish 2-14.

So about 7 weeks ago I pulled up a YouTube replay of the 'Skins 82 NFC Champ game win over the Pukes...cuz, well, we have to kind of live in the past right? Anyway, afterward I'm looking through the comments and some joker, Cowboyfan something-or-other, writes "I mean, you gotta give Danny White some credit. Has there ever been another QB who also punted? Yadda yadda yadda. As fast as my gnarled sausage fingers could type I happily replied simply, "Sammy Baugh."

Never got a response, but as I listened to the wind for days thereafter I could swear I heard teeth grinding somewhere out in the West Plains....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.